Thai private hospitals reserve COVID-19 vaccines ahead of approval

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agree with what you say but they really should not state: "We cannot take a profit here because it is a humanitarian issue for the country,"

We all know thats utter bull$hit

Totally agree, this could clearly be a lie. Unless they provide a breakdown of what other costs are incurred, nobody knows where the money is going!

5 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Total cost is more than the vaccine alone

Shipping 

Storage 

Syringe

Needle

Other supplies to give the shot

Medical staff to prep the vaccine 

Medical staff to give the vaccine 

I am sure there is some profit for the hospital, but not as much as at first glance

Exactly my point. No one knows the true figures, but taking the THB 150 example, that does leave a potential of THB 1,450 per dose (THB 2,900 in total). It would be nice for these companies to be transparent, if making such grandiose claims of helping humanity, to avoid misinformation.

Edited by phuketitnet

I have a burning question 

How is it that a Private Hospital has priority over Governments that wish to Vaccinate their people.

Or !

Is it just wishful thinking on the part of these Hospitals that they command some kind of preference over Governments.

I doubt very much that any Vaccine will be made available to these Hospitals without some kind of significant pre-payment by the Manufacturers.

Guess which one will be picked.

It will be a disgrace to the world when they pick China.

Please don't insult LOS and the good people of Thailand.

The people at the very very top of the tree *will not* be having/already have had the Chinese vaccine.

The good people of Thailand deserve the best*not* the cheapest s**t on the market.

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Yes.  If you don't, CV19 will be around longer and more will die.  70% or so needs to be jabbed to get herd immunity.  So yes, rush out and get one.  We're all in this together.

Unfortunately, the new more infectious UK, Brazil and South African variants mean that the epidemiologists are now saying that 80% will need to be vaccinated. That's in the US. I don't know how they factored in the differing efficacies of vaccines, but in the US the vaccines available now have 95% efficacy. With a vaccine at 50% efficacy, is herd immunity possible solely by vaccination?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I actually found a Thai doctor that is offering the vaccine right now.  I got it, and it only cost me 5,000 baht.  It's been a week and the only adverse symptom I have been suffering is a profusion of hair growth on the head of my penis.  I wish it would have grown on my big head!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

What's the rush, currently 117 vaccines in trials in 47 countries around the globe.

I will now sit on the fence after the 56 year old Doctor in the US died and the recent Norway event where 29 people died, regardless of the being elderly, some patients vaccinated having terminal illnesses.

By the time I get vaxed, maybe Thailand would have reached herd immunity, hurry up and vax them all I say

By the time the last vaccines in the pipeline are ready for Phase III trials, it may be difficult to organize them because so many people will have had Covid already.

If we see mutations starting to produce variants that overcome the current vaccines, some vaccines in the pipeline might help, but otherwise the mRNA vaccines can probably be adapted.

Trials for these hopefully can be abbreviated.

We really need to increase production capacity so there will be sufficient supply to avoid a continuing equity debate. It remains to be seen how herd immunity can be achieved and maintained.

For patients, Thonburi's medical centres plan to offer two vaccine injections for 3,200 baht ($106.28).

"We cannot take a profit here because it is a humanitarian issue for the country," he said.

AstraZeneca costs only 60baht per doses. The Sinovac vaccin iss sold to thailand for 5usd per doses .....  so how can he get from 60 baht to 3200 baht and saying without blinking his eyes that he is not making any profit?

That must be a golden injection needle they are using !  This is total bs!

20 hours ago, wasabi said:

So far Sinovac and at some point the AstraZeneca vaccines appear to be the only choices in Thailand. If those two I will be taking the AstraZeneca one.

Thanks for sharing your plans, which will undoubtably guide us all.

Another private hospital, Vibhavadi Medical Centre Pcl, has ordered 10,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lks7689 said:

Seem a lot of people thought cost of production equates to the final product being administered. Only a couple here ask about the shipping, storage, administration cost. I wouldn't say the hospital are not making profit but you can't use the cost it takes to leave the factory to compare to the one that reach the end user. 

So if i get 10.000 foreigners to vaccinate twice i have 10.000 x 3.200 baht = 32.000.000 baht.  Each injections costs only 60 baht (astraZeneca) .So 10.000 * 60 = (twice) = 1.200.000 baht. So it takes roughly 30.000.000 baht to get the vaccin into Thailand? You must be believing in fairytales to believe that he is not making any profit. I don't believe such. Even when you calculate the same with Sinovac which asks 150 baht per shot... 10.000 x 150 x 2 = 3.000.000 baht still leaves you with 29.000.000 baht for transport, needles, etc etc. No Way not making a profit!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For patients, Thonburi's medical centres plan to offer two vaccine injections for 3,200 baht ($106.28).

Which vaccine?  How many of these hospitals are going to jack up the price of vaccines 2X, 3X, 5X, 10X?  And who regulates them? 

I wonder if doses earmarked from public consumption sort of find their way to the highest bidders, as This Is Thailand.

Edited by connda

10 hours ago, Prairieboy said:
11.- What is the real benefit of vaccination?
Government Response - The virus won't kill you.

At least with the Astra-Zeneca vaccine (leaving aside the Chinese version for this exchange), the trials show the AZ vaccine does a pretty good job of preventing COVID fatalities, and likewise preventing serious COVID illness.

In my book, something that prevents you from getting seriously ill and/or dying is a pretty good protective measure to take -- even if it doesn't erase the needs for all the other preventive/social measures.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, phuketitnet said:

Also, the THB 3,200 cost is for 2 doses (THB 1,600) each. Still well above the actual cost I'm sure,

But we are being told this is an existential threat to all of humanity and - to the the right thing - the drug makers and hospital who distribute the vaccines to save humanity should be producing and distributing these vaccines at cost in order to Stop The Pandemic - of  course with government subsidies.

Yeah?  Is that the storyline? 

Or - sell them for a nice solid profit.  Watch the stock prices of these participants, then you'll know reality.  Look at the stock prices of the main players.  Can't you smell the philanthropy?  <sniff sniff>
"Hummm, smells like?  Money and profits!"

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TimBKK said:

Thai FDA just needs to read this article to get off their #$& and approve more vaccines:

https://messaging-custom-newsletters.nytimes.com/template/oakv2?uri=nyt://newsletter/bef2a621-8397-5b83-8f34-17ad0bb04bc6&productCode=NN&abVariantId=0&CCPAOptOut=true&te=1&nl=the-morning&emc=edit_nn_20210118

A snippet:

• The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines — the only two approved in the U.S. — are among the best vaccines ever created, with effectiveness rates of about 95 percent after two doses. That’s on par with the vaccines for chickenpox and measles. And a vaccine doesn’t even need to be so effective to reduce cases sharply and crush a pandemic.
  • If anything, the 95 percent number understates the effectiveness, because it counts anyone who came down with a mild case of Covid-19 as a failure. But turning Covid into a typical flu — as the vaccines evidently did for most of the remaining 5 percent — is actually a success. Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.

'Of the 32,000 people who received the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine in a research trial, do you want to guess how many contracted a severe Covid case? One.'

That goes for the other vaccines too, including Sinovac.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Yeah, you're also able to get covid faster in Thailand nowadays than if you still lived in Australia. 

Very much doubt that. I'm in Australia for a new grandchild, but will feel just as safe in Thailand when I get back soon. Just stay away from fish markets. Here it's pubs and RSL clubs. You'll find Thailand behind OZ in Covid cases and deaths, and please don't give me the fudged figures silliness... https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, connda said:

Good.  You're one less person I have to contend with when I seek my Sinovac shot.

You are welcome to my place, the Chinese cannot be trusted to keep things inside a lab why would I trust anything that they say would cure it, but then again I am immune.

2 hours ago, placnx said:

By the time the last vaccines in the pipeline are ready for Phase III trials, it may be difficult to organize them because so many people will have had Covid already.

Those who have had Covid from my research said people who have already had Covid can have the vaccine, remembering that this virus predominantly affects the elderly, those with morbidities and those who are obese, so why are we vaccinating everybody ?

3 hours ago, placnx said:

If we see mutations starting to produce variants that overcome the current vaccines, some vaccines in the pipeline might help, but otherwise the mRNA vaccines can probably be adapted.

Trials for these hopefully can be abbreviated.

As this mRNA vaccine is only new technology to the market, albeit they say they have been working on it since 2003, I would really like to see how it affects people in the long run, so that one is out for me.

3 hours ago, placnx said:

We really need to increase production capacity so there will be sufficient supply to avoid a continuing equity debate. It remains to be seen how herd immunity can be achieved and maintained.

Yep, I will be the last one getting a jab, bring on herd immunity thanks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, connda said:

But we are being told this is an existential threat to all of humanity and - to the the right thing - the drug makers and hospital who distribute the vaccines to save humanity should be producing and distributing these vaccines at cost in order to Stop The Pandemic - of  course with government subsidies.

Yeah?  Is that the storyline? 

Or - sell them for a nice solid profit.  Watch the stock prices of these participants, then you'll know reality.  Look at the stock prices of the main players.  Can't you smell the philanthropy?  <sniff sniff>
"Hummm, smells like?  Money and profits!"

Oxford/AZ is sold at not for profit, in certain circumstances. Whether or not those countries then ramp up the cost remains to be seen.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/nov/23/oxford-astrazeneca-results-covid-vaccine-developing-countries

20 hours ago, phuketitnet said:

While I agree with the ethical side to your point, even though there is a report of it costing $5 in Thailand, does that apply to government contract only? Perhaps the cost for purchasing in large quantities would be $5. Would 1 million be too few for this price? Who knows.

Also, the THB 3,200 cost is for 2 doses (THB 1,600) each. Still well above the actual cost I'm sure, but they are a business, albeit in healthcare and have other costs to cover, not just the vaccine shot.

They will make some profit, no one know's how much of course, as there is little transparency - it would be interesting to know though.

But they claim they can't take a profit cause it's a humanitarian thing so they are fing liers 

4 hours ago, Mike k said:

But they claim they can't take a profit cause it's a humanitarian thing so they are fing liers 

Yes, I agree, hence me writing "They will make some profit, no one know's how much of course, as there is little transparency - it would be interesting to know though."