Jump to content

England expands COVID-19 vaccination programme to more groups


Recommended Posts

England expands COVID-19 vaccination programme to more groups

 

2021-01-17T224623Z_1_LYNXMPEH0G0IU_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: People wait in line outside Batchwood Hall, which has been turned into an NHS vaccine centre, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in St Albans, Britain, January 15, 2021. REUTERS/Paul Childs/File Photo

 

LONDON (Reuters) - England will launch the next phase of its COVID-19 vaccination programme on Monday when it will start offering doses to people aged 70 and above and those who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable to the coronavirus.

 

The vaccination programme - the biggest so far in Europe - has focused until now on people aged 80 and older as well as frontline health and care staff.

 

"Today is a significant milestone in our vaccination programme as we open it up to millions more people who are most at risk from COVID-19," British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday.

 

"We have a long way to go and there will doubtless be challenges ahead - but by working together we are making huge progress in our fight against this virus."

 

Health minister Matt Hancock said more than half of all over-80s had now had a vaccination.

 

Britain - which has Europe's highest COVID-19 death toll - hopes progress with rolling out the vaccines will enable it to ease some of the economically damaging lockdown restrictions in March, foreign minister Dominic Raab said.

 

The government wanted all adults to have been offered a first vaccination by September, he said, adding: "If we can do it faster than that, great. But that's the roadmap."

 

Johnson has set a target of vaccinating the four most at-risk categories - encompassing roughly 14 million people - by the middle of February.

 

The government said that the first two groups in its programme would remain its priority but that vaccination sites which can take in more people will invite members of the next two cohorts for their shots.

 

Sunday's announcement related to vaccinations in England, a health ministry spokesman said. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own powers over health policy.

 

(Writing by William Schomberg; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-18
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webfact said:

when it will start offering doses to people aged 70 and above and those who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable to the coronavirus.

So, if that is what they mean with expanding??? Who were they going to give it to from start? I am sure that the citizens of UK are very pleased with such grace given. 😆

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

its a good start. so health workers and 80+ so far ,lets hope it continues and they get the nos up,the rest of europe can follow asap.by mid feb a lotta people covered.i wonder when UK people can get the jab here thru the embassy as im sure the staff will get it.dont hold your breath on that .my guess is that we will have to pay thru the nose to get the uk vacc ourselves here from local authority.thais and other foreigners will get it free in england so they can stop the epidemic,the virus isnt racist! here its me and money. come on embassy do something once just for a change

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rupert the bear said:

its a good start. so health workers and 80+ so far ,lets hope it continues and they get the nos up,the rest of europe can follow asap.by mid feb a lotta people covered.i wonder when UK people can get the jab here thru the embassy as im sure the staff will get it.dont hold your breath on that .my guess is that we will have to pay thru the nose to get the uk vacc ourselves here from local authority.thais and other foreigners will get it free in england so they can stop the epidemic,the virus isnt racist! here its me and money. come on embassy do something once just for a change

only seems fair to me, you made your choices, as an ex pat just how much do you contribute to the NHS? If the embassy had the resources and it was profitable then they could set up a vaccination centre, but they aren't the red Cross!!! 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

So, if that is what they mean with expanding??? Who were they going to give it to from start?

the over 80s and health workers

5 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

I am sure that the citizens of UK are very pleased with such grace given. 😆

Yes, how is your country fairing in its vaccination of its citizens?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Megasin1 said:

only seems fair to me, you made your choices, as an ex pat just how much do you contribute to the NHS? If the embassy had the resources and it was profitable then they could set up a vaccination centre, but they aren't the red Cross!!! 

im a uk taxpayer i was born outside the UK both my parents were UK born and we lived in a part of the world that was then britain IE HK so what exactly are you trying to say,i continued to live there till recently.so what do you want me to do move to uk where ive never lived...? the crown has a duty of service as we had to it.my parents served it for 50 yrs.,the uk embasssy isnt a profit making org,never has been,its purpose is to serve the needs of citizens overseas and the needs of the UK govt/business.the uk govt has a responsibility to citizens and tax payers.the UK has avoided some of the redtape of the EU and launched a successful attempt at vaccination they should be congratulated but the staff at the embassy will be vaccinated so why not itizens as they the staff were sent here to work as most of us were in asia are or working here....

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comments removed
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

They do not even recognize any vaccine yet. Rightfully so!

Rightly or wrongly is a matter of opinion, The UK isnt forcing the vaccine on anybody, people have the right to choose to receive it or refuse. I would rather have the option to decide then no option at all.

The UK has currently vaccinated over 3million people who had the Choice, it is now been offered to the next tier of people (over 70s and medically vulnerable) who can either get their vaccination or not. If you believe this is a stick to beat the UK with, up to you but i really dont see why you would belive having NO choice is better than having a choice

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidgy said:

Rightly or wrongly is a matter of opinion, The UK isnt forcing the vaccine on anybody, people have the right to choose to receive it or refuse. I would rather have the option to decide then no option at all.

The UK has currently vaccinated over 3million people who had the Choice, it is now been offered to the next tier of people (over 70s and medically vulnerable) who can either get their vaccination or not. If you believe this is a stick to beat the UK with, up to you but i really dont see why you would belive having NO choice is better than having a choice

The answer to failing to see things is easy! We are talking about general population making a judgement, without enough knowledge to make a safe decision. As well as we have age restrictions for having sex as laws in countries, we also have departments i the governments that should have enough knowledge to protect us and not put the choice in a blind populations hands.
 

What you just tried to state is that we also can skip safety for underaged, and let people chose the preferable age they wish to have sex with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

The answer to failing to see things is easy! We are talking about general population making a judgement, without enough knowledge to make a safe decision. As well as we have age restrictions for having sex as laws in countries, we also have departments i the governments that should have enough knowledge to protect us and not put the choice in a blind populations hands.
 

What you just tried to state is that we also can skip safety for underaged, and let people chose the preferable age they wish to have sex with.

I dont think i stated anything of the sort so please dont put words in my mouth  The age of consent is a Law, which if you break the law you can be punished,  Having a choice to take a vaccine  for Covid or not is not against any Law in the UK so why your bringing up inderage sex is beyond me!

You are correct the government does have departments, and the UK health department (along with many other countries) have deemed the vaccine to be safe for the general population. What is your point?

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sidgy said:

I dont think i stated anything of the sort so please dont put words in my mouth  The age of consent is a Law, which if you break the law you can be punished,  Having a choice to take a vaccine  for Covid or not is not against any Law in the UK so why your bringing up inderage sex is beyond me!

You are correct the government does have departments, and the UK health department (along with many other countries) have deemed the vaccine to be safe for the general population. What is your point?

My point is that nobody can say for sure that Covid vaccine is safe yet. Taking a calculated risk, as UK do, is not protecting it´s population.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

My point is that nobody can say for sure that Covid vaccine is safe yet. Taking a calculated risk, as UK do, is not protecting it´s population.

Again, who is forced to take the vaccine? How is taking a vaccine not protecting people? Do you know what calculated risk means?

Your Anti-vaxxer stance is your choice, people who take the vaccine in the UK is Their choice, and they do have a choice, unlike the population of Icelend, who it would seem by your previous post, have the inability to make informed choices themselves and need the government to dictate to them as they cannot be trusted to make these *blind decisions*

19 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

the governments that should have enough knowledge to protect us and not put the choice in a blind populations hands.

 is that the same trusted government who were overseeing the icelandic banks pre 2008 and allowed them to collapse, im sure that was protecting the population rather then their fat cat friends!

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sidgy said:

Again, who is forced to take the vaccine? How is taking a vaccine not protecting people? Do you know what calculated risk means?

Your Anti-vaxxer stance is your choice, people who take the vaccine in the UK is Their choice, and they do have a choice, unlike the population of Icelend, who it would seem by your previous post, have the inability to make informed choices themselves and need the government to dictate to them as they cannot be trusted to make these *blind decisions*

 is that the same trusted government who were overseeing the icelandic banks pre 2008 and allowed them to collapse, im sure that was protecting the population rather then their fat cat friends!

Seems to me that you assume a lot. Why do you think I am from Iceland, just because I have an Icelandic name? Mr. Andresson in USA, must come from Sweden then, right? Maybe his ancestors around year 1600-1800 with the Mayflower and other similars.

 

What do I have to do with Icelandic banks and if they were allowed to collapse. What does even this thread have for relevance to that?

You posted: How is taking a vaccine not protecting people?

Answer: Oh, that might be the lack of research regarding possible reaction to the vaccine in question. 😵

Also sorry! Yes, I know what calculated risk means and stand for. Just that I forgot to fence the word. It should be "calculated", because they seem to have problem defining that meaning, as well as you.

 

You are also very ill informed: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwirjYio-6nuAhXIUt4KHdmGCUkQFjACegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icelandreview.com%2Fask-ir%2Fwhats-the-status-of-covid-19-vaccination-in-iceland%2F&usg=AOvVaw1voQIuvDRe8VIElsBwQEWa

 

Better do you research better in the future.......Ta ta ta taaaaa! 😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...