American tax return help

Are there any Americans offering free or cheap help to other Americans for help in filing their 2020 tax returns? 

I live on SSDI payments and have 2 children I support and also who qualified for the money given to Americans but they didn't receive it. 

I have no additional income to report. But want to claim any credits possible. Need help if possible. 

Live in bkk.. Ladproa area. Please reply PM

• Like 1

It has been my experience anything "free" is worth exactly what you pay for it.  But I am sure there are exceptions and the Harvard educated, former Wall Street tax preparer will step forward to volunteer free service any moment.

But if he doesn't, I have used this guy in past for simple returns   https://www.johnniestaxservice.net/       Helped me out of a jam.    Reasonable price for what he did for me.   Very fast turn around.

as always YMMV

• Like 1
2 hours ago, timendres said:

I have used Turbo Tax for years now. If your income is below $30k (if I remember correctly), it is free to use. It properly handles the US tax exemption for my Thai income, my dividends, my capital gains, as well as my rental property income in the US. It is super simple to use. I print my returns and mail them via EMS, and I have never had a problem. I would give it a try to see if it can handle all of your deductions.

Tried them.. Biggest problems I'm facing are... Wife is Thai so filing status is uncertain. 

Income is SSDI and its website says qualify for EITC and child credits but online app doesn't permit it. 

Only income is 12864 yearly from SSDI. No other filing claims except that one and dependents care. About 18000 in credits for children and EITC if applied. Also uncertain about disability credits. Could be more. 

Either way. I need some help with someone in Thailand in same situation that has filed before. 

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Tried them.. Biggest problems I'm facing are... Wife is Thai so filing status is uncertain. 

Income is SSDI and its website says qualify for EITC and child credits but online app doesn't permit it. 

Only income is 12864 yearly from SSDI. No other filing claims except that one and dependents care. About 18000 in credits for children and EITC if applied. Also uncertain about disability credits. Could be more. 

Either way. I need some help with someone in Thailand in same situation that has filed before. 

You need to apply for an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) for your wife.

Start here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

You need to apply for an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) for your wife.

If you opt to file jointly with your non-resident alien spouse after obtaining an ITIN for her, you will also need to report all of your wife's income and pay US tax on it. While this may be of benefit to you in terms of lowered tax rates and tax credits for Thai income tax paid on your wife's income, you may have an issue if she has investments in local mutual funds or whole-life insurance policies.  US tax treatment of, and reporting requirements related to, non-US financial products such as these can be very problematic. Real estate can also be an issue.  If your wife has no investments or property, things should be much simpler. If you have qualifying dependents with SSNs, you can file as head of household without having to get an ITIN for your wife, which might be a practical solution if your wife has investments or real estate. I'd suggest you find a tax professional to help if your wife has income, investments or property.

2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

If you have, or did at any time during the year, more than the equivalent of US$ 10,000. In a Thai bank you will also need to compete an FBAR report.  This is done electronically so it’s quite easy.  Google “FBAR reporting” for more info.

12 hours ago, BTempleman said:

Does each member of your family have a SSN or TIN? 

Only myself and my kids... not interested to include thai wife and start paying tax on her income... normally i do not ever file taxes because income is from ssdi and non taxable... but i want to get the stimulus unpaid to my children.... 

20 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have had some people offer unsolicited advice about tax returns that is 100% correct - - but correct for them, not for me. 

Get professional advice. 

Thanks... im not asking someone to do it for me... and wont divulge personal info other than my name and some amounts of income... just seeking some solid advice on which boxes to tick and which forms am eligible to get the most benefit to increase a refund.. 

All i am seeing is the stimulus my kids didnt get.... but know there are more credits available if fill the forms correctly... and dont know if they would increase a refund due to me or be a waste of time filling out... Normally i am not required to file taxes... so any solid advice based on my circumstances are helpful. 

22 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Are there any Americans offering free or cheap help to other Americans for help in filing their 2020 tax returns? 

I live on SSDI payments and have 2 children I support and also who qualified for the money given to Americans but they didn't receive it. 

I have no additional income to report. But want to claim any credits possible. Need help if possible. 

I just printed out the 2020 forms I need from the IRS website as I have always mailed back the forms. This year I think I may look at the Free Electronic Filing. I had looked at  Turbo Tax years ago when working. Take a look at using the IRS Free sites as a possibility.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

I just printed out the 2020 forms I need from the IRS website as I have always mailed back the forms. This year I think I may look at the Free Electronic Filing. I had looked at  Turbo Tax years ago when working. Take a look at using the IRS Free sites as a possibility.

I was offered the free online ones due to low income based on SSDI only... But noone is there to answer any questions or give one on one help without asking exorbitant fees... 

2 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I was offered the free online ones due to low income based on SSDI only... But noone is there to answer any questions or give one on one help without asking exorbitant fees... 

I would recommend contacting the guy who offered to help in Chiang Mai and see what he says. It appears I may be claiming the $600.00 payment as a tax credit on my return (normally owe nothing and no refund.

23 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Turbo tax

• Like 1

Have you previously filed a tax return? If not, why not, and why now?

Is the IRS aware of your family?

Have you had any tax withheld, or paid any quarterly tax?

The bulk (probably 100%) of your SSDI will end up being tax exempt. Line 5a and 5b, there's a worksheet.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/social_security_benefits_worksheet_1040i.pdf

You can claim any missing EIP (#1 and #2) payments.

Not sure what your ultimate goal(s) is here?

Feel free to be very specific, assuming you seek help.

1 hour ago, thesetat2013 said:

Just read article on taxpayer advocate.irs.gov which days there will be a delay in processing 2020 paper returns. 20% reduction in employees and stimulus checks have backload of over 6 million 2019 paper returns. I think your best move is to check with the offer from Chiang Mai, get everything worked out on paper in front of you and then try to file electronically. While I will work out the return on paper, I intend to try to file electronically this year. Awaiting the $600.00 check in Chiang Mai.

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Have you previously filed a tax return? If not, why not, and why now?

Is the IRS aware of your family?

Have you had any tax withheld, or paid any quarterly tax?

The bulk (probably 100%) of your SSDI will end up being tax exempt. Line 5a and 5b, there's a worksheet.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/social_security_benefits_worksheet_1040i.pdf

You can claim any missing EIP (#1 and #2) payments.

Not sure what your ultimate goal(s) is here?

Feel free to be very specific, assuming you seek help.

MY income is strictly SSDI.... Is not enough to pay or needing to file taxes.... I never thought i could get EIP or child tax credits because didnt know my income can be counted as earned income... So i never bothered to do taxes for many years... 

If i qualified for any EIP or tax credits that got me a refund.... then i would file back taxes for last 3 years hahah... But with my income I being so low... and an expat.. i knew i qualified for not needing to file because income was less than their required amount.. 

My initial goal was only to get the stimulus 2 checks for my kids.... because they got the 1st one and didnt get this 2nd one... but as i read more into tax preparation i begin suspecting i may be entitled to more of a refund through EIP and child credits and disability credits and EITC. 

So now i am just seeking help to understand them in filing them to see if i can get more of a refund that would greatly help my family and debts. 

Otherwise i will just do the simple one to claim that stimulus for my kids. 

2 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Only myself and my kids... not interested to include thai wife and start paying tax on her income... normally i do not ever file taxes because income is from ssdi and non taxable... but i want to get the stimulus unpaid to my children.... 

Just saw this.

Your return is really quite simple...Lines 5a, 5b and Line 30 (Recovery Rebate Credit, where you claim any valid EIP payments which were not received. I'd only claim the first one this year, but you could try including the second one).

Taking your refund as a direct deposit in a U.S. bank might be ideal. How are you receiving your SSDI payments?

12 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

suspecting i may be entitled to more of a refund through EIP and child credits and disability credits and EITC. 

"more of a refund"?

Have you paid any taxes, or had any withheld (say from your SSDI payment)? If you haven't paid any taxes you really can't get a refund. 

As the first Stimulus payment was received I would expect that the second payment would arrive as well. I'd wait for that, and if it doesn't show up file next year (in 2022 for CY2021) to claim it. I wouldn't try claiming that on a 2020 1040.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Check US Embassy Citizens Service and/or email them, explain your issues. They may have a list of those providing IRS assistance.    
 https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/ 

Edited by Suradit69