Jump to content

Annual Retirement Extension - Chiang Rai


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

  • Copy of my passport pages and the TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • Copy of my current 90 day report although I think that it was not needed.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

 

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

 

I then went to Chiang Rai Immigration, arriving at 9:30.  I received number 5.  At about 9:35 they started calling numbers.  They called 1,2 and 3 but only one person got up.  Since there was only 1 window open I wondered why they called 3 numbers.  I think numbers 1&2 were missing.  They use and reuse paper numbers and my number 5 was pretty well beat up.  At about 9:40 the first person was done.  Number 4 was called and again nobody got up.  My number 5 was called.  I went to the window and handed in my stack of papers.  The IO went through the bank statements and confirmed that I had my 12 monthly deposits.  She then got her stamp and proceeded to stamp every page.  The paper stack of paper was handed back to me and I had to sign every page.  After handing back the papers she collected my 1900 baht, gave me a receipt and took my picture.  I also had to sign another form which was in Thai.  Not sure what it was.  She told me to come back the next day to pick up my passport.  I was on my way home at 9:50.  The office in Chiang Rai is not the main office so they only collect and approve applications for extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays.  The final approval signature is done by an IO from Mae Sai.

 

As usual, I found the staff at Chiang Rai Immigration to be polite (almost friendly), professional and efficient.

 

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

Thanks for the report of a recent and personal experience.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

  • Copy of my passport pages and the TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • Copy of my current 90 day report although I think that it was not needed.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

 

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

 

I then went to Chiang Rai Immigration, arriving at 9:30.  I received number 5.  At about 9:35 they started calling numbers.  They called 1,2 and 3 but only one person got up.  Since there was only 1 window open I wondered why they called 3 numbers.  I think numbers 1&2 were missing.  They use and reuse paper numbers and my number 5 was pretty well beat up.  At about 9:40 the first person was done.  Number 4 was called and again nobody got up.  My number 5 was called.  I went to the window and handed in my stack of papers.  The IO went through the bank statements and confirmed that I had my 12 monthly deposits.  She then got her stamp and proceeded to stamp every page.  The paper stack of paper was handed back to me and I had to sign every page.  After handing back the papers she collected my 1900 baht, gave me a receipt and took my picture.  I also had to sign another form which was in Thai.  Not sure what it was.  She told me to come back the next day to pick up my passport.  I was on my way home at 9:50.  The office in Chiang Rai is not the main office so they only collect and approve applications for extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays.  The final approval signature is done by an IO from Mae Sai.

 

As usual, I found the staff at Chiang Rai Immigration to be polite (almost friendly), professional and efficient.

 

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

Thanks for taking the time to post a positive report.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

  • Copy of my passport pages and the TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • Copy of my current 90 day report although I think that it was not needed.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

HI, thanks for the report. 

I made a copy of it, as it is a 'text-book' example of what is needed to meet the 1-year extension of stay requirements.

Note: Since you are using the monthly income transfer method to meet the financial requirements, and your monthly transferred income is +65K, you quite sensibly did opt for an extension for reason of retirement.  Applying for reason of marriage only requires monthly transfers of +40K, but in that case you would also need to provide evidence that your are still married to your Thai wife, and your application would involve the additional step of approval by divisional Immigration headquarters during the 'under consideration' period, and on top of that it might also invoke a 'house visit' by local immigration to check whether you are really living together with your wife at the address you notified to IO.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

HI, thanks for the report. 

I made a copy of it, as it is a 'text-book' example of what is needed to meet the 1-year extension of stay requirements.

Note: Since you are using the monthly income transfer method to meet the financial requirements, and your monthly transferred income is +65K, you quite sensibly did opt for an extension for reason of retirement.  Applying for reason of marriage only requires monthly transfers of +40K, but in that case you would also need to provide evidence that your are still married to your Thai wife, and your application would involve the additional step of approval by divisional Immigration headquarters during the 'under consideration' period, and on top of that it might also invoke a 'house visit' by local immigration to check whether you are really living together with your wife at the address you notified to IO.  

I’m glad I could you can use my list as an example.  I know you provide many people with information on how to navigate through immigration.  Thank you for all of the inaccurate information you provide.

 

My wife and I got married in the US.  We have not registered our marriage in Thailand and have no plans to do so.  Even if we did I would still go for the retirement extension since it is less work.

 

I have seen a number of people complaining about the constantly changing immigration requirements.  Here in Chiang Rai nothing has changed for a retirement extension.  The documents I provided this were updated versions of the documents I provided last year. Nothing more, nothing less,

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

  • Copy of my passport pages and the TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • Copy of my current 90 day report although I think that it was not needed.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

 

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

 

I then went to Chiang Rai Immigration, arriving at 9:30.  I received number 5.  At about 9:35 they started calling numbers.  They called 1,2 and 3 but only one person got up.  Since there was only 1 window open I wondered why they called 3 numbers.  I think numbers 1&2 were missing.  They use and reuse paper numbers and my number 5 was pretty well beat up.  At about 9:40 the first person was done.  Number 4 was called and again nobody got up.  My number 5 was called.  I went to the window and handed in my stack of papers.  The IO went through the bank statements and confirmed that I had my 12 monthly deposits.  She then got her stamp and proceeded to stamp every page.  The paper stack of paper was handed back to me and I had to sign every page.  After handing back the papers she collected my 1900 baht, gave me a receipt and took my picture.  I also had to sign another form which was in Thai.  Not sure what it was.  She told me to come back the next day to pick up my passport.  I was on my way home at 9:50.  The office in Chiang Rai is not the main office so they only collect and approve applications for extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays.  The final approval signature is done by an IO from Mae Sai.

 

As usual, I found the staff at Chiang Rai Immigration to be polite (almost friendly), professional and efficient.

 

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

Since the Chiang Rai Immigration Office is also responsible for me, I thank you for the information.

In Bangkok, Immigration also needs a confirmation of income (pension notification) or confirmation from the embassy about the monthly income.

 

Didn't Chiang Rai Immigration ask for it?

 

 

Quota Immigration website Bangkok:
Incase of Income, provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular monthly deposit of 65,000 Thai Baht into a Thai bank account and a certified bankletter by your Embassy in Thailand

 

Thank you, Ken

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought that a document regarding the source of the income being transfed has to be included?

It is at the discretion of the Immigration officer handling your application whether he requests you to provide evidence of the source of the monthly foreign income transfers.

Since it was not his first extension of stay application and considering that he meticulously prepared his application and the required documents, the Immigration officer probably did not find it relevant to ask for it (or maybe in Chiang-Rai that particular aspect is not commonly checked).

But indeed the officer has the authority to also request evidence of the source of the foreign income, so it would be wise to have that evidence available (e.g. a statement issued by your pension provider) in case it is asked.

On top of that the requirements also foresee that the Immigration officer can ask 'for any additional evidence which he deems necessary to evaluate the application'.  Obviously it is impossible to prepare for that one, but it could be some evidence of your living expenses when the bank evidence is not aligned with your life-style appearance.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

>Statman78  Your post has come at the best possible time for me.  After many years of extensions in Chiang Rai based on retirement using the 800,000 Baht method I am going to change to the monthly deposit method in about two weeks.  I have been making those deposits for 15 months straight now.  Your concise and complete summary and no "surprises" at the Chiang Rai office has reduced my stress level.  Thank You!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikom56 said:

Since the Chiang Rai Immigration Office is also responsible for me, I thank you for the information.

In Bangkok, Immigration also needs a confirmation of income (pension notification) or confirmation from the embassy about the monthly income.

 

Didn't Chiang Rai Immigration ask for it?

 

 

Quota Immigration website Bangkok:
Incase of Income, provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular monthly deposit of 65,000 Thai Baht into a Thai bank account and a certified bankletter by your Embassy in Thailand

 

Thank you, Ken

In Chiang Rai I only needed the 12 month statement from my bank showing 12 monthly foreign transfers of at least 65,000 baht.  Beign an American I do not get any certified document from my embassy.  The IO did not ask for any document showing where my income comes from.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mojaco said:

>Statman78  Your post has come at the best possible time for me.  After many years of extensions in Chiang Rai based on retirement using the 800,000 Baht method I am going to change to the monthly deposit method in about two weeks.  I have been making those deposits for 15 months straight now.  Your concise and complete summary and no "surprises" at the Chiang Rai office has reduced my stress level.  Thank You!

Good luck!  In all my interactions with Chiang Rai Immigration I've never had any issues.  I think everything will go smoothly

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hi OJAS,

 

The 2 documents you show came with the application and had to be submitted.  There was another document all in Thai that I had to sign which I was told is similar to the overstay document.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought that a document regarding the source of the income being transfed has to be included?

Peter Denis answered your question.  He is very knowledgeable.  The first year I used 800,000 baht in the bank.  In the 3 years after that I always used the income method.  I've never been asked to show the source of my income.  Just in case they do ask I have a letter that shows my monthly Social Security payment and I take a printout of all my retirement accounts.  I don't show the IO any of this and I've never been asked for any of this information.  

 

I feel lucky that I work with an office that follows the rules.  It also helps that the people working in the office are the same people that I have been dealing with over the past few years.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...