VPN Issues .............................

Makoshark

9 minutes ago, dddave said:

I've been using SURFSHARK (paid) for 4 months for US sites and no issues with any banking sites or my Charles Schwab Investment account. Seems to always be a fast connection: never any Netflix buffering.

I also use Surfshark...  When you talk about Netflix connections, are you talking about connecting to the US or TH version of Netflix?  Last time I checked, Surfshark wasn't especially good at handling US Netflix.

The other issue with Surfshark for some users will be that it has a very small number of servers that you can configure in your wifi router, e.g., manual configuration.  Most of their connections require you to use one of their apps, which obviously isn't possible via a wifi router.

One other pretty annoying feature I've run into with Surfshark is their tendency to lock you out of your account if/when your ISP ends up giving you a different IP address. Because Surfshark's current system sees that as some kind of duplicate user/security risk.

But at about $2 a month available via various of their promotions, they're definitely one of the least expensive paid VPN services available out there, their apps work well, and they have a decent selection of U.S. server locations.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I access Netflix (US) via the Salt Lake City servers and have had no buffering issues. Programs usually take about 30 seconds to pre-load.  I had a lot of buffering and drop-outs with PURE-VPN previously.

Honestly, I have done nothing with my WiFi, configuration wise.  I use an Intel NUC running off  3BB fiber WiFi.  I just sign in to Surfshark when I want to use it.

Edited by dddave

26 minutes ago, dddave said:

I've been using SURFSHARK (paid) for 4 months for US sites and no issues with any banking sites or my Charles Schwab Investment account. Seems to always be a fast connection: never any Netflix buffering.

I tried a few that did not work or had problems before getting surshark. It works and about the cheapest

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Makoshark said:

I was using z FREE VPN and yesterday it was closed down.  www.ustvgo.tv

Can anyone recommend another VPN? 

Doesn't have to be free, but has to include CNBC as I trade stocks on the NYSE

Thanks

That site now seems to want people to subscribe specifically to Nord VPN to watch those channels.

16 hours ago, Makoshark said:

were you able to connect to "LIVE" so that you see the ticker tapes

Well it shows like "LIVE", "LIVE NOW" but no ticker tapes.

Are they shown 24/7?

It's 1:49 AM in NY now?

If I don't forget I'll retry in the evening.

live_or_not.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

Compared to nordvpn they ALL are ridiculous with just a bunch of servers around the world when nordvpn has more than 5000.

Why do people even discuss this topic when it's so clear already ?

do you use any other search engine but google ?!

6 minutes ago, samtab said:

Compared to nordvpn they ALL are ridiculous with just a bunch of servers around the world when nordvpn has more than 5000.

Why do people even discuss this topic when it's so clear already ?

do you use any other search engine but google ?!

Nordvpn has 5246 servers in 62 countries vs PIA with 12,335 servers in 74 countries.

Using your logic it seems clear which you should choose. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

Nordvpn has 5246 servers in 62 countries vs PIA with 12,335 servers in 74 countries.

is it famous ? never ever heard about it even when searching the best VPN !

i will stick to nord that even idiots know.

23 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I also use Surfshark...  When you talk about Netflix connections, are you talking about connecting to the US or TH version of Netflix?  Last time I checked, Surfshark wasn't especially good at handling US Netflix.

The other issue with Surfshark for some users will be that it has a very small number of servers that you can configure in your wifi router, e.g., manual configuration.  Most of their connections require you to use one of their apps, which obviously isn't possible via a wifi router.

One other pretty annoying feature I've run into with Surfshark is their tendency to lock you out of your account if/when your ISP ends up giving you a different IP address. Because Surfshark's current system sees that as some kind of duplicate user/security risk.

But at about $2 a month available via various of their promotions, they're definitely one of the least expensive paid VPN services available out there, their apps work well, and they have a decent selection of U.S. server locations.

A small side question if I may : I see talk of Netflicks and vpn, well I used Netflick without a VPN...  if its not US Netflick is it lacking movies?

and thats why all the talk of using a VPN for it?  Thanks..

13 minutes ago, Seeall said:

A small side question if I may : I see talk of Netflicks and vpn, well I used Netflick without a VPN...  if its not US Netflick is it lacking movies?

and thats why all the talk of using a VPN for it?  Thanks..

I haven't used Netflix for a long time.... But if I understand it right, it works as follows:

Netflix has streaming in various countries, including the U.S. and Thailand.

If you connect to their servers using a TH IP address, you'll get the more limited library TH version of Netflix.

If you connect to their servers with a VPN-provided U.S. IP address, and it's one that Netflix doesn't block, you'll get the much broader U.S. library version of Netflix.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I haven't used Netflix for a long time.... But if I understand it right, it works as follows:

Netflix has streaming in various countries, including the U.S. and Thailand.

If you connect to their servers using a TH IP address, you'll get the more limited library TH version of Netflix.

If you connect to their servers with a VPN-provided U.S. IP address, and it's one that Netflix doesn't block, you'll get the much broader U.S. library version of Netflix.

As I suspected, thanks

54 minutes ago, samtab said:

never ever heard about it even when searching the best VPN !

You seem to have a strange search engine :sleep:

https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-vpn

https://www.techradar.com/vpn/best-vpn

Express followed by Nord.

Express has it's price.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I use Surfshark. I did have some problem with the it. I have an Amazon Prime account and was able to watch all the shows for about 3 months using the Seattle server, but then they caught on so I moved to the San Francisco server. About a week later they were on to me again. On to LA, caught me same day. On to Salt Lake, got me. I did all the things I had read to do, deleting my browser cache, history etc. Didn't help. Finally, I changed my location in Windows. That did the trick, haven't had a problem since.

I don't use the VPN when connecting to my financials because they catch the changing IP and make me go though a security check at each logon.

I find Surfshark surprising fast, never had a lag watching movies in HD. 

A good useful report, thanks

5 hours ago, thedemon said:

Thinking again I understand how stupid is you reply.

Of course for vpn offering thousands of servers we don't have to worry about this, and for the rest (software etc..) Nord is clearly better in all reviews.

but if you compare most of the ridiculous vpn offering only hundred Ips, of course any comparison is even stupid, nord or pia are the best.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:20 PM, dddave said:

I've not had any problems accessing any of my US financial institutions without a VPN.  BofA, Wells, Schwab, Fidelity and SDFCU.  SDFCU without a VPN does force me to pass a Captcha sort of test.  Schwab sometimes asks me to call to verify a transfer to an external account.  I have a US number accessible via WiFi to solve that issue.