Anyone denied entry recently?

First, I’m assuming that anyone flying to Thailand has to land at Suvarnabhumi.

Has anyone been refused entry? This is divided into two parts: for paperwork issues and immigration issues.

From reports it seems that arrivals are subject to multiple (8?) checks of their documents.

While I can see why airport staff will cross check your ASQ booking with their list, I don’t understand why they need to scrutinize your other papers. Unlike the Covid test and FTF, the COE is prepared by Thai consul staff. If there’s a problem with the COE, it shouldn’t be blamed on the recipient. The Covid test and FTF are required for flying. Once you’ve made it to BKK, who cares about them? Insurance is part of the COE. Are the staff just checking off that you have the documents in hand or do they go so far as to study the contents of the documents? Can Suvarnabhumi officials actually fail anyone at this pre-immigration stage?

Almost a year ago there were reports of IOs launching a crackdown on rogue foreigners “living” in Thailand without a proper visa. Many were denied entry, even if they held a valid tourist visa. I was almost one of them. I was initially denied entry at DMIA but finally was allowed in because I had hospital appointments to pick up my meds. I was given a stern warning to get a MTV the next time. I wonder if the IO flagged my record for that requirement.

Has anyone been denied entry by Immigration since the pandemic? Would they wave someone like me through even if I have no visa (visa-exempt)? I managed to catch the last flight out of Thailand in March and haven’t been back since, but would like to return this year for a couple months if possible.

Also, I’m currently living in the US near an honorary Royal Thai Consulate-General. If I have to obtain a visa, could I do it there in person rather than mail my passport to a official TRG consulate?

• Confused 2

The Covid test and FTF are required for flying. Once you’ve made it to BKK, who cares about them?

These 2 documents get a lot of attention on arrival and on check-in at the ASQ also they're not checked by the embassy prior to travel so I wouldn't say no one cares about them on arrival.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Farma said:

These 2 documents get a lot of attention on arrival and on check-in at the ASQ also they're not checked by the embassy prior to travel so I wouldn't say no one cares about them on arrival.

I'm not saying that no one cares about them. I'm saying that I don't understand why they pay so much attention to them at the pre-immigration stage after your flight. Especially the FTF. I can see why that might be needed before boarding, but if you've already finished your flight and have arrived at your final destination, why would it be still needed? It's like your boarding pass. No one checks that after you arrive at the final airport. What I'm getting to is whether there is anything to worry about as you pass through the battery of document checks before proceeding to passport control. Has anyone been questioned about their documents? Has anyone been prevented from proceeding to passport control and entering Thailand?

13 hours ago, Paul DS said:

They check because if you were refused entry at Thailand, then the Airline have to return you to country of departure at their expense.

Not sure who "they" is referring to. I'm asking about what could happen after you arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration are not playing the denial of entry game for having several tourist visa and visa exempt entries in the past.

If you got to the point of having your documents checked by them their would not be much reason for denial of entry other than black listing. The covid 19 tests and fit to fly certificates when of been checked by the the airlines before you got here and probably the health department before you you got to immigration.

I'm curious about people's recent experiences at passport control (immigration). Do they get stamped in automatically? Has anyone been questioned, like why are they coming to Thailand, are they working (illegally) in Thailand, etc? Do the IOs flip through the back pages of your passport or study your history on their computer screens like they used to do in the past?

10Years,

I just re-entered the country on Sunday with a newly minted  non-immigrant O-A and I am now in ASQ downtown BKK. Farma is correct in that the process  at the airport was efficient. The constant checking of ALL documents attendant to the COE and O-A  did seem like overkill but I had confidence in the thoroughness of my preparation and it went fairly smoothly. The only concern I had was when the final tandem of immigration officers (the ones who really count) kept going over and over and over my insurance papers. I kept thinking, "oh boy here we go", but when they motioned me to pose for the camera I knew that I was in. My insurance was for coverage far in excess of the requirements for both the O-A and also Covid. So I am not sure what that was all about.

If you haven't discovered already, I think that the Consulates and Embassy in US are not doing in-person applications. That was my experience with Chicago. I did the O-A via UPS and the COE on-line.

Wishing you luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farma said:

Prior to arrival the only people who look at the PCR and Fit to Fly certificates are airline staff at check-in and at the departure gate just prior to boarding. The other documents like COE, insurance and ASQ booking are also checked.

I flew via Dubai and 2 guys where taken away from the departure gate for PCR tests as the departure gate staff decided they didn't meet the requirement. The flight was delayed as their baggage was removed and they missed the flight.

Arrival in Bangkok is very well organized. This is the first time Thai health officials get to check the documents. Particular attention is paid to the PCR and Fit to Fly papers. The first check circled the "not infected" writing on my PCR certificate.From memory they're checked 3 times at the wall of medical staff that meet you.

The next check of documents is in the immigration queue area where immigration staff check your documents and take the COE for their records. You are then directed to the usual immigration desk for entry stamp as normal.

The whole process is very efficient  and you don't have much time stand around looking so I cant say if people were rejected.

The actual immigration stamp part is normal with the officers scanning your fingers. The immigration officer noticed something about  me and queried it with her supervisor but there was no problem. I can only guess it was because I had 2 active visas.

Once out with your baggage you are met by the ASQ staff at gate 9 who identify you, give you a numbered badge to wear until to leave with your ASQ hotel staff.  Your baggage will be drenched in disinfectant prior to being placed in the van and also on arrival at the ASQ.

At the ASQ your PCR and Fit to Fly documents are then thoroughly inspected by the ASQ hospital staff prior to you being shown to your room.

This maybe doesn't answer your question but should give you an idea of what I experienced nearly 2 weeks ago.

The reason they inspect your f2f and PCR test thoroughly at the ASQ is if your over the 72 hrs when you get to the hotel they will make you take a added one at your own expense, as soon as I was out the taxi I had a blood pressure band wrapped round by arm,  a clip wired to some machine on the end of my finger, and some sort of probe down by ear and I hadn't even had a sawatdee fuc##n khrap off them... and wait Till  you get your first PCR test , nigh on knuckle deep with the stick.felt abused..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My experience was different. I arrived at the hotel 75 hours after my PCR test result. No further PCR test on arrival, only BP, clip on the finger and temp taken. My ASQ and medical staff have been very cheerful and welcoming. My 1st and 2nd covid tests were normal albeit a bit ticklish with the nasal swab.

Edited by Farma

On 1/19/2021 at 5:40 AM, 10years said:

While I can see why airport staff will cross check your ASQ booking with their list, I don’t understand why they need to scrutinize your other papers.

How can you see all these, but you can not see if you will be rejected !!!  ????

20 hours ago, 10years said:

I'm curious about people's recent experiences at passport control (immigration). Do they get stamped in automatically? Has anyone been questioned, like why are they coming to Thailand, are they working (illegally) in Thailand, etc? Do the IOs flip through the back pages of your passport or study your history on their computer screens like they used to do in the past?

I wonder the same.. Would be very unsettling to be denied entry because of too many tourist visas after all the hoops we have to go through.. 

The MD/Laboratory that is supposed to issue my PCR-test for 8000 baht wants another 2k for a Fit to Fly. I'm thinking of using "Donna" (the british md) via Skype. However, my biggest concern is how do immigration feel about a B/W printed paper? It will not be in hardback original and it will not be in color. 

Your thought guys? 

32 minutes ago, Russel said:

I couldn't find yet who issues Covid test and FTF in two separate files, all those I have contracted pharmacies clinics and so on, release them in a single file. 

Surely, once you print the file, the test result and fit to fly confirmation will be on separate sheets of paper.

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you asked them to provide it on two separate documents did the clinics refuse ?

Well I didn't ask it directly, but according their web sites they release the two certificate in a single file Nevertheless I know that who showed up with a single certificate hasn't meet any problem But I would prefer to not take a chance

5 hours ago, Russel said:

Well I didn't ask it directly, but according their web sites they release the two certificate in a single file Nevertheless I know that who showed up with a single certificate hasn't meet any problem But I would prefer to not take a chance

If the words fit to fly arnt printed anywhere on the certificate, your going to be in for a stressful time.happened  a friend of mine and they wouldn't let him on the plane till he phoned the clinic and they sent the altered email to him.

7 hours ago, lanng khao said:

If the words fit to fly arnt printed anywhere on the certificate, your going to be in for a stressful time.happened  a friend of mine and they wouldn't let him on the plane till he phoned the clinic and they sent the altered email to him.

FTF is automatically mentioned  in the covid test result certificate, probably your friend didn't required the FTF when booking the test

1 minute ago, Russel said:

FTF is automatically mentioned  in the covid test result certificate, probably your friend didn't required the FTF when booking the test

Two separate documents. There was a report of a person having problems because the Dr put "fit to travel" on the fit to fly document.

18 hours ago, Russel said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you asked them to provide it on two separate documents did the clinics refuse ?

Well that resolves that then.... Ask for the the clinic to provide two documents: A Covid-19 Negative Certificate and a separate Fit to Fly certificate - Job done !