CoE from a Thai Embassy in a third country

I am interested to hear from anyone who has secured a Covid-19 Certificate of Entry for Thailand from a country other than their home country. In particular, I am interested to hear from anyone who may have managed to obtain this from Thai Embassies in Japan, Korea, China, Malaysia, Singapore or other southeast Asian countries and manged to re-enter and do their ASQ.

Thanks!

NL

A COE has to be applied for at a embassy or official consulate for the country where you are located at (country of origin).

It can be applied for a at the one of the countries you mentioned if you do not need a visa at many of them. Many embassies and official consulates will only issue visas to those that are not citizens or legal residents of the country where they are located.

A person from the US recently got one for a visa exempt entry from the embassy in Lima Peru and was in Ecuador (no embassy there). He wanted a tourist visa but they would not issue one.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A COE has to be applied for at a embassy or official consulate for the country where you are located at (country of origin).

It can be applied for a at the one of the countries you mentioned if you do not need a visa at many of them. Many embassies and official consulates will only issue visas to those that are not citizens or legal residents of the country where they are located.

A person from the US recently got one for a visa exempt entry from the embassy in Lima Peru and was in Ecuador (no embassy there). He wanted a tourist visa but they would not issue one.

If a person already has a valid one-year extension and a re-entry permit, they won't need a visa.

AFAIK, the online application is direct with the MFA in Bangkok so if the person already has a valid visa/extension, am I correct in saying they do not have to involve the local Thai Embassy's consular section but just follow their published guidelines?

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, the online application is direct with the MFA in Bangkok so if the person already has a valid visa/extension, am I correct in saying they do not have to involve the local Thai Embassy's consular section but just follow their published guidelines?

Actually it's via the Embassy/Consulate in the country you are departing from.

37 minutes ago, Salerno said:
48 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Actually it's via the Embassy/Consulate in the country you are departing from.

OK, thanks for that clarification. I just fired up the CoE website for the first time and although it is a Thai url, the liaison is via the local Thai Embassy consular section. The website says that can be a 3-day approval process.

The insurance, ASQ and flight booking seems to be all DIY these days.

In some threads posted by either those who are trying or have managed to return, the biggest challenge hasn't been so much getting the Covid-19 test and certificate but obtaining the separate Fit-to-Fly certificate.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

In some threads posted by either those who are trying or have managed to return, the biggest challenge hasn't been so much getting the Covid-19 test and certificate but obtaining the separate Fit-to-Fly certificate.

Dr Donna is your friend for that. Get it in around half an hour, online (Bangkok based), 400 Bht. Numerous people from around the world have used her clinic with no issues.

1653336302_131389520_10158233923989608_5559427257914872371_o-jpg-10801329-.png.51fd51d8e286a86fe5e62e3dfbd79e30.png

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The MFA has nothing to do with COE application other than hosting the website.

When you do the application it is sent to the embassy or official consulate for processing and approval that you selected.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am interested to hear from anyone who has secured a Covid-19 Certificate of Entry for Thailand from a country other than their home country. In particular, I am interested to hear from anyone who may have managed to obtain this from Thai Embassies in Japan, Korea, China, Malaysia, Singapore or other southeast Asian countries and manged to re-enter and do their ASQ.

Thanks!

NL

From my experience,  all the answers you got already are correct. 

One caveat: every consulate or embassy may work a little bit different and make up their own rules. E.g. they may require a 40/400 health insurance or a round trip ticket,  both in contradiction to the rules. 

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The MFA has nothing to do with COE application other than hosting the website.

When you do the application it is sent to the embassy or official consulate for processing and approval that you selected.

Semantics but since Thai embassies and consulates come under the MFA's governance, they are still running the show. In the early days, I recall a few returnees being told by their local Thai embassy that they were waiting for the nod from Bangkok and others that could do nothing because their local embassy wasn't answering the phone or emails. Maybe it has been streamlined and each embassy or consulate has more autonomy these days but they are still the MFA's front shop overseas.

20 hours ago, Salerno said:

Dr Donna is your friend for that. Get it in around half an hour, online (Bangkok based), 400 Bht. Numerous people from around the world have used her clinic with no issues.

1653336302_131389520_10158233923989608_5559427257914872371_o-jpg-10801329-.png.51fd51d8e286a86fe5e62e3dfbd79e30.png

Good find, thanks. That's handy if I go back to the UK as well.

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

That's handy if I go back to the UK, thanks.

My point was difficulties finding such a doctor in Seoul, Tokyo or Singapore.

Ignore the UK on the pic, she does it worldwide and has been used by people worldwide hence recommending her.

6 hours ago, Kiujunn said:

From my experience,  all the answers you got already are correct. 

One caveat: every consulate or embassy may work a little bit different and make up their own rules. E.g. they may require a 40/400 health insurance or a round trip ticket,  both in contradiction to the rules. 

Good reminder. Once the final destination is confirmed, I can get the contractor's agents to chase this down. They may be importing up to 50 foreign workers at one time so hopefully they will have the procedures worked out.

I am currently at my ASQ hotel.  I am American but was staying in Turkey and applied for my COE from Turkey.  I also went for the Visa exempt entry as it looked difficult if not impossible to be able to get a VISA while living in Turkey.  And yes, the Fit to Fly certificate was one of the problems that gave me fits.  I wish I had known about Dr Donna!

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Good reminder. Once the final destination is confirmed, I can get the contractor's agents to chase this down. They may be importing up to 50 foreign workers at one time so hopefully they will have the procedures worked out.

I'm a bit lost with this.

Imagine that I fly from Sydney to Bangkok (with COE) and on arrival the immigration folks see that my Fit To Fly was issued in the UK (or in Bkk) and they ask 'how is this possible, the doctors office is not in Sydney so how can the doctor conduct a consultation with you?

Perhaps I'm missing something? 

14 minutes ago, scorecard said:

... so how can the doctor conduct a consultation with you?

The same way multinationals hold meetings with offices around the world (even before covid kicked in) and the same way if you feel a bit under the weather in Sydney today, you can do an online consultation with a doctor. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I'm a bit lost with this.

Imagine that I fly from Sydney to Bangkok (with COE) and on arrival the immigration folks see that my Fit To Fly was issued in the UK (or in Bkk) and they ask 'how is this possible, the doctors office is not in Sydney so how can the doctor conduct a consultation with you?

Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Some people need to get a "health certificate" from a Thai doctor to apply for or renew their Thai driving license. If you think about the fit-to-fly certificate in this context, it's a lot easier.

Archived