What's your favorite Thai food?

WineOh

Ka pow moo grob, wife’s yellow pork curry that has only a little sauce in it , her Thai version of pork spaghetti bolognaise with chilli and her version of sweet and sour pork/ chicken. Infact after being in the uk for the last 6 months I realise I missed Thai food a lot for the flavours etc . Had Chinese here twice which I thought I missed and after eating it the second time I decided it’s not good and won’t be eating it again apart from hot and sour soup . 3 weeks and counting and back to spicy food , sun and the bum gun ! 

7 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

It was a real sight when they laid it out on the table mate ???? 

One of my mates used to always say to the waiter when asked how he would like his steak, 'Just take it's horns off and wipe it's ar#e'

????????

Edited by roo860
  • Haha 1

A huge topic.... indeed.. as I travel out of Phuket I find the average good food better.... higher quality of good thai food is hard to find...  I can imagine some of the expats here like myself have had rare gems...  tired of hearing about short timers saying pad thai is exellent down soi yummy... no idea...

Also how people come here and only want food they can relate to.... are they really scared to try a dish that cost less than US 3 $?   each to thair own...  A rissian guest when askes picked the most boring item on the menu then talked for 5 min about the adjustments and extras.. which of cours the minmar girl had no idea what she was talking about, would have been a <deleted> eat anyways..  I said "just pick a number"

yeah thai good food is out of this world.... Myself it took me hmm 6 years before starting to find the really good stuff, and yeah its always comparitive right.... enjoying the journey and still dicovering delights after a decade.....

ENJOY

Edited by Seeall

On 1/18/2021 at 10:19 AM, DaLa said:

Anything, rice, massaman, green curry, tom yum, som tum...as long as I have a side order of chips, mash, baked, boiled and jacket potatoes.

Wot....no bread and butter? ????

• Haha 1

Oh so many. Pad Krapao still being one of my favorite that I could eat everyday.

Followed by Massaman beef curry, Biryani rice, Crispy pork belly, Pork leg German style, Boat noodle, grilled Satay skewers, Yum Gai zaab and so on....

There are only a few things here that I don't eat. Crab for example (except crab meat ready to eat), homemade Pla ra (I am scared of food poisoning and parasites), southern Yellow curry is way too spicy and burns my stomach every time.

On 1/18/2021 at 5:46 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

that dead fish stuff, bra ra or however you say it is the worst.

yeah, I don't get that either... you start w/rotted fish and then cover it w/salt and bury it  - - who could have ever thought of that? 

hey, I have a great idea.. lets take this rotted fish and..

otherwise, I like the Penang curry and tom kha... when in the mood for rich and creamy... but the everyday stuff is good too... 

• Like 1

To the OP's question, none of it really. Its usually low quality, fairly tasteless, and often too spicy.  Even Mrs P is not that keen, unless its unmentionable fish, chicken feet or small  frogs, which rather proves my point that it's basically peasant food.  She does produce one 'Thai' dish that I like using chicken, eggs and various spices, but I suspect that its a Mrs P creation, as I have seen it nowhere else and it doesn't appear to have a name. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

The spelling will be wrong but it sounds like phik ong, pork mince with a tomato base eaten with fresh uncooked vegetables and lettuce. Reckon it would make a great meat pie too.

As far as I know, closer spelling would be Nam Phrik Ong. I think that it is a Northern Thai dish as I have not seen it anywhere else. It is wonderful and I haven't had it for ages. Don't see it in Khon Kaen.
Have you ever tried it as a dip for toast , crackers or what we British call crisps. A great snack.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 5:08 PM, Liverpoolfan said:

one thing I do love about this country is the food..

It's truly great.

Right now for me my favorite thai meal would be deep fried Larb Moo for starter & chicken masaman curry for the main.

Washed down with an ice cold glass of beer and a glass of house red wine ???? 

Possibly some 'Nam Tok' for desert with my beer...

What is your favorite Thai food? 

larbmootod.jpg

Massaman-Curry-SQUARE.jpg

beb355.jpg

What sort of Nam Tok can you eat as a dessert?

52 minutes ago, loong said:

As far as I know, closer spelling would be Nam Phrik Ong. I think that it is a Northern Thai dish as I have not seen it anywhere else. It is wonderful and I haven't had it for ages. Don't see it in Khon Kaen.
Have you ever tried it as a dip for toast , crackers or what we British call crisps. A great snack.

If there are leftovers I will have it on toast for breakfast. There is a strong Laos influence in this area, both in food and language, so that is probably why the wife knows how to cook it.