VPN Issues .............................

Makoshark

19 hours ago, samtab said:

Compared to nordvpn they ALL are ridiculous with just a bunch of servers around the world when nordvpn has more than 5000.

Why do people even discuss this topic when it's so clear already ?

do you use any other search engine but google ?!

Actually I use ANY search engine except Google! I use duckduckgo. 

I have had ExpressVPN for 8 years now and still read articles on 'best VPN' etc. It's always at the top of the pile. Nord rates high but is not 'clearly' the best by any means. It's very rare for one tech company to be years ahead of all their competitors and Nord is not in that position. There is always room for discussion. 

IMO free VPN is a myth. If it's free then you're the product they sell. Cheap VPN is like cheap anything: it's not the best. 

For the OP, I reached cnbc with no problem but I didn't try the stock ticker. Read the many articles comparing VPN services, don't bother to ask on a forum like this. Any good VPN will work regardless of your location or ISP. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, bunnydrops said:

Finally, I changed my location in Windows. That did the trick, haven't had a problem since.

What exactly do you mean by... changed my location in Windows? And just what specifically did you change?

Do you mean changing something at the system level in the Windows OS?

Or, something like using a browser extension like LocationGuard that allows you to select a custom geolocation regardless of your actual IP?

AFAIK, Netflix and Amazon Prime tend to block access using specific IPs or IP ranges that they believe to be VPN addresses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What exactly do you mean by... changed my location in Windows? And just what specifically did you change?

Do you mean changing something at the system level in the Windows OS?

Or, something like using a browser extension like LocationGuard that allows you to select a custom geolocation regardless of your actual IP?

AFAIK, Netflix and Amazon Prime tend to block access using specific IPs or IP ranges that they believe to be VPN addresses.

Go to Windows settings. Sites use many different ways to find your location. Browsers have a setting to give out location. Google is the hardest. If you have Google on you phone, they can check where your phone is, map history and such.

21 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Go to Windows settings. Sites use many different ways to find your location. Browsers have a setting to give out location. Google is the hardest. If you have Google on you phone, they can check where your phone is, map history and such.

In Windows 10, the user can turn off location services and/or limit the apps allowed to use location services under Windows Settings.  But my settings for that have always been "off".  And I've never found that having those set to off necessarily resolved VPN issues with streaming services.

Though, having location services turned "ON" in Windows might well cause a problem when trying to access foreign (non-Thai) streaming services.

Screenshot_1.jpg.68fcc1b26e29e7f5f249916780a1efde.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.ee1ce06487018bff0c953a78c9b314c7.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:23 PM, Seeall said:

A small side question if I may : I see talk of Netflicks and vpn, well I used Netflick without a VPN...  if its not US Netflick is it lacking movies?

and thats why all the talk of using a VPN for it?  Thanks..

Last time I checked Netflix offered around 30,000 movies and programs in the USA.

For the same price it offered only around 1100 in  Thailand for the same price as the USA.

I cancelled my subscription when I learned this.

• Like 1

Just now, Andy from Kent said:

Last time I checked Netflix offered around 30,000 movies and programs in the USA.

For the same price it offered only around 1100 in  Thailand for the same price as the USA.

I cancelled my subscription when I learned this.

thanks, awesume....

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In Windows 10, the user can turn off location services and/or limit the apps allowed to use location services under Windows Settings.  But my settings for that have always been "off".  And I've never found that having those set to off necessarily resolved VPN issues with streaming services.

Though, having location services turned "ON" in Windows might well cause a problem when trying to access foreign (non-Thai) streaming services.

Screenshot_1.jpg.68fcc1b26e29e7f5f249916780a1efde.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg.ee1ce06487018bff0c953a78c9b314c7.jpg

I have had an experience with at least one geo-blocked streaming site that, even with VPN, wouldn't work unless the Windows clock was set to a time zone within the country they were streaming from. I think it was Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have used Browsec for years, works with IPlayer,ITV, US,etc, when I tried Surf Shark

,IPVanish they did not work to UK, and found them not so easy to use,with Browsec just

one click and it works,maybe it does not have as many servers as some others,

but how many do you actually use ?they also have FREE product with UK server.

regards Worgeordie

3 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I have had an experience with at least one geo-blocked streaming site that, even with VPN, wouldn't work unless the Windows clock was set to a time zone within the country they were streaming from. I think it was Australia.

yeah AU total <deleted>... getting worse and worse so full of BS rules that dont help... I feel sorry for TH iif they try copy their <deleted>  no icence to stream leing news.. ha ha  and aussies beleive the tellyman....

On 1/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, samtab said:

Compared to nordvpn they ALL are ridiculous with just a bunch of servers around the world when nordvpn has more than 5000.

Why do people even discuss this topic when it's so clear already ?

do you use any other search engine but google ?!

Express VPN will not disclose how many, but estimates are 3000+........

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 6:06 PM, thedemon said:

Nordvpn has 5246 servers in 62 countries vs PIA with 12,335 servers in 74 countries.

Using your logic it seems clear which you should choose. 

Using my logic, to watch BBC I need to be connected to UK, the other 73 countries do not matter.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I need to select a new VPN service, as my old IP Vanish ain't doing what I need it to do... Specifically watching full US Amazon Prime catalogue. 

Are any of you currently able to get full Amazon package in Thailand, and if so, what VPN service are you using?

I'm leaning towards Express, but I'd like to know it will actually get me to Amazon Prime before I subscribe.

Thanks

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 6:13 AM, Makoshark said:

I was using z FREE VPN and yesterday it was closed down.  www.ustvgo.tv

Can anyone recommend another VPN? 

Doesn't have to be free, but has to include CNBC as I trade stocks on the NYSE

Thanks

Question on trading... I am on my way to Thailand next week... Do you have to use a VPN to login to your trading software? If so, what platform do you use? I have multiple accounts Think Or Swim(TDA), Active Trader(fidelity) and StreetSmart Edge(Schwab) and also WeBull and was wondering if I needed it or not. Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 8:16 AM, Mai mee said:

I need to select a new VPN service, as my old IP Vanish ain't doing what I need it to do... Specifically watching full US Amazon Prime catalogue. 

Are any of you currently able to get full Amazon package in Thailand, and if so, what VPN service are you using?

I'm leaning towards Express, but I'd like to know it will actually get me to Amazon Prime before I subscribe.

Thanks

Express VPN is getting it done, thumbsup!

33 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I never use Google for searches.

This site lists worthwhile privacy related search engines:

https://privacytools.io/providers/search-engines/

NOTE: For fans of the Google search engine:

"Startpage.com is a search engine that provides Google search results with complete privacy protection."

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Do you recommend LocationGuard?

Can't find it at F-Droid nor Play Store.

Edited by JimmyJ

On 3/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, JimmyJ said:

Do you recommend LocationGuard?

Can't find it at F-Droid nor Play Store.

Yes, Location Guard is great!  But it's not an app or program. It's a free browser extension for Firefox and Chrome browsers at least, that can be downloaded and installed by searching for the name in those two browser's respective extension stores.

It's not a replacement for a VPN, however, but rather a supplement or complement.

The only thing Location Guard does is allow you to manually change the geolocation information shown by your browser to the location of your choice. It doesn't change or relocate your IP address, nor does it necessarily unlock streaming services in general.

However, particularly for U.S. folks, there are some city/market specific streaming services that in addition to requiring a U.S. IP address, also use your browser's geolocation capability/info to determine what city/market you're in so they can provide the corresponding content. For example, if you want to get NY market or L.A. market television content via a streaming service like Locast.

General services like Netflix or Amazon Prime only care that you have a U.S. IP address, and don't deal with browser geolocation at all AFAIK... But services that offer content that's specific to a particular market/city, that's where browser geolocation often comes into play, along with the requirement of a U.S. IP address.

• Like 1