Opening Bank Account

Anyone have agents or recommendations where i can open a bank account in bangkok?

However, two things

1.  Iam on TR visa

2. Renting an AirBnB for 3 months and planning to extend if possible

Paying fees is going to kill me 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You go into a bank and say "I'd like to open an account" They will then give you the needs to open one

It really is a branch by branch thing.  Some banks: Tanachart, Bank Ayudha, TMB and several others are consistently a "No" without a work permit. Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn, Siam Commercial are incon

A lot has changed since those days. It has gotten far more difficult; not impossible but difficult.

Posted Images

I keep reading this claim that "a lot of banks don't want to open new accounts for Americans" on Thaivisa, yet I've opened three different bank accounts (Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, Krungsri) in the last couple of years and haven't encountered the slightest hint of reluctance or resistance. This does not actually seem to be a thing in Thailand.

1 hour ago, pantsonfire said:

The issue is iam on TR, so iam not sure the ease of this,

TR? Tourist Visa? If that's the case, then this is not a problem... well, at least not for me. I opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank.

3 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

TR? Tourist Visa? If that's the case, then this is not a problem... well, at least not for me. I opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank.

which branch and how long ago? 

What was required

• Like 1
1 minute ago, pantsonfire said:

which branch and how long ago? 

What was required

The first time was in Bangkok, circa 2004. The branch was located on Sukhumvit Road, past Soi 4, and if I recall, before Soi 6. The bank put me through the hassle of having my passport certified by the US Embassy. Other than that, not so difficult.

Later, in 2013 (maybe 2015?), I transferred my account (got a new account number) to Bangkok Bank in Korat. Quite simple to do; no need to go to the embassy. Yes, I had to complete the US government paperwork (I'm a US citizen); still no big deal.

• Confused 1
9 minutes ago, YT3k72Em said:

People on here seem to state that Bangkok Bank main branch in Silom has worked when others said no.

Yes but it is 2021 now and not 2004...

• Like 1

When I tried to open an account at BK Bank in the emporium the staff said that I needed either a work permit or a letter from the US embassy (which is just an affidavit where you state where you live, etc).  I had neither but had my wife with me who has her own BK bank account.  BK Bank's web page states that a statement vouching for an applicant by an account holder can substitute for the WP or embassy letter. After a lot of discussion with the bank manager they graciously let me open an account.

13 hours ago, tyler28 said:

I keep reading this claim that "a lot of banks don't want to open new accounts for Americans" on Thaivisa, yet I've opened three different bank accounts (Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, Krungsri) in the last couple of years and haven't encountered the slightest hint of reluctance or resistance. This does not actually seem to be a thing in Thailand.

Indeed, I should have qualified that statement with "reportedly".