Your opinion on current alcohol situation

Sambora

Hello,

As we probably all know, various bars/restaurants currently serve alcoholic beverages in disguise... what is your own opinion on this? Recently, friends of mine asked me to visit these places, however, I did not join, primarily because I am not sure about any (legal) consequences in case I do get caught. I know, it is probably not going to happen, but then again, we all know how quickly murphy's law can strike!

On the one hand, I feel that the current alcohol ban is a little over the top, but on the other hand, I want to play my part and follow rules. 

Just wondering how you think about this.

Regards,

Sambora

• Like 2

I had absolutely no issues drinking beer from big ceramic coffee mugs in my favorite Pattaya bar during an election shut-in.

It used to be the same after 2 A.M. at a certain all-hours Chinese buffet restaurant in the west side of Houston except you ordered 'special tea' and it came in a kettle. Even the cops would come to eat there.

During last years' lock-down,  three of us used to meet at my mate's workshop at his house. All socially distanced of course. The middle bar stool was a tad busy though as it was right next to the fridge.

• Haha 2

We are all governed by the lowest common denominator,

that is the major problem in that whilst you & I can go out & have a drink or two in our local, being aware of social distancing there are unfortunately those that have to imbibe too much & want to start whispering secrets directly into your ear at close range & the animals that need that 10th pint

or be a man & finish the bottle of whiskey  before becoming a bloody nuisance

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

From the restaurants' point of view, the margins on booze are high, and the cost of service low. The demand is also high, and the penalties low. The chances of a complaint being made are, if they are sensible about their choice of customers, low. On balance, what rational reason is there to not look after the regular punters? ...with suitable camouflage, of course.

• Like 2

"...various bars/restaurants currently serve alcoholic beverages in disguise...Recently, friends of mine asked me to visit these places, however, I did not join, primarily because I am not sure about any (legal) consequences in case I do get caught...

Regards,

Sambora"

Smart man.  You don't want to be a farang singing "cuz I'm wanted dead or alive" in Thailand. 

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2021 at 3:27 AM, Sambora said:

Recently, friends of mine asked me to visit these places, however, I did not join, primarily because I am not sure about any (legal) consequences in case I do get caught.

Some may mock your caution but, never forget, Thailand does have a death penalty.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I bought a bar table from Index Living Mall. My Xmas present. It works well for both coffee in the morning and drinks at night as it is in the rec room/view room.

Alcohol situation ... Looks good, a fine stock of whiskey & rhums, although I could use a few more bottles of Jameson heading into the burning season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5633572526 said:

Could you please provide evidence of anyone being sentenced to death for drinking a beer

Yes, I will compile the relevant documents and give them to your mother tonight.

• Haha 2

On 1/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, Sambora said:

Hello,

As we probably all know, various bars/restaurants currently serve alcoholic beverages in disguise... what is your own opinion on this? Recently, friends of mine asked me to visit these places, however, I did not join, primarily because I am not sure about any (legal) consequences in case I do get caught. I know, it is probably not going to happen, but then again, we all know how quickly murphy's law can strike!

On the one hand, I feel that the current alcohol ban is a little over the top, but on the other hand, I want to play my part and follow rules. 

Just wondering how you think about this.

Regards,

Sambora

I am sure it is not hard to get a membership of the "scared of your own shadow" brigade. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, smiggley said:

What is the difference of eating in a restaurant or eating and drinking in a restaurant?

Staying longer, drinking more, talking louder and generally endangering those with an infinitely greater sense of social responsibility?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

"...various bars/restaurants currently serve alcoholic beverages in disguise...Recently, friends of mine asked me to visit these places, however, I did not join, primarily because I am not sure about any (legal) consequences in case I do get caught...

Regards,

Sambora"

Smart man.  You don't want to be a farang singing "cuz I'm wanted dead or alive" in Thailand. 

Smart as in: dressed well???? 5555

Again a lot of narrow minded people out there. I am not saying to get blind drunk over a meal but I for 1 enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner as I am sure a lot of other people do as well, so again tell me what is the harm in that while dining in a restaurant?

6 hours ago, smiggley said:

Again a lot of narrow minded people out there. I am not saying to get blind drunk over a meal but I for 1 enjoy a nice glass of wine with dinner as I am sure a lot of other people do as well, so again tell me what is the harm in that while dining in a restaurant?

Because your "nice glass of wine" or my "crisp glass of cider" is someone else's (at least) half-a-dozen large Changs.