Do you peel cucumbers?

EVENKEEL

Just now, Bangyai said:

No. I like to walk on the wild side just for the adrenalin rush.

I had considered base jumping but it looked too risky plus there have been far fewer fatalities eating cucumbers with the skin on. 

Thank you for your prompt response. Noted.

Just now, connda said:

No.  Why toss all those vitamins and minerals as well as taste. 

Have you ever picked them off the vines, giving them a wash, and ate them on the spot?  Gawd.  Wonderful.  Like so many other unprocessed veggies. 

But, maybe mummy only gave you peeled cukes so that's what you like.
Each to their own.  My Grandmum wouldn't eat apple skins.  I'll eat them however they're served, but honestly the skins offer a lot of taste compared to the otherwise bland insides.  No wonder most farangs need to drown their vegetables and fruits in heavy saturated fats dressings.
All I need to do it walk around in the expat community and it's pretty easy to see who still eats a Western diet.  Just a bowl of various fruits and a glass of water can just be exquisite.

Don't believe we ate raw cucumbers growing up, ours were finely sliced with skin on and pickled in jars. Some of outgrow what our parents fed us. My meal tonight was a filet mignon steak and a greek style salad with a (sliced cucumber) olive oil mixed with a vinaigrette. Desert tonight will be 1/4 watermelon. I suppose you eat the rhine as well.

• Haha 1

I'm LMAO!!!  ????????????????????

You went to the trouble of creating a new thread after my reply here

I must agree with @connda above. The peel is where the vitamins, minerals and TASTE are - with cucumber (and apples) it gives added "crunch"

With potatoes it's essential....IMO!

I don't eat banana skins though - I'm not a complete pig ????

And of course your other point was about how the Thais serve cucumber - well you may be right there but East is East.....etc

BUT.....All a matter of taste, innit? ????

Edited by VBF

3 minutes ago, jvs said:

We eat cucumbers out of our own garden with the skin on,we do not use any chemicals

so no need to peel in order to avoid the pesticides.

If i would buy from any where else,off the peel would come.

Really.....don't you think washing is sufficient? I do and so it seems does  @kidneyw

Edited by VBF

1 minute ago, VBF said:

Really.....don't you think washing is sufficient? I do.

Really,i do not think washing will get rid of all the poison!

I saw a farmer spray his crop  the day before it was harvested and went to the market!

• Like 1

Just now, jvs said:

Really,i do not think washing will get rid of all the poison!

I saw a farmer spray his crop  the day before it was harvested and went to the market!

Fair play....I just give my immune system a regular work-out????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Is that a euphemism mate? ???? 

Was that addressed to me?

If so, actually, no it wasn't!  The old "eat a peck of dirt before you die" adage still holds good for me ????

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

"peeling cucumbers..' ???? 

Ah I get it........there he is........lying in the gutter........looking at the drains!  ????

What you do with your cucumber is your concern mate! Perhaps you're preparing it for a friend? ????

Oh, and I don't peel carrots either - just give 'em a good scrubbing.

Go on - I dare you!!!

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, VBF said:

I'm LMAO!!!  ????????????????????

You went to the trouble of creating a new thread after my reply here

I must agree with @connda above. The peel is where the vitamins, minerals and TASTE are - with cucumber (and apples) it gives added "crunch"

With potatoes it's essential....IMO!

I don't eat banana skins though - I'm not a complete pig ????

And of course your other point was about how the Thais serve cucumber - well you may be right there but East is East.....etc

BUT.....All a matter of taste, innit? ????

A friend of mine would eat oranges without peeling. Ate them like an apple. Glad you like my new thread. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

A friend of mine would eat oranges without peeling. Ate them like an apple. Glad you like my new thread. 

Now THAT I find hard to understand, but as I said above "All a matter of taste, innit?"

People's tastes and fads about food can actually be fun and you can learn quite a lot about what goes with what against all conventions ....but that's a whole new topic.

In the Uk dont touch just wash and cut, here, the wife always washes and peels them.

No idea why never really thought about it, but since you mention it, dont recall seeing them in any eatery here with the skin on either.

• Haha 1

Most of the goodness - vitamins - is in the skins of all veg, but so is the badness - pesticides. If eating veg raw I wash thoroughly but sometimes peel, sometimes don't. Depends how I am serving them; I always peel for a tuna and cucumber sandwich.

29 minutes ago, VBF said:

Oh, and I don't peel carrots either - just give 'em a good scrubbing.

Go on - I dare you!!!

The old girl , would never scrub Jersey new potatoes .

Just add , salted butter ..

Cucumber , whatever turns you on...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, champers said:

Most of the goodness - vitamins - is in the skins of all veg, but so is the badness - pesticides. If eating veg raw I wash thoroughly but sometimes peel, sometimes don't. Depends how I am serving them; I always peel for a tuna and cucumber sandwich.

Sprayed . courtesy of Monsanto . 555

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1