Annual Retirement Extension - Chiang Rai

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

• Copy of my passport pages and the TM6 arrival/departure card
  • Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • Copy of my current 90 day report although I think that it was not needed.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

I then went to Chiang Rai Immigration, arriving at 9:30.  I received number 5.  At about 9:35 they started calling numbers.  They called 1,2 and 3 but only one person got up.  Since there was only 1 window open I wondered why they called 3 numbers.  I think numbers 1&2 were missing.  They use and reuse paper numbers and my number 5 was pretty well beat up.  At about 9:40 the first person was done.  Number 4 was called and again nobody got up.  My number 5 was called.  I went to the window and handed in my stack of papers.  The IO went through the bank statements and confirmed that I had my 12 monthly deposits.  She then got her stamp and proceeded to stamp every page.  The paper stack of paper was handed back to me and I had to sign every page.  After handing back the papers she collected my 1900 baht, gave me a receipt and took my picture.  I also had to sign another form which was in Thai.  Not sure what it was.  She told me to come back the next day to pick up my passport.  I was on my way home at 9:50.  The office in Chiang Rai is not the main office so they only collect and approve applications for extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays.  The final approval signature is done by an IO from Mae Sai.

As usual, I found the staff at Chiang Rai Immigration to be polite (almost friendly), professional and efficient.

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

21 hours ago, statman78 said:

Here is my experience in doing my annual extension of stay based on retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration.  My extension is based on my original Non-Imm-O Visa.  Usually my wife goes with me and I'm just there for the picture they take.  I've never had any issues.  This year I decided to see if there was any difference in service if I went alone.  Here are the documents I prepared:

• Copy of both bank books.  I have only 1 account but the first book was full and I needed a second.  On the copies I highlighted the monthly transfers from the US since I use the income method.
  • Original 1 year bank statement with monthly transfers from the US highlighted.  I ordered the statement about 10 days early from Bangkok bank since it takes about 1 week to get.
  • A letter from my bank stating that my account was still open and what my current balance is.  
  • Copy of the house registration and my wife's ID card since she is listed on the house registration.  On the copy she wrote that I live at that we are married and that I live with her at that address.  She also signed and dated the copy.
  • The original TM.7 application.  Attached to the application is a Terms and Conditions form (STM.2) and a form stating that I acknowledge the penalties for overstay.

Yesterday morning (18 January) I went to the bank, updated my bankbook and got the letter stating that my account is open and what the current balance was.

I then went to Chiang Rai Immigration, arriving at 9:30.  I received number 5.  At about 9:35 they started calling numbers.  They called 1,2 and 3 but only one person got up.  Since there was only 1 window open I wondered why they called 3 numbers.  I think numbers 1&2 were missing.  They use and reuse paper numbers and my number 5 was pretty well beat up.  At about 9:40 the first person was done.  Number 4 was called and again nobody got up.  My number 5 was called.  I went to the window and handed in my stack of papers.  The IO went through the bank statements and confirmed that I had my 12 monthly deposits.  She then got her stamp and proceeded to stamp every page.  The paper stack of paper was handed back to me and I had to sign every page.  After handing back the papers she collected my 1900 baht, gave me a receipt and took my picture.  I also had to sign another form which was in Thai.  Not sure what it was.  She told me to come back the next day to pick up my passport.  I was on my way home at 9:50.  The office in Chiang Rai is not the main office so they only collect and approve applications for extensions on Mondays and Wednesdays.  The final approval signature is done by an IO from Mae Sai.

As usual, I found the staff at Chiang Rai Immigration to be polite (almost friendly), professional and efficient.

This morning I went back and picked up my passport and I'm good for another year.

Thanks for the report of a recent and personal experience.

21 hours ago, statman78 said:

Thanks for taking the time to post a positive report.

22 hours ago, statman78 said:

HI, thanks for the report. 

I made a copy of it, as it is a 'text-book' example of what is needed to meet the 1-year extension of stay requirements.

Note: Since you are using the monthly income transfer method to meet the financial requirements, and your monthly transferred income is +65K, you quite sensibly did opt for an extension for reason of retirement.  Applying for reason of marriage only requires monthly transfers of +40K, but in that case you would also need to provide evidence that your are still married to your Thai wife, and your application would involve the additional step of approval by divisional Immigration headquarters during the 'under consideration' period, and on top of that it might also invoke a 'house visit' by local immigration to check whether you are really living together with your wife at the address you notified to IO.  

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

HI, thanks for the report. 

I made a copy of it, as it is a 'text-book' example of what is needed to meet the 1-year extension of stay requirements.

Note: Since you are using the monthly income transfer method to meet the financial requirements, and your monthly transferred income is +65K, you quite sensibly did opt for an extension for reason of retirement.  Applying for reason of marriage only requires monthly transfers of +40K, but in that case you would also need to provide evidence that your are still married to your Thai wife, and your application would involve the additional step of approval by divisional Immigration headquarters during the 'under consideration' period, and on top of that it might also invoke a 'house visit' by local immigration to check whether you are really living together with your wife at the address you notified to IO.  

I’m glad I could you can use my list as an example.  I know you provide many people with information on how to navigate through immigration.  Thank you for all of the inaccurate information you provide.

My wife and I got married in the US.  We have not registered our marriage in Thailand and have no plans to do so.  Even if we did I would still go for the retirement extension since it is less work.

I have seen a number of people complaining about the constantly changing immigration requirements.  Here in Chiang Rai nothing has changed for a retirement extension.  The documents I provided this were updated versions of the documents I provided last year. Nothing more, nothing less,

23 hours ago, statman78 said:

Since the Chiang Rai Immigration Office is also responsible for me, I thank you for the information.

In Bangkok, Immigration also needs a confirmation of income (pension notification) or confirmation from the embassy about the monthly income.

Didn't Chiang Rai Immigration ask for it?

Quota Immigration website Bangkok:
Incase of Income, provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular monthly deposit of 65,000 Thai Baht into a Thai bank account and a certified bankletter by your Embassy in Thailand

Thank you, Ken

27 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought that a document regarding the source of the income being transfed has to be included?

It is at the discretion of the Immigration officer handling your application whether he requests you to provide evidence of the source of the monthly foreign income transfers.

Since it was not his first extension of stay application and considering that he meticulously prepared his application and the required documents, the Immigration officer probably did not find it relevant to ask for it (or maybe in Chiang-Rai that particular aspect is not commonly checked).

But indeed the officer has the authority to also request evidence of the source of the foreign income, so it would be wise to have that evidence available (e.g. a statement issued by your pension provider) in case it is asked.

On top of that the requirements also foresee that the Immigration officer can ask 'for any additional evidence which he deems necessary to evaluate the application'.  Obviously it is impossible to prepare for that one, but it could be some evidence of your living expenses when the bank evidence is not aligned with your life-style appearance.

>Statman78  Your post has come at the best possible time for me.  After many years of extensions in Chiang Rai based on retirement using the 800,000 Baht method I am going to change to the monthly deposit method in about two weeks.  I have been making those deposits for 15 months straight now.  Your concise and complete summary and no "surprises" at the Chiang Rai office has reduced my stress level.  Thank You!

3 hours ago, nikom56 said:

Since the Chiang Rai Immigration Office is also responsible for me, I thank you for the information.

In Bangkok, Immigration also needs a confirmation of income (pension notification) or confirmation from the embassy about the monthly income.

Didn't Chiang Rai Immigration ask for it?

Quota Immigration website Bangkok:
Incase of Income, provide a 12-month bank statement showing a regular monthly deposit of 65,000 Thai Baht into a Thai bank account and a certified bankletter by your Embassy in Thailand

Thank you, Ken

In Chiang Rai I only needed the 12 month statement from my bank showing 12 monthly foreign transfers of at least 65,000 baht.  Beign an American I do not get any certified document from my embassy.  The IO did not ask for any document showing where my income comes from.

17 minutes ago, mojaco said:

>Statman78  Your post has come at the best possible time for me.  After many years of extensions in Chiang Rai based on retirement using the 800,000 Baht method I am going to change to the monthly deposit method in about two weeks.  I have been making those deposits for 15 months straight now.  Your concise and complete summary and no "surprises" at the Chiang Rai office has reduced my stress level.  Thank You!

Good luck!  In all my interactions with Chiang Rai Immigration I've never had any issues.  I think everything will go smoothly

57 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hi OJAS,

The 2 documents you show came with the application and had to be submitted.  There was another document all in Thai that I had to sign which I was told is similar to the overstay document.

2 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I thought that a document regarding the source of the income being transfed has to be included?

Peter Denis answered your question.  He is very knowledgeable.  The first year I used 800,000 baht in the bank.  In the 3 years after that I always used the income method.  I've never been asked to show the source of my income.  Just in case they do ask I have a letter that shows my monthly Social Security payment and I take a printout of all my retirement accounts.  I don't show the IO any of this and I've never been asked for any of this information.  

I feel lucky that I work with an office that follows the rules.  It also helps that the people working in the office are the same people that I have been dealing with over the past few years.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, statman78 said:

In Chiang Rai I only needed the 12 month statement from my bank showing 12 monthly foreign transfers of at least 65,000 baht.  Beign an American I do not get any certified document from my embassy.  The IO did not ask for any document showing where my income comes from.

Thank you.  I hope I am as lucky as you were

• 2 weeks later...

Today I completed my extension for Retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration office in the city of Chiang Rai.  Everything was very straight-forward per the details the OP recorded for his extension.  In my case I had been on 800K in the bank method and was changing to monthly 65K system.  So I had two bank books, one Fixed Account with the 800K and another one my Chiang Rai Savings Account showing the past 12 months of Foreign Transfers over 65K each (coded FTT by using TransferWise to Bangkok Bank).  For the monthly account I also got a 2 year Bank Statement showing more than 12 months of Foreign Transfers, just to be safe.  Some other Immigration offices seem to want 13 months of transfers, but the OP got his extension with just 12 transfers on a 1-year Statement.

I was told following the extension that I could now use the 800K as I wished as I was now on the 65K monthly system.  There was nothing in writing stating that so I will just have to hope I don't have a problem next year when the 800K is no longer available.

As always, the Immigration Officers are pleasant enough (or at least just business-like) in this office, and there have not been any surprises in the past there.  They did not ask for proof of "pension" source for the funds as some offices ask for, although I was prepared should that be asked for.

The extension process was completed in the morning but I needed to wait until the afternoon to get my Passport back (perhaps the main officer was not available to sign in the morning?)

1 hour ago, mojaco said:

Today I completed my extension for Retirement at the Chiang Rai Immigration office in the city of Chiang Rai.  Everything was very straight-forward per the details the OP recorded for his extension.  In my case I had been on 800K in the bank method and was changing to monthly 65K system.  So I had two bank books, one Fixed Account with the 800K and another one my Chiang Rai Savings Account showing the past 12 months of Foreign Transfers over 65K each (coded FTT by using TransferWise to Bangkok Bank).  For the monthly account I also got a 2 year Bank Statement showing more than 12 months of Foreign Transfers, just to be safe.  Some other Immigration offices seem to want 13 months of transfers, but the OP got his extension with just 12 transfers on a 1-year Statement.

I was told following the extension that I could now use the 800K as I wished as I was now on the 65K monthly system.  There was nothing in writing stating that so I will just have to hope I don't have a problem next year when the 800K is no longer available.

As always, the Immigration Officers are pleasant enough (or at least just business-like) in this office, and there have not been any surprises in the past there.  They did not ask for proof of "pension" source for the funds as some offices ask for, although I was prepared should that be asked for.

The extension process was completed in the morning but I needed to wait until the afternoon to get my Passport back (perhaps the main officer was not available to sign in the morning?)

Thanks for the report!

I did my Non-Imm "O" retirement extension today at Chaeng Wattana based on monthly transfers.  I made an appointment online yesterday for today at 10 AM and got an email confirmation a few hours later.  The documents I presented were:

passport

bank book

copy of every page in bank book

copy of passport with name page and all the pages since my first retirement extension a few years ago

letter from Bangkok Bank confirming account balance as of today, obtained from BBK Bank at Chaeng Wattana today

statement from Bangkok Bank, CW branch, covering transactions for a trailing 60 days

statement from Bangkok Bank covering transaction in the period 1/1/2020 until last Wednesday obtained from my home branch last week

letter from Bangkok Bank listing each foreign transfer for the period 1/1/2020 until last Wednesday, prepared from statement above, showing monthly transfers greater than 65k baht for each month

TM7 with photo taken today pasted on

hand drawn map to my condominium

I presented my appointment confirmation at the indicated counter at 10 AM and the officer took my documents.  She made two complete copies of all the pages in my bankbook and made me sign every one of them.  Signed passport copies, receipt of information copies, etc.  Whole process took about 40 minutes.  

Getting the documents from Bangkok Bank this morning took about 30 minutes.

Seats at Chaeng Wattana were about half empty.

Archived