Thai private hospitals reserve COVID-19 vaccines ahead of approval

snoop1130

19 hours ago, sandyf said:

Unlikely you will ever know. It is highly likely the purchasing chain will be different, the government buying direct from the manufacturer, and the hospitals buying through an intermediary. The latter can cause a huge difference between final price and base price with both entities looking to make a profit.

It has been said that Israel paid a large premium to be one of the first to get the Pfizer vaccine, government just refused to confirm or deny.

The one thing that cannot be denied, worldwide, money talks.

I thought the deal with Israel was that they had to vaccinate in record time to prove Pfizer wasn't hard to roll out? They do seem to be doing just that, but from what I've seen it's more a budget drive-thru experience, rather than vaccinating and ensuring the patient is ok afterwards. Perhaps there is some cash on the line too ????

4 hours ago, phuketitnet said:

I thought the deal with Israel was that they had to vaccinate in record time to prove Pfizer wasn't hard to roll out? They do seem to be doing just that, but from what I've seen it's more a budget drive-thru experience, rather than vaccinating and ensuring the patient is ok afterwards. Perhaps there is some cash on the line too ????

Yes, as well as paying over the odds, part of the deal was that they provide Pfizer with the data, with a small population and a hi tech medical record system the results were going to come quite quickly.

Bear in mind, my comment was about variation in cost.

Israel agreed to pay $56 per Pfizer vaccine immunization, $28 for each of the two shots required, Channel 13 reported.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-will-reportedly-pay-more-than-us-eu-for-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine/

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yes, as well as paying over the odds, part of the deal was that they provide Pfizer with the data, with a small population and a hi tech medical record system the results were going to come quite quickly.

Bear in mind, my comment was about variation in cost.

Israel agreed to pay $56 per Pfizer vaccine immunization, $28 for each of the two shots required, Channel 13 reported.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-will-reportedly-pay-more-than-us-eu-for-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine/

Wow. That is stupidly expensive compared to the alleged EU rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/belgian-minister-accidentally-tweets-eus-covid-vaccine-price-list

18 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Those who have had Covid from my research said people who have already had Covid can have the vaccine, remembering that this virus predominantly affects the elderly, those with morbidities and those who are obese, so why are we vaccinating everybody ?

As this mRNA vaccine is only new technology to the market, albeit they say they have been working on it since 2003, I would really like to see how it affects people in the long run, so that one is out for me.

Yep, I will be the last one getting a jab, bring on herd immunity thanks.

On your first point, I was talking about vaccine trials, where we want subjects who have not yet had Covid. That's why the Chinese said they wanted to do international trials. They must have expected difficulty in easily finding locals who hadn't had it, just another issue with a disease that can remain asymptomatic.

By the time updates of mRNA vaccines (and others) are needed to respond to a series of mutations possibly putting people already vaccinated in jeopardy again, enough time will hopefully have passed to better assess the safety and effectiveness of all the vaccines. The mRNA vaccines have two advantages, requiring much less development time and being able to more specifically target virus vulnerabilities.

Humanity with few exceptions needs to be vaccinated, but this will take years. By that time those already vaccinated may need boosters, so herd immunity is a challenging goal. Immunity after infection may not be very long lasting, so vaccination is the solution, ideally of 80% of a population due to the highly infectious nature of the latest variants.

Since we have a lot to learn about this virus and how various vaccines might or might not help prevent transmission, people should get used to wearing masks! 

As for cost issues, without regulation exorbitant fees may happen.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placnx said:

On your first point, I was talking about vaccine trials, where we want subjects who have not yet had Covid. That's why the Chinese said they wanted to do international trials. They must have expected difficulty in easily finding locals who hadn't had it, just another issue with a disease that can remain asymptomatic.

By the time updates of mRNA vaccines (and others) are needed to respond to a series of mutations possibly putting people already vaccinated in jeopardy again, enough time will hopefully have passed to better assess the safety and effectiveness of all the vaccines. The mRNA vaccines have two advantages, requiring much less development time and being able to more specifically target virus vulnerabilities.

Humanity with few exceptions needs to be vaccinated, but this will take years. By that time those already vaccinated may need boosters, so herd immunity is a challenging goal. Immunity after infection may not be very long lasting, so vaccination is the solution, ideally of 80% of a population due to the highly infectious nature of the latest variants.

Since we have a lot to learn about this virus and how various vaccines might or might not help prevent transmission, people should get used to wearing masks! 

As for cost issues, without regulation exorbitant fees may happen.

Would you suggest the mRNA vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna as they might be able to deliver faster boosters for the variant of the virus, e.g. less development time and specifically target the virus's vulnerabilities, i.e. a very interest point that I hadn't thought of before. 

Looking at the way these figures are doing somersaults in TAT fashion i would predict that miraculously this virus vanishes at just about the same time that the people running show realize that the ship's just about to sink with all hands. The next and life saving move for the country will be to fling the doors open wide and get all those people back that immigration drove out over the last few years, after all, if there's no tourists there's no money, and if there's no money........ Then there's no honey......    

• Like 1

I am not yet confident Thailand has the resources to keep the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines at their appropriate subzero temperatures. If not deep chilled they become useless, but we would never be the wiser. Though I would prefer one of those 2 since I don't have faith in their storage here I will try to get the AstraZeneca one if I am still in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Some off topic posts and replies have been removed.   This topic is about:

Thai private hospitals reserve COVID-19 vaccines ahead of approval

Off topic posts and replies regarding the eradication of smallpox have been removed.

Edited by metisdead