30 day "under consideration" period. What's that mean?

12 month extensions on non-immigrant visas require a 30 day "under consideration" period (at least I assume that's all non-im. visas. Certainly I know B and O by marriage do). So you have to return to the office where you made the application 30 days later to get your 12 months stamped in your passport.

My question is what do they do/check when you go back? Is it just to verify that you're still in the country? Or are there further documents and checks to make? For instance do they re-check you financials or work permit status? If you no longer have enough money in the bank for your retirement visa but did when you actually applied will you have a problem? If you lose your work permit after you submit your application will you be declined? Will a change in your status AFTER you successfully apply for your extension change your status if it comes before your "under consideration" period is complete?

Also, do you have to go back to the same office?

4 hours ago, Captain7ack said:

For instance do they re-check you financials or work permit status? If you no longer have enough money in the bank for your retirement visa but did when you actually applied will you have a problem?

A retirement extension (it isn't a visa) may require you to return the next day to collect it and all one needs is the receipt. An Extension based on marriage has a one month 'under consideration' period while it is sent off to the central office for approval. When returning to pick up the passport and marriage extension many offices ask you to show you still have the 400k on deposit. 

Extensions of stay based upon working marriage to or the parent have to a approved at the Immigration Division headquarters for the region of the country where the local office is located. That is the reason for the 30 day under consideration period.

You have to return to the office where you applied for the extension to get the one year extension stamp.

Archived