Maejo Road beautification project....

Trujillo

If you thought, "Well, some day the powers-that-be will get around to burying the overhead power/TV cables and whatever else is up there and let the trees grow and improve the view," but I have bad news for you. 

These power poles going up along Maejo Road are 20 meters tall (a bit of that is planted in the earth, granted). If you think they are attractive now, just wait until they are laden with lines....

Guess you can kiss the idea of Chiang Mai ever entering the modern age as far as beautification along the roadways goes. 

1075527069_PowerpolesonMaejoRd.thumb.jpg.e34822c9790d9ba9a2e19b7a5b055d2e.jpg

9 hours ago, Trujillo said:

If you thought, "Well, some day the powers-that-be will get around to burying the overhead power/TV cables and whatever else is up there and let the trees grow and improve the view," but I have bad news for you. 

Sorry but I have bad news for you.  In fact lines have been burried in some places in Chiang Mai already.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Moving the poles even closer to the road dashes a lot of hopes and dreams for a bicycle lane.

They could turn the inside lane into a bicycle lane.  It's never used as a driving lane, & only used for parking.  Partition it for bicycles & tough <deleted> to businesses who didn't provide offroad parking for customers ????

Same for the ringroads & Hang Dong road ????

Edited by Yorkshire Tea
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

They could turn the inside lane into a bicycle lane.  It's never used as a driving lane, & only used for parking.  Partition it for bicycles & tough <deleted> to businesses who didn't provide offroad parking for customers ????

Same for the ringroads & Hang Dong road ????

How many people have you seen riding around on bikes in the area ?

the only ones i ever seen are tourists and there's none of them now.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

"There are trees there in the center median and on the side of the road. And, that is a nice wide road fairly busy how "beautiful" does it need to be?"

Because of the power lines above, the trees along the sidewalk are annually pollarded and look like misshapen stumps. By the time the new growth comes, it's time to hack the stuffing out of them again. They are, for a while, tree-like, but they never get a chance to grow past the bottom of the powerlines (which would not be an issue if the lines were underground). 

FYI, they are also putting in these mega-poles along the Doi Saket Road in places. 

As for "how 'beautiful' does it need to be," I suppose if your idea of beauty is tarmac and power/cable/whatnot lines, giant concrete poles, and annually butchered trees, then it's absolutely a wonderland on ol' Maejo Road for you. Probably reminds FolkGuitar of a Japanese garden. 

And it's worth remembering that these poles being set up tell you that there are NO plans to ever bury anything on this road. 

This photo is along a part they have not yet added the big beauty poles. The more I look at it, the more I start to see your point. How much more beautiful could it be? Suddenly I feel guilty not having fully appreciated the absolutely stunning beauty of this. Could this be Thailand's next offer for a World Heritage Site? I certainly think it merits it. 

1740842236_PowerpolesMaejord.thumb.jpg.db266f49ce25ac3fee132574fd491ffd.jpg

"Well, Amos, that there's a nice wide road fairly busy. Finer a sight I never did see." 

"I do declare, Otis, you done picked a beautiful place for a picnic." 

• Like 1