369 new Covid-19 cases, most of them foreigners in Samut Sakhon

webfact

369 new Covid-19 cases, most of them foreigners in Samut Sakhon

By The Nation

800_389800f809965a2.jpg?v=1610946464

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported 369 new cases on Monday, including 12 people who arrived from overseas.

Of the returnees, eight are Thai nationals -- one from the United Kingdom, one from Germany, five from Malaysia, and one from Bahrain.

Also testing positive were two American men, a French man and an Omani woman, who flew in from their respective nations.

Of the new cases, 82 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas. Provinces with the highest number of infections were Bangkok with 12 and Samut Sakhon with 51.

Proactive testing led to 275 cases, mostly in Samut Sakhon where 269 foreigners tested positive.

Meanwhile, 191 patients have recovered and been discharged.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand has risen to 12,423 – 10,134 of which were contracted domestically, including 3,982 found via proactive testing and 2,289 returnees. So far, 9,206 have recovered and been discharged, 3,147 patients are still in hospital and the death toll remains at 70.

According to Worldometer, as of midnight on Sunday, the total number of confirmed cases globally had risen to 95.48 million (up by 532,235), 68.17 million have recovered, 25.27 million are active cases (113,185 in severe condition) and 2.04 million have died (up by 9,151).

Thailand ranks 128th on the global list of most cases, while the US tops the list with 24.48 million, followed by India 10.57 million, Brazil 8.49 million, Russia 3.57 million and the United Kingdom 3.4 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401401

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-18

• Sad 1

Maybe a stupid question . I see these numbers come up daily , and theres always a few of returnees/quarantine people found positive . I am not saying , there should be nobody there , that is exactly why quarantine is there . My question is , how many are returning daily/weekly ? How many are in quarantine ? Are Thais travelling like before Covid ? Are some of them tourists , since i saw the post before on how many tourist came and that number was close to 0 ( ok a few 100 per month ) . While i see daily 5-15 cases out of the quarantine ...

Provinces with the highest number of infections were Bangkok with 12 and Samut Sakhon with 51.

Proactive testing led to 275 cases, mostly in Samut Sakhon where 269 foreigners tested positive.

Is it 51 or 275 or 269 (all being foreigners)?

48 minutes ago, mixed said:

Is it 51 or 275 or 269 (all being foreigners)?

51 positive tests in Samut Sakhon are probably for Thai Nationals,   and the 269 will be for Foreigners.

Foreigners, I assume means the Migrant workers that are locked away behind the Razor Wire in the " Quarantine Camp ".

There was always going to be a  large number  of infections in " Quarantine Camp " because all the people are just herded into the place with no segregation at all.

Thats why the testing is so " Proactive ". Its going to be easy to find cases in the Camps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Perhaps the the headline should read "Thailand neglects it's own people by targeting foreign nationals".It's pretty clear that Thailand cares more for foreigners than it's own citizens.

How do you come to that mind shattering conclusion? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

51 positive tests in Samut Sakhon are probably for Thai Nationals,   and the 269 will be for Foreigners.

Foreigners, I assume means the Migrant workers that are locked away behind the Razor Wire in the " Quarantine Camp ".

There was always going to be a  large number  of infections in " Quarantine Camp " because all the people are just herded into the place with no segregation at all.

Thats why the testing is so " Proactive ". Its going to be easy to find cases in the Camps.

Apparently some of the quarantine camps have no water or electricity at times too. Khaosod reporting on the conditions now.

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Perhaps the the headline should read "Thailand neglects it's own people by targeting foreign nationals".It's pretty clear that Thailand cares more for foreigners than it's own citizens.

I guess testing, locating and isolating people in locations suspected of be areas of likely infections is neglecting its own people - - - so are you suggesting that is stopped and only test people /areas that are not showing any signs of infection? 

13 minutes ago, Artisi said:

I guess testing, locating and isolating people in locations suspected of be areas of likely infections is neglecting its own people - - - so are you suggesting that is stopped and only test people /areas that are not showing any signs of infection? 

No I'm not suggesting that it be stopped at all.I think you might be missing my point.If you read my reply you might notice that I'm taking the puss (that's Kiwi for pi$$) out of the headline.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

No I'm not suggesting that it be stopped at all.I think you might be missing my point.If you read my reply you might notice that I'm taking the puss (that's Kiwi for pi$$) out of the headline.

As a close neighbour of the Kiwi's, I understand taking the puss / p iss, but think it's a big stretch from the headline to your comment - hence my little stir ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

As a close neighbour of the Kiwi's, I understand taking the puss / p iss, but think it's a big stretch from the headline to your comment - hence my little stir ????

Sorry I didn't have my stir filter turned on.Nothing like a big stretch to loosen things up a bit and with you being a stirrer I'm surprised you didn't notice that is exactly what I was doing, stirring with a big stretch, perhaps you also forgot to turn your stir filter on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

A snippet of info which I gleaned from a friend who works for the Bangkokpost. On the 14th Jan, 8 workers tested positive at Klong Toey fresh market: A large central market that supplies a large percent of Bangkok's fresh produce, often to smaller traders who ply their wares at multiple smaller fresh markets around the capital. And it doesn't even register a ripple in mainstream media. 

It will register, once the mass spread kicks in.

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

A snippet of info which I gleaned from a friend who works for the Bangkokpost. On the 14th Jan, 8 workers tested positive at Klong Toey fresh market: A large central market that supplies a large percent of Bangkok's fresh produce, often to smaller traders who ply their wares at multiple smaller fresh markets around the capital. And it doesn't even register a ripple in mainstream media. 

It was reported in the Bangkok Post on the 13th that one case was found and the market closed for three days for cleaning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

mostly in Samut Sakhon where 269 foreigners tested positive.

where were this foreigners, the country is no allowed anybody in unless providing test certificate  and all going thru 14 days quarantine, how or where they found them..... that's conflicting/misleading/confusing information

15 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

where were this foreigners, the country is no allowed anybody in unless providing test certificate  and all going thru 14 days quarantine, how or where they found them..... that's conflicting/misleading/confusing information

Illegally trafficked people from neighbouring countries, as far as anyone can tell from the reports. Also, other individuals sneaking back across the border into Thailand and of course none of these go through 14 day quarantine, for obvious reasons.