Struck poor by COVID, Phuket man tries to sell eye on Facebook

snoop1130

3 hours ago, jmccarty said:

I sincerely hope it will be long term.  As annoying as tour busses blocking the way has been in the past, it is not the bus driver or owners fault and these people deserve to earn a living.

I don't blame the bus drivers either. But it would be great that during this global travel lockdown that all the coaches/buses could be retrofitted with roof mounted exhausts.  

The current exhausts on coaches are deadly IMO and would have to contribute to health problems.

I personally have become very ill from breathing in diesel fumes from coaches as they spew out of street level exhausts.  

Extremely carcinogenic as well. 

Motorbike riders are constantly inundated by the exhaust gases and exposing themselves to serious illness/diseases.

In Australia and other countries, the exhausts are roof mounted because of the negative health consequences and therefore as a way to mitigate the effects (not a perfect solution but helps to disperse the gases above street level).

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Struck poor by COVID, Phuket man tries to sell eye on Facebook

By The Phuket News

1610967272_1-org.jpg

Mr Taweep Mee Phan who took to Facebook out of desperation offering to sell one of his eyes. Photo: Chalong Municipality

PHUKET:-- A man who has been severely affected by the COVID-19 fallout took to social media in desperation last week offering to sell one of his eyes.

Mr Taweep Mee Phan, 57, from Chalong posted on his Facebook account last Friday (Jan 15) that he was willing to sell his left eye to raise much needed funds to support his family.

Mr Taweep was a bus driver for a Chinese tour company for 15 years before losing his job last February when tourists numbers visiting the island dried up.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/struck-poor-by-covid-phuket-man-tries-to-sell-eye-on-facebook-78693.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-01-18

Very sad. But why an eye? I ca understand selling a kidney, but an eye? can eyes be transplanted?

5 hours ago, Xonax said:

Most likely just a publicity stunt. And it worked.

Possibly, but it shows how desperate some people are to get money to buy food for themselves and their families, and how little their Government and fellow countrymen are doing to help them.

Tell me, when you saw this story was your first thought "Another publicity stunt" or "Poor man to have to resort to such desperate measures"?

The guy got himself a job.......so there is happy ending to the story.

Researchers aim for first human eye transplant within the decade.

PITTSBURGH — Scientists have strived for successful eye transplants for centuries.

Never has a whole-eye transplant been successfully done in a living person. The eye’s complex web of muscles, blood vessels, and nerves — connected directly to the brain — has doomed past experiments to failure.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/researchers-human-eye-transplant-decade

• Like 1

This is a sad case of course and i'm glad something was done for man.  Nobody has yet mentioned the glaring fact that if the governments policy of getting rid of Farangs wasn't interupted by the C19 scourge then most farangs on here and indeed Thailand would of been writing on his forum from anywhere else but Thailand.  Remember the governments plan was to flood the country with Chinese and to hell with those "Dirty farangs"  (Anutins words) but a sentiment i believe shared by many in the government, the question is now, when the threat is over will the government return to making what's left of the farangs jump through all the hoops they can think of until Thailand's finally cleansed, then resort back to the old plan of flooding the place with Chinese...... I personally thought the C19 test for visa application was the fourth ace in the hand and such a great way to expel certain individuals to arrive at their desired plan of a farang free country.   This government and their policies have caused a lot of grief for many people and i can see why people both farangs and Thais are in such desperate circumstances that they might consider something as drastic as suicide.......  Personally unless something happens with the present individuals in charge then i seriously think every farangs days are numbered in this country, regardless of how many hoops you jump through........  I'm praying for a change of management as it seems the only way of returning Thailand to the once happy country that it was...... 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 4:08 AM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

What a sad thing to read. I really hope he can find a better solution, or get help from somebody.

i also saw there where members here on this forum that laughed at this news in the line up. Shame on you!

Probably the laugh about this story is eyes can not be transplanted. 

There is no technology to do this.

So a sad story which tells us that the pandemic / lack of tourism is crippling Thailand, especially the poor. 

• Sad 1

I feel sorry for the man, hope the government shows some brain, allows entry of anyone with a negative rt pcr like many other countries, 

but the govt wanna keep the numbers low and the ASQ is a big money minting scheme. there is no real tourist as of now,

i hope next time if i visit, i would be treated with respect by the thais and not asked to go back to my country by thai street girls because i dnt have the right skin color. 

7 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Probably the laugh about this story is eyes can not be transplanted. 

There is no technology to do this.

So a sad story which tells us that the pandemic / lack of tourism is crippling Thailand, especially the poor. 

What a laughable comment! Just because there is no tecjnology to transplant a complete eye, does not mean that you can not transplant parts of it. I suggest you open up your narrow mind to reality. There is something called a cornea transplantation, which is the essential part for sight in the eye. In othe words, do not take everything you read litterally. What he mean is to give away the useful part of his eye. Do you think he will have good, or any, sight on that eye after? Can we then agree about that he was right in ststing that he considered giving away his eye?

To better explain it to you: If you have the glass removed form your window frame, or if you take out the whole window. Will one of those option give better protection from cold weather?

Good reading: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/treatments/transplantation-eye

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason

On 1/18/2021 at 10:08 PM, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

What a sad thing to read. I really hope he can find a better solution, or get help from somebody.

i also saw there where members here on this forum that laughed at this news in the line up. Shame on you!

It always,as here,seems to be the intellectually challenged 'Xonax' who unthinkingly puts ???? emojis as his reaction to most stories.