Bangkok: Illegal shisha party busted in Sukhumvit - 85 arrests including 43 foreigners

webfact

Bangkok: Illegal shisha party busted in Sukhumvit - 85 arrests including 43 foreigners

8pm.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

Thai media reported that immigration police and officers from the Lumpini station raided four story premises in Nana Soi 3 at 1.10 am on Saturday night. 

They were at an after hours party going on at the Taj Cafe Restaurant. They were gathering illegally and smoking shisha contrary to regulations.

In total 85 people were  taken away to Lumpini police station -  42  Thais and 43  foreigners. 

Mandeep Singh, 28, from India, accepted he was the manager. He was charged with illegal working, violating the emergency and governor's decrees and serving shisha. 

8pm1.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

All the Thais were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules. 

21 of the foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules and illegal entry. 

2 foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules and overstaying their visas. 

19 foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules, illegal entry and working without a work permit. 

Source: Thai Rath

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t believe it... If there’s no one pointing in the photo’s, there’s no crime !!! :whistling:

What work would the 19 foreigners be doing at shisha party ?

Preparing and distributing shishas maybe? 

5 minutes ago, shackleton said:

Obviously  the fines being handed out are not severe enough

To deter people gathering at parties and drinking ect

Heavier fines or jail time needed. Set a example to others 

jail time is what they got, can't you read ?!

and if you knew what I think about anyone supporting jail time for this "crime" you would not appreciate...

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Don’t believe it... If there’s no one pointing in the photo’s, there’s no crime !!! :whistling:

What work would the 19 foreigners be doing at shisha party ?

They're moving away from pointing with their hands:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2018/04/01/humiliated-police-to-prohibit-pointing-in-pressers/

21 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Not really Jon. 
They were here illegally, border jumpers. Which caused the recent Chaing Mai covid outbreak.
And they were illegal workers in Bangkok. Which caused the recent Samut Sakon covid outbreak. 

Thanks for the link, Natai Beach.

And I agree with you.

Get rid of them. '

42 Thai id!ots. 

No excuse.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

85 people arrested for breaching covid 19 regulations that is the story here. 

No. No. No.

This is called 'News'.  - If you like it or not.

*   Mandeep Singh, 28, from India, accepted he was the manager. 

*   All the Thais were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules. 

*   21 of the foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules and illegal entry. 

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

Thailand as a tourist dependent economy needs foreigners to come here as so many jobs are dependent on them. Go an look at the thousands of shutter businesses.

If Thailand understands that simple relationship then it must stop with this incessant faux outrage which is fermenting dislike and distrust of foreigners. Which sadly, mainstream Thai media is propagating on a near daily basis with headlines that focus on race, ethnicity and nationality to deflect from the actual meat of the story. 

Enough philistine people here on TV supporting this policy from their blue roofed shack in Isanistan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

And they were breaking an emergency decree, sharing hookers, which is an activity that is likely to spread covid. 

I couldn't agree more. Sharing hookers is always a risky activity although I wasn't aware it was actually banned by emergency decree. I thought that was only hookahs ... 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wprime said:

In lieu of pointing, red circles around subjects will become mandatory in all photos published by the media.

So THAT's why someone here was trying to get Mysteron rings!

4 hours ago, shackleton said:

Obviously  the fines being handed out are not severe enough

To deter people gathering at parties and drinking ect

Heavier fines or jail time needed. Set a example to others 

Increase fines and like magic no more shisha  or drink parties? I don't think so 

16 hours ago, connda said:

Smoking tobacco using a hookah is illegal.   Amazing.

Sometime that sheer amount of frivolous laws created to throw otherwise good citizens into jail simply boggles the mind.  If there is rebirth I hope I don't end up on another totally insane world like this. 

Well if I was a cynic then I would think that Shisha is banned as the government doesn't get any kickbacks from it...unlike tobacco.

That's if I was a cynic... ????

18 hours ago, webfact said:
21 of the foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules and illegal entry. 

2 foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules and overstaying their visas. 

19 foreigners were charged with breaking the emergency decree rules, illegal entry and working without a work permit.

Hope they enjoyed their last puff in Thailand.

11 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Not really Jon. 
They were here illegally, border jumpers. Which caused the recent Chaing Mai covid outbreak.
And they were illegal workers in Bangkok. Which caused the recent Samut Sakon covid outbreak. 

In the link it says the men were from Pakistan and India, both being countries with a large covid problem, and they most likely came through Myanmar where most of the recent covid cases have come from. 

And they were breaking an emergency decree, sharing hookers, which is an activity that is likely to spread covid. 
The 42 Thais were all females. 

The 42 Thais were fined 5,000 baht for breaking the decree. The Indians and Pakistanis were fined 10,000 for breaking the decree and will have to pay more for the other charges before being deported.

Get rid of them. 

https://www.thairath.co.th/news/local/bangkok/2014020?cx_testId=7&cx_testVariant=cx_1&cx_artPos=2&cx_rec_section=news&cx_rec_topic=crime#cxrecs_s

As I said 85 people were detained for breaking the emergecy decree that is the simple story here.

Anything else is just deflectionist hyperbole to spread fear, distrust and suspicion that all of Thailands woes are not of Thailands making and that the finger of blame should be pointed elsewhere. Thank you for reinforcing my point with a brilliantly crafted response. 

On 1/18/2021 at 5:57 PM, jonclark said:

Thailand as a tourist dependent economy needs foreigners to come here as so many jobs are dependent on them. Go an look at the thousands of shutter businesses.

If Thailand understands that simple relationship then it must stop with this incessant faux outrage which is fermenting dislike and distrust of foreigners. Which sadly, mainstream Thai media is propagating on a near daily basis with headlines that focus on race, ethnicity and nationality to deflect from the actual meat of the story. 

Thailand isn’t a “tourist dependent economy”

what a pig ignorant thing to say. 

you every thought to use google?