Opening Bank Account

pantsonfire

I keep reading this claim that "a lot of banks don't want to open new accounts for Americans" on Thaivisa, yet I've opened three different bank accounts (Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, Krungsri) in the last couple of years and haven't encountered the slightest hint of reluctance or resistance. This does not actually seem to be a thing in Thailand.

1 minute ago, pantsonfire said:

which branch and how long ago? 

What was required

The first time was in Bangkok, circa 2004. The branch was located on Sukhumvit Road, past Soi 4, and if I recall, before Soi 6. The bank put me through the hassle of having my passport certified by the US Embassy. Other than that, not so difficult.

Later, in 2013 (maybe 2015?), I transferred my account (got a new account number) to Bangkok Bank in Korat. Quite simple to do; no need to go to the embassy. Yes, I had to complete the US government paperwork (I'm a US citizen); still no big deal.

• Confused 1

When I tried to open an account at BK Bank in the emporium the staff said that I needed either a work permit or a letter from the US embassy (which is just an affidavit where you state where you live, etc).  I had neither but had my wife with me who has her own BK bank account.  BK Bank's web page states that a statement vouching for an applicant by an account holder can substitute for the WP or embassy letter. After a lot of discussion with the bank manager they graciously let me open an account.

13 hours ago, tyler28 said:

I keep reading this claim that "a lot of banks don't want to open new accounts for Americans" on Thaivisa, yet I've opened three different bank accounts (Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, Krungsri) in the last couple of years and haven't encountered the slightest hint of reluctance or resistance. This does not actually seem to be a thing in Thailand.

Indeed, I should have qualified that statement with "reportedly".

On 1/18/2021 at 10:55 PM, pantsonfire said:

i heard agents can help out on this?

Siam Legal advertise that they are able to help with this. I've bookmarked their page at some point, but haven't used their services myself, so please take this as a pointer, not as endorsement.

https://www.siam-legal.com/other-services/opening-a-bank-account-in-thailand.php

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 4:11 PM, Gumballl said:

The first time was in Bangkok, circa 2004.

By that time a passport and a smile would open an account for a foreigner in most Thai banks. Today it's difficult when you don't have a permanent Thai-address and permission to stay, but some banks might still open an account. OP should shop around.

They’ve now additional requirements for US Citizens to fill out. 

I’ve had a BKB joint account with quasi (village marriage) wife. 

Opened new account with only me on account.. easy but because 

having a joint account also..

Before opening the account at BKN went to another bank that I thought was easier if you had to go in for any business and not 

a long queue  and opened an account only my name. Took 2 trips

in 2 days and lastly 3 people came to my house 25 km away to hav me fill out the recently new required US paperwork. I ended with

an account but never used. That was June last my extension renewal is in July. 

Then wofe said why why didn’t you just open another at BKB which

is the story above... I’m on a retirement visa.... 

Note the joint originally opened with Retirement visa took about an hour and some why not? and some more why not.. Wife was with me.. I think they got tired of why not and figured I was leaving until 

I opened an account... Before they agreed ... 

all good most I do online .., transfer from US bank .. check balances

no problems and good service at the small branch same location as supermarket... 

On 1/18/2021 at 4:18 PM, tyler28 said:

Thats not really useful information unless you tell the Op what visa you are on. 

IF you had no issues as an American citizen on a Tourist Visa without a fixed residence, perhaps you’d be good enough to let the Op know with which Bank and which branch. 

Alternatively, If you have a Thai Work Permit it’s well known that you can walk into any Bank and open an account with ease. 

-----

I (British) was able to open a Bangkok Bank account (in Nov 2020) with a Non-Imm O Visa (based on Marriage) and yellow House book as Proof of residence. Oddly enough I needed to show a Marriage Certificate !! (never heard of that requirement before) - of course, none of this helps the Op, but it highlights that the branch was quite specific about their requirements. 

Recommendation for the Op: 

You’ll need to get some sort of Proof of Address (rental agreement etc) then obtain an Affirmation of Residence from your embassy.

......And just go from Bangk to Bank until you find one who will assist you. 

It has been reported many times that Bangkok Bank seems to be the easiest for foreigners - but this seems to depend solely on the branch and staff member at the time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

You can take every bank you like, I recommend SCB, also with internet banking, but never take Krungsri, I had very very, bad experience with them, yes you will get a smile but also a middle finger.

I think most people have had some bad experience with a bank in Thailand.

Me? I would not touch SCB with a bargepole, they messed me about, and I had a work permit at the time.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

You can take every bank you like, I recommend SCB, also with internet banking, but never take Krungsri, I had very very, bad experience with them, yes you will get a smile but also a middle finger.

And I have several accounts with Krungsri and they've always been great to me. 

Can you explain what the bad experience you had was? 

• Like 1

It's difficult to open a bank account in Thailand based on tourist visa nowadays unlike more than 5 years ago where the number of foreigners were low.

It's easier if you can get work permit, retirement, marriage or longer visas.

21 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

I had bad experience with SCB in one branch but not every branch.

Just because you have bad experience with Krungsri doesn't mean all branches are like that. I only had good experience with Krungsri.

How do you know they gave you the middle finger?

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

I had bad experience with SCB in one branch but not every branch.

Just because you have bad experience with Krungsri doesn't mean all branches are like that. I only had good experience with Krungsri.

How do you know they gave you the middle finger?

Let me tell you a short story, what is not finish yet and during already 2 weeks.

Somebody like to buy my car and need a financing for this.

Unfortunately he make choice for this bank...long story short, it looks like I need to finance the car, they agreed to give him the money, but after 2 weeks I still don't have the money, and they (this bank) try to do everything to don't give my money, the y let me come now 4 times, every time they change the rules, then I need an account at this bank, now the account is not good, etc., etc., believe me it is a big <deleted> at that bank.

And Monday the game start again, the buyer still don't have his car, and I still don't have my money.

Oh yes, l.b.n.l., is was including insurance for more than 4 months....NO says the bank, you'll have to buy the insurance at our bank.

I can't tell you more about this story, but maybe you understand when I talking they give the middle finger.....

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

It's difficult to open a bank account in Thailand based on tourist visa nowadays unlike more than 5 years ago where the number of foreigners were low.

It's easier if you can get work permit, retirement, marriage or longer visas.

see my last quote  to EricTH

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats not really useful information unless you tell the Op what visa you are on. 

IF you had no issues as an American citizen on a Tourist Visa without a fixed residence, perhaps you’d be good enough to let the Op know with which Bank and which branch. 

Alternatively, If you have a Thai Work Permit it’s well known that you can walk into any Bank and open an account with ease. 

-----

I (British) was able to open a Bangkok Bank account (in Nov 2020) with a Non-Imm O Visa (based on Marriage) and yellow House book as Proof of residence. Oddly enough I needed to show a Marriage Certificate !! (never heard of that requirement before) - of course, none of this helps the Op, but it highlights that the branch was quite specific about their requirements. 

Recommendation for the Op: 

You’ll need to get some sort of Proof of Address (rental agreement etc) then obtain an Affirmation of Residence from your embassy.

......And just go from Bangk to Bank until you find one who will assist you. 

It has been reported many times that Bangkok Bank seems to be the easiest for foreigners - but this seems to depend solely on the branch and staff member at the time. 

I was responding to the post that I quoted, not to the OP. It simply isn't true that banks in Thailand resist opening bank accounts for Americans. It may be true in other countries, but it isn't true here.

3 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

Let me tell you a short story, what is not finish yet and during already 2 weeks.

Somebody like to buy my car and need a financing for this.

Unfortunately he make choice for this bank...long story short, it looks like I need to finance the car, they agreed to give him the money, but after 2 weeks I still don't have the money, and they (this bank) try to do everything to don't give my money, the y let me come now 4 times, every time they change the rules, then I need an account at this bank, now the account is not good, etc., etc., believe me it is a big <deleted> at that bank.

And Monday the game start again, the buyer still don't have his car, and I still don't have my money.

Oh yes, l.b.n.l., is was including insurance for more than 4 months....NO says the bank, you'll have to buy the insurance at our bank.

I can't tell you more about this story, but maybe you understand when I talking they give the middle finger.....

So the bank refusing someone else's loan is the equivalent of giving you the finger....