Suicide on the rise in Thailand as stress from Covid and the economy increases

webfact

Suicide on the rise in Thailand as stress from Covid and the economy increases

5pm.jpg

Picture: Spring News

Thai media Spring News reported on the increasing prevalence of suicide in Thailand and what to do if stress from the Covid-19 pandemic is getting too much to bear. 

They said that 53,000 to 54,000 Thais try to kill themselves each year.

Around 4,000 are successful, that is 6-6.5 per 100,000 of the population. 

The figure has been on the rise since 2017, affecting mostly adults, more men than women, those in and out of work and the elderly. 

Main reasons for suicide are to do with relationships, drinking and drug issues, chronic pain and mental illness and economic issues.

The latter, they said, were on the rise during the pandemic. 

Those particularly at risk were people with mental health issues, chronic illness, unemployment, no relatives, the unmarried, those with a history of suicide attempts and those with suicide attempts in the family. 

Dr Somboon Hathaiusuk, a mental health professional at Sirirat Hospital, said that the pandemic was causing much stress. 

As the pandemic drags on, and may well do for some time, he suggested seeking help if you have depression or negative thoughts. He said that Thais have faced many problems, this is just another one to confront. 

He suggested doing activities that you like rather than letting thoughts of the pandemic overwhelm you.

Don't dwell on the bad news from social media - limit yourself to that just a couple of times a day. 

Try and explain and share your feelings of anxiety with a trusted person. 

A problem shared is often a problem halved, he suggested, and we often discover that others are in a similar or worse boat to ourselves. 

Source: Spring News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-18

The charity Samaritans is available around the clock for people who want to talk.

If you or anyone you know is in need of mental health services, please contact the Samaritans of Thailand at their 24-hour hotline 02-713-6791 (English), 02713-6793 (Thai) or Thai Mental Health Hotline at 1323 (Thai).

http://www.samaritansthai.com/news/samaritans-of-thailand-english-hotline/ 

• Sad 3

Suicide, ok you do it yourself, but you were forced by the system you live in. Technically murder then?

Your wife divorces you and you kill your self, murder? You get fired for some reason and you kill yourself, murder? 

Sometimes you get out of those worries and sometimes its enough.

You came to this world and no one asked you if you wanted it.

So ending your life is , i think , a right to do so. 

Amazingly though how it works.

There are so many people, they "live" , have nothing and dont step out and otherwise people who have it all and just step out.  

All depending when the brain pops and say its enough.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

The stress among non Thai are also on the increase, having to witness the economic calamity and the restrictions of freedom and movements, while all the while unable to go back home to their respective country and thus caught between the a rock and a hard place, not a good times at all, which ever direction you look nothing bud doom and gloom... 

I can see where you are coming from but my country being the UK is a dangerous place to be right now, covid wise, and all the time here in Thailand it is much safer and warmer . The economic calamity is global bar China . Hang on in there.

4 hours ago, starky said:

And another one and another one. This idea of locking ourselves away and everything will be great is fallcious. Eventually governments will have to give up and let people be exposed to it. The mortality rate is minimal, lockdowns clearly don't work and the vaccine is no silver bullet.

I couldn't have said it better Myself.

"There are no historical observations or scientific studies that support the confinement by quarantine of groups of possibly infected people for extended periods in order to slow the spread of influenza. A World Health Organization (WHO) Writing Group, after reviewing the literature and considering contemporary international experience, concluded that “forced isolation and quarantine are ineffective and impractical.” Despite this recommendation by experts, mandatory large-scale quarantine continues to be considered as an option by some authorities and government officials."

• Thanks 2

We are not in a red zone, and most things are open. But Thai people are staying away in droves and local restaurants and services have no customers. Even schools have been closed although there is no requirement in our province for such. Thai people I talk with are scared of Covid like it is the plague. Even though the risk of dying from it is very low for the average person.

I would like to see more reassurance given to people that it is safe to go out and support the local economy and local jobs in the safe provinces. I can't understand how education is rated so low that schools decide to close when there is no need.

• Like 2

Well, we know that psychology and psychiatry are not strong points in Thailand. What did that doctor say recently? Talk to your friends to relieve stress (or something like that). Having said that, many or most Thais like to talk to the monks because their philosophy is highly respected...all the way up the ladder, so to speak. Perhaps people could ask Chief Monks for help as they might have more influence. Stress is a killer, physically and mentally and if it isn't dealt with it can spiral quickly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

The stress among non Thai are also on the increase, having to witness the economic calamity and the restrictions of freedom and movements, while all the while unable to go back home to their respective country and thus caught between the a rock and a hard place, not a good times at all, which ever direction you look nothing bud doom and gloom... 

Very good points actually, but you can be sure that the non Thai are at the bottom of the list as far as any kind of help is concerned.

54 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

These suicides are not being reported, I only hear Murders 

I guess the reason that are not much in news, because government don't want some others find it as a final solution (or trendy among those with problems) to their pain.