Opening Bank Account

pantsonfire

Opening an account in Thailand is a bit like doing the lottery. Back in 2009 i was able to do it easy, on visa exemption, just an issue of the address (used girlfriend). In 2016, wanted a new account and it took 3 attempts to do it, even though i was married with a marriage visa extension - they wanted work permit or yellow book (neither of which i had). Finally sweet talked a bank clerk into doing it.

When i went back to same bank in 2019 to open a time deposit, they refused, even though i had a savings account with them! Eventually they relented but only if i could provide a Thai guarantor who had a blue book in their name. The process took over an hour - stupid amount of forms and bureaucracy (and not a yank).

Likewise with bank services. Cheapest way for me to get money from home country is to do counter withdrawal using my credit card. At central plaza, 3 banks would not do it, and the fourth did but charged a substantial fee. I have since found a couple of branches that will do it and no fee. There is just no consistency.