visa extension anxiety

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, sadeghsep said:

hi 

I'm not sure it's me or anyone else feel the same , there is an anxiety it appears 3 months before my extension and it's getting worse day by day till i get my extension even though i got my extensions for past 8 years without any problem, it started after my kid born , feeling like if i force to sperated from my family even for a week or they change some law , new documents which they never inform us (everyone surprised by new requirement everytime by the time doing the extension)or even something happens that i can't put the money in bank in time or a lot of other reason , my wife has same anxiety also but like a month before my extension , thinking about every year we have to have this situation even makes that anxiety worse, many times i tried to convince my wife to move to other countries but she seems not happy with the idea 

this year i read about foreigners maybe has to get the covid test for extension which makes me really sad , i don't want to go to clinic to get any test and catch the covid there , if the results comes positive so what's happening to the extension probably most people catch the virus in hospital or clinic area which i really not willing to go

anyway my visa extension time is about 70 days from now please if they approved covid test for extension to be a law let me know or if there is any changes

thanks

I am not sure I have more than a passing concern about future extensions but if I had anxiety on this matter, I would visit the Immigration Office say, 6 weeks in advance,  and ask if there are any new requirements additional to my previous applications.

1 hour ago, heretostay said:

Hi sadeghsep,

Most of us suffer from "extension anxiety" to some extent (sic) or another, including me.  After many, many rounds of that stress, here's my personal solution:

1. positive attitude:  Prepare as best as I can, go many days early, plan to spend the whole day at Immigration, expect to run to the photocopy machine once or twice, and even plan to come back another day with whatever else they've decided to require

2. smile and shut up:  Every time they ask me for another photocopy or money or whatever, I smile sweetly, bow my head a tad, and carry out the request/order without any sign of emotion  (On some occassions, I do ask a question or two, to get a better explanation of what they are asking for.  Polite, short, emotionless questions.  No pout.  No anger.  No disappointment.  This is a business transaction, nothing more.)

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about this situation, anyway, so it's best to go with the right attitude, a positive one.

Absolutely right, stay in control - of yourself!

This is the 2nd-3rd thread recently where people are scared stiff of not meeting the requirements, expecting to have problems, visions of being marched off the the detention centre and put on the next plane home

It all needs to be put into perspective, literally 1,000s of us do our extensions every single day, with no problems. A few horror stories may end up on Thaivisa, but even those get resolved after some explanation or advice.

Yes, this is the forum where people post their questions or problems, 100% of the time the issues get sorted out. 

Unfortunately, a few things dont help with the general anxiety levels.

Clickbait, "EXTENSION DENIED" YouTube videos, were the reality is they had to come back after lunch with another photocopy.

The "THEY DONT WANT US HERE" rhetoric, people actually start to believe it. If they didnt want us here they have the power to shut down any/all extensions tomorrow morning. A few rule changes and enforcement of those rules does not mean "they dont want us here".

Getting to Thailand during covid is a separate issue to an ongoing extensions of stay, but appears to have been mixed up with some imaginary problems to do with extensions.

People need to step back and relax, there is no reason to presume you are set to fail with a visa/extension. There is no concerted effort to refuse extensions

Maybe some people need to look at using an agent, (to meet the system not beat the system) for their legal extensions, 

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am not sure I have more than a passing concern about future extensions but if I had anxiety on this matter, I would visit the Immigration Office say, 6 weeks in advance,  and ask if there are any new requirements additional to my previous applications.

The frustration with Immigration is that when introducing a change, they tend to publish a new order on or after the day it actually takes effect and only then is it made public knowledge.

In my personal experience they are not a well trained, organised outfit.

I can even be aware of changes before my local IO's are aware.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The frustration with Immigration is that when introducing a change, they tend to publish a new order on or after the day it actually takes effect and only then is it made public knowledge.

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That is true, but my suggestion to the OP is that if he is worrying three months before, six weeks is better than waiting until the day, accepting what you say is possible.

In my experience, it isn't overall Immigration policy changes that affects too many people on the day, but their own local Office.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Completely unfounded.

is that the definition of anxiety? 

I don't drink, so I am rarely in a mode of being in a situation where my judgment might be faulty to the extent of impacting my existence here... 

however, as we age, what liabilities do we face? dementia is a slow and gradual process that can include crankiness to the extent you are talking about... 

but, maybe to a lesser extent, could you be on the edge of trouble in your home country too through a temporary loss of judgment? 

if one of your pub-mates gets drunk and insults your nose, and you get upset enough to cut off his nose and chop it into little pieces before feeding it to the local dogs... you might have to pay - right?

somehow just the awareness you have will likely protect you from doing something wrong... 

1 hour ago, heretostay said:

Hi sadeghsep,

Most of us suffer from "extension anxiety" to some extent (sic) or another, including me.  After many, many rounds of that stress, here's my personal solution:

1. positive attitude:  Prepare as best as I can, go many days early, plan to spend the whole day at Immigration, expect to run to the photocopy machine once or twice, and even plan to come back another day with whatever else they've decided to require

2. smile and shut up:  Every time they ask me for another photocopy or money or whatever, I smile sweetly, bow my head a tad, and carry out the request/order without any sign of emotion  (On some occassions, I do ask a question or two, to get a better explanation of what they are asking for.  Polite, short, emotionless questions.  No pout.  No anger.  No disappointment.  This is a business transaction, nothing more.)

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about this situation, anyway, so it's best to go with the right attitude, a positive one.

Terrific advice... I have always found the officers to be helpful.. polite gets polite.. 

No, you're not the only one. I hate "that time of the year" with passion and I keep badgering the wife and kids to move but they like it here, so what can I do?

Oh well, I guess once the kids are old enough to take care of themselves I'd probably start spending less time here. 

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Unfortunately, a few things dont help with the general anxiety levels.

Clickbait, "EXTENSION DENIED" YouTube videos, were the reality is they had to come back after lunch with another photocopy.

Lets be totally honest and frank here Peter.

There are probably less than 5% of foreigners who realise they are are in a different Country  than their own, under Immigration control. That 5% take time out to keep up with current affairs and changes and are usually well informed, well organised and have no issues when extending at Immigration.

Take TVF membership as an example compared to the total number of foreigners in Thailand.

The other 95% bury their head in the sand and their knowledge comes from bar stool conversation, which is often exaggerated or completely wrong based on 'rumours', with little facts.

My IO is very open, 2 desks doing everything for everyone.

I'm amazed at especially the married group, whom I sit behind whilst waiting my turn, with the wife sat up front at the desk, whilst the husband sits 3 rows behind.

Problem - need photo's outside the house, need to update bank book and of they go on the merry go round.

Why they consider the wife should know the procedure and what documents are required, I don't know, but they're never going to learn anything sitting 3 rows behind.

These same foreigners can then be heard at the local bars, complaining how they were given the run around, jumping through hoops and Immigration are a pile of 'tossers' who changed the rules and don't know what there doing. Really!

And yes we get them on TVF, complaining because they have to make a few photocopies and visit the bank, describing it as 'jumping through hoops', as if it's the end of life, for a 1 day a year effort.

You most definitely are not alone in your feelings.

Many have given good advice above. The main issue for many is that the local office and even down to the officer is rarely consistent and can often apply their own little changes etc.

That said there is no guarantee it will be any different or better anywhere else either.

It is a stressful time if you allow it to be. Its an attitude of mind. Get your papers together as best you can, get all the ducks in a row and just roll with the punches. You have done it many times before.There are rarely serious issues and usually just another piece of paper is needed somewhere.

The only way to eleviate it, is use an agent and remove yourself from the equation, or just smile and get on with it as you have before, its unlikely to change anytime soon.

21 hours ago, sadeghsep said:

i think i didn't ask for any advice to fix my anxiety , i just shared to see anyone else has the same feeling ,

what i asked was is there any new requirement 

You are absolutely correct in asking.  I was told the same thing that a covid certificate is required for visa renewals and retirement extensions. A straightforward question. No need for unhelpful answers.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is only one immigration law and that is the Immigration Act issued in 1979 and it has never been amended.

Everything is done as regulations, orders and requirements for a extensions of stay. And then there are local requirements at some immigration offices.

There it is!!!  '' local requirements at some immigration offices." which means not done as "orders and requirements for a extensions of stay."

hi 

I'm not sure it's me or anyone else feel the same , there is an anxiety it appears 3 months before my extension and it's getting worse day by day till i get my extension even though i got my extensions for past 8 years without any problem,

Imagine the trepidation I feel about getting my first 12 month extension !  Although on my initial visit to do the TM30, the staff seemed very helpful so that was encouraging.

hi 

I'm not sure it's me or anyone else feel the same , there is an anxiety it appears 3 months before my extension and it's getting worse day by day till i get my extension even though i got my extensions for past 8 years without any problem, it started after my kid born , feeling like if i force to sperated from my family even for a week or they change some law , new documents which they never inform us (everyone surprised by new requirement everytime by the time doing the extension)or even something happens that i can't put the money in bank in time or a lot of other reason , my wife has same anxiety also but like a month before my extension , thinking about every year we have to have this situation even makes that anxiety worse, many times i tried to convince my wife to move to other countries but she seems not happy with the idea 

this year i read about foreigners maybe has to get the covid test for extension which makes me really sad , i don't want to go to clinic to get any test and catch the covid there , if the results comes positive so what's happening to the extension probably most people catch the virus in hospital or clinic area which i really not willing to go

anyway my visa extension time is about 70 days from now please if they approved covid test for extension to be a law let me know or if there is any changes

thanks

I think we all have some anxiety, however, we are all different and in differet situations.  Like Some want to leave and cant care either way, living out of a suitcase  etc .... whist others have everything here and yes, imaging haveing to leave everything and cant return, stress, travel, expence, anxiety (love that word and "metalhealth") Suggest you check everything more than once best you can, then breeeeeeath as you cant do no more..

and put it out of youy mind, do the deed as soon as you can... good luck

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Imagine the trepidation I feel about getting my first 12 month extension !  Although on my initial visit to do the TM30, the staff seemed very helpful so that was encouraging.

In most cases the first one is not so full on, imagine lets say after 20 years and you have family and all yours here.. much more pressure..

A helpfull TM30  very nice...  did you buy donunts? (somtam over here..)

5 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

As long as you've done your research, prepare your documents and copies, supply the required evidence to meet the financial requirements, there is nothing to worry about.

It's a procedure just like any other.

1 minute ago, Seeall said:

In most cases the first one is not so full on, imagine lets say after 20 years and you have family and all yours here.. much more pressure..

A helpfull TM30  very nice...  did you buy donunts? (somtam over here..)

No donuts !  We just went in with a blank TM 30 form and they did everything. Nice. At the same time they gave my wife all of the forms for the 12 month extension and explained the process to her.

2 minutes ago, Seeall said:

Why?

Nothings changed with regards to marriage/Thai family extensions.

I've supplied the same documents for marriage extensions for the last 5 years, even the same photo's.

Did my 7th extension about a week ago.  I have never had a problem.  This year there were mostly new people in the office.  They were very friendly.  This year they did add one more thing.  Asked me when my next 90 days was(it's in February) and to bring another bank statement then.  So it's not the 3 months required but that must be good enough for them.

4 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

No donuts !  We just went in with a blank TM 30 form and they did everything. Nice. At the same time they gave my wife all of the forms for the 12 month extension and explained the process to her.

A prime example of my previous post.

Why didn't you have Immigration explain the procedure and requirements to you.

Your the applicant, not the wife.

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Why?

Nothings changed with regards to marriage/Thai family extensions.

I've supplied the same documents for marriage extensions for the last 5 years, even the same photo's.

My point was most accumilate "stuff" over time and thus its less of a concern doing our first one, which was the 1 st timers topic ....

recall your first time, probably didnt really matter if you fgot it or not.. no, 15 years later nothing changed?  found a partner perhaps?

22 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

You certainly aren't alone.

What gets me is how easily they can amend immigration laws to include things like covid tests, bedroom pictures etc but they can't add a law that would permit all those with families, regardless of whether or not they work here to remain here permanently.

Not whilst divorce is so easy and kids can be readily passed around the family like some bizarre 'pass the parcel' game.

“If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it's not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever" - Dalai Lama.

22 hours ago, Airalee said:

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened.”

-Mark Twain

The easiest words of advice ever (given to someone else) ........... are :   "Relax, don't worry"

Rumak  

21 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Maybe you can inform me of something, Joe.

The immigration act of 1979 as I read it stipulates that PR and/or citizenship can be obtained without having to have the 3 years tax returns under 'humanitarian reasons.'

Why, if this is the actual law, has the government stopped issuing these types of residency? 

Isn't it the same as with Anything at Immigration ?

It's All up to the Local Imm Officer What goes or Not.????

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Not whilst divorce is so easy and kids can be readily passed around the family like some bizarre 'pass the parcel' game.

What do you expect them to do. Most absent Fathers take no moral or financial responsibility for their ex family.

The woman has to work to provide for the kids.

No CSA in Thailand to force the absent Fathers paying maintenance.

You are scared to go to hospital because your scared to get covid ?? So i geuss you are locked in your house for the past 11 months without leaving it , no shopping, no going out for whatever  ?? You think you can only catch it in the hospital . C'mon and you are pulling your wife in your missery . Before she started to worry 1 month before extension but now already 70 days prior . 

51 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Told by who?

Ol' Dickie-Boy Barrow was clearly the original source here, even if it was not he who actually told @Bryacar in person. His irresponsible and hysterical scaremongering has certainly got quite a few pairs of knickers in a twist on here! IMHO ubonjoe has comprehensively dispelled Ol' Dickie-Boy's BS nonsense in this thread:-

Archived