WD Red Drive Warrantee Procedure

recom273

Does anyone have a telephone number or experience of dealing with WD here?

I tried the Thai website, it’s only in Thai.

The red drives have a 3 year warrantee, I just moved one drive from a synology DiskStation to a rackstation, followed the erase procedure, now, it’s throwing an error.

The drive is 6 months old, with 3500 hours, bought from from JIB.

Edited by recom273
  • Haha 1

Good Luck with that! Warranty in Thailand, means that you have to prove you are not the cause of the failure. Second good thing is that you will have to send it or make a shop send it and will have the answer how you warranty turned out about 3 month later.

Just take your losses and pay for repair or let someone try and save the data, throw it and buy a new one.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not my experience at all.. once had a WD disk fail went to the old pantip plaza in BKK where they had a service center and it was replaced on the spot after some tests and a check of the serial.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, not in my experience either.

This is WD, these are enterprise drives (well they aren’t SAS, but still) they have a proper replacement program. I can wait for the result and respect the decision, but I’m pretty confident in the drives ( I have over 18 drives running in different servers ) and my regular use of them.

I contacted JIB, response was really good, I was seriously I impressed by the service, someone picked up the phone at 9.00 am.

The only problem was, I didn’t buy it from them, she ran the serial numbers and came back with a blank. I checked on Lazada, I bought from MC Winner, I thought it was a shop like JIB, but it’s a small stall at Panthip! 

JIB gave me the WD TH telephone number and we can see what happens at 11 when they open.

One lesson learned - buy HDD from JIB or Smart Solutions.

18 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, not in my experience either.

This is WD, these are enterprise drives (well they aren’t SAS, but still) they have a proper replacement program. I can wait for the result and respect the decision, but I’m pretty confident in the drives ( I have over 18 drives running in different servers ) and my regular use of them.

I contacted JIB, response was really good, I was seriously I impressed by the service, someone picked up the phone at 9.00 am.

The only problem was, I didn’t buy it from them, she ran the serial numbers and came back with a blank. I checked on Lazada, I bought from MC Winner, I thought it was a shop like JIB, but it’s a small stall at Panthip! 

JIB gave me the WD TH telephone number and we can see what happens at 11 when they open.

One lesson learned - buy HDD from JIB or Smart Solutions.

Another lesson...........do not buy HDD these days, SSD is the only way.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Another lesson...........do not buy HDD these days, SSD is the only way.

I don’t think they are really that accessible yet for server use yet.

2TB is the largest, right? - I put a 500GB Nvme as a cache drive in my unRaid server, 2000B = 4000B/TB * 36TB array = get me ? 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

2TB is the largest, right? - I put a 500GB Nvme as a cache drive in my unRaid server, 2000B = 4000B/TB * 36TB array = get me ? 

Kinnel, that's a lot of movies!!!    LOL

6 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Up to 8TB on Invade.....but 32k baht. = 4000 Bht per TB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Not my experience at all.. once had a WD disk fail went to the old pantip plaza in BKK where they had a service center and it was replaced on the spot after some tests and a check of the serial.

They are still at Panthip - 02 652 6510 - LINE - wdcentre

They understood everything I was saying, no questions, effortless 2 min call, no request to send it to the shop, just send it up and we will / can replace it.

I need to wait for the synology to run it’s setup parity first and then do an extended SMART to verify it’s got issues then will send up to them. 

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I work with computers and over the years I exchanged at least 20 HDDs on warranty. 

All the disks had stickers from the Thai distributors. Sometimes the disks were replaced right away, sometimes after a few days.

It never happend that a disk was not replaced.

And some of these disks were still running but they had a few bad sectors. That was good enough to get them replaced on warranty.

Yep, for sure! Of course they change a disk after 2 years that have a few bad sectors. ????

I am probably jusy the most unlucky guy in the world.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Yep, for sure! Of course they change a disk after 2 years that have a few bad sectors. ????

I am probably jusy the most unlucky guy in the world.

Why should I lie about those little things?

I work with computers since forever and I never had problems with any warranty on any computer parts in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If it has Trusted by Synnex sticker on, contact them instead. They have (had?) service centres in Pantip Plaza Pratunam and would generally inspect things and replace them very quickly.

There are some sensors in drive to show if you dropped them. If not, and they failed, it was just a replacement. There were posters on the walls of waiting room to show what's covered and what's not.

It used to be (before they closed for renovation) on the top floor (same as IT City) near the parking lot exit.

16 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If it has Trusted by Synnex sticker on, contact them instead. They have (had?) service centres in Pantip Plaza Pratunam and would generally inspect things and replace them very quickly.

There are some sensors in drive to show if you dropped them. If not, and they failed, it was just a replacement. There were posters on the walls of waiting room to show what's covered and what's not.

It used to be (before they closed for renovation) on the top floor (same as IT City) near the parking lot exit.

No, WD have their own RMA system.

But that’s another service our friend seems to not recognize, I used synnex when a UPS stopped holding a charge at around the 6 month mark, rather than change the battery myself, I thought It was worth a try to return the UPS.

The synnex  guy was apologetic that it would be a 3 week turnaround, 10 days later he was on the phone telling me to come pick my repaired unit. 

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

No, WD have their own RMA system.

But that’s another service our friend seems to not recognize, I used synnex when a UPS stopped holding a charge at around the 6 month mark, rather than change the battery myself, I thought It was worth a try to return the UPS.

The synnex  guy was apologetic that it would be a 3 week turnaround, 10 days later he was on the phone telling me to come pick my repaired unit. 

Could be that they have. But all my WD drives (bought from Banana IT) have Trusted by Synnex stickers on the boxes and it was always Synnex that handled the replacements. Never had to deal with WD directly.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why should I lie about those little things?

I work with computers since forever and I never had problems with any warranty on any computer parts in Thailand.

I don´t know. As you work with it, you are probably telling the truth. That will still mean I am the most unlucky guy in the world. ????

have tried to both change HD as well as Internal DVD for laptop. Always took like 3-4 month, and then I just told them to keep the things and bought new instead.

38 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

I don´t know. As you work with it, you are probably telling the truth. That will still mean I am the most unlucky guy in the world. ????

have tried to both change HD as well as Internal DVD for laptop. Always took like 3-4 month, and then I just told them to keep the things and bought new instead.

Maybe we are getting nearer to the problem.

My experience is with computer parts which I bought as parts in Thailand. I.e. I bought HDDs, UPS, etc. and I exchanged these parts. No problems.

Personally my clients and I had problems with some suppliers of computers, especially notebooks. When they had problems it took sometimes a long time for the companies to detect problems and repair problems or exchange parts.

One of the problems/misunderstandings is that many people buy i.e. notebooks which are cheap. I.e. you might be able to buy one model notebook for 20k and another one, from the same brand, with similar specs, for 30k or more. What is the difference?

The cheap models are often so called consumer products. The more expensive products are business products.

Warranty and exchange times for consumer products is often slow. Warranty for business products is mostly fast.

This is why I recommend that people who need their computers everyday should buy business products. It's just too expensive not to have a computer for a week or even longer.

Important: This is not primarily about brands. Many brands have cheap consumer products and more expensive business products. Some people think they buy a brand name product and they have the quality from the business products in mind. And then they buy cheap consumer models with bad quality and slow service...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Could be that they have. But all my WD drives (bought from Banana IT) have Trusted by Synnex stickers on the boxes and it was always Synnex that handled the replacements. Never had to deal with WD directly.

I was about to say, “as far as I know, enterprise drives don’t come in a box, they come in sealed silver packs, from a box of 24.”

I looked down at the bin and there was a silver pack, yup, they are “trusted by synnex” - thanks, but It’s just as easy for me to run to Kerry around the corner than to run back and forth to synnex. Good thinking tho’.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe we are getting nearer to the problem.

My experience is with computer parts which I bought as parts in Thailand. I.e. I bought HDDs, UPS, etc. and I exchanged these parts. No problems.

Personally my clients and I had problems with some suppliers of computers, especially notebooks. When they had problems it took sometimes a long time for the companies to detect problems and repair problems or exchange parts.

One of the problems/misunderstandings is that many people buy i.e. notebooks which are cheap. I.e. you might be able to buy one model notebook for 20k and another one, from the same brand, with similar specs, for 30k or more. What is the difference?

The cheap models are often so called consumer products. The more expensive products are business products.

Warranty and exchange times for consumer products is often slow. Warranty for business products is mostly fast.

This is why I recommend that people who need their computers everyday should buy business products. It's just too expensive not to have a computer for a week or even longer.

Important: This is not primarily about brands. Many brands have cheap consumer products and more expensive business products. Some people think they buy a brand name product and they have the quality from the business products in mind. And then they buy cheap consumer models with bad quality and slow service...

My dear friend, thank you for getting me back to Pathom 1. We can say like this. You are not the only one working with computers. May it be both hardware and programming as well as delvelopment or only hardware? Whatever. I always buy business class.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

Quite probably recently had a two tb m2 ssd from samsung that failed. Went to the dealer in BKK (i live in BKK) replaced it on the spot.

Just like WD did for me in the past. So you are probably unlucky or buy from the wrong shops. Sometimes it helps to directly deal with the service center.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

My dear friend, thank you for getting me back to Pathom 1. We can say like this. You are not the only one working with computers. May it be both hardware and programming as well as delvelopment or only hardware? Whatever. I always buy business class.

It's great that you always buy business class.

But as you know this is not a conversation between you and me but a public forum were people read and (at least some) try to learn something.

I can assure you that there are many people out there who buy consumer products and then they are surprised that they don't get business service. It seems you know that already, great!

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Quite probably recently had a two tb m2 ssd from samsung that failed. Went to the dealer in BKK (i live in BKK) replaced it on the spot.

If you don't mind me asking: How did it fail? Was it working and then it stopped working completely or what was wrong?

2TB data is a lot.

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If you don't mind me asking: How did it fail? Was it working and then it stopped working completely or what was wrong?

2TB data is a lot.

Started getting errors bios told me to replace it. Did not lose a lot but did lose a lil bit. Should have taken heed of the errors before. I was a bit too late making the backup thought it was a bios error at first like that i set boot order .. did not really look at it.. tried to make a clone of the windows drive did not work anymore. But i thankfully had all my data so it only meant reinstalling windows.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Started getting errors bios told me to replace it. Did not lose a lot but did lose a lil bit. Should have taken heed of the errors before. I was a bit too late making the backup thought it was a bios error at first like that i set boot order .. did not really look at it.. tried to make a clone of the windows drive did not work anymore. But i thankfully had all my data so it only meant reinstalling windows.

Thanks!

Yes, it's always a good idea to react when those little warnings appear before it get's worse.

And if we don't do that then often we find out soon: I should have taken that warning serious - I know the problem. ????