Government Disinfectant Tunnel - Do As I Say, Not As I Do

Thomas J

I had to go to the land office in Chonburi and before entering the building you had to walk through a disinfectant tunnel that misted you with disinfectant to prevent the spread of Covid.  You were also then greeted with a person who took your temperature and had you apply disinfectant to your hands.  However once inside the office was stacked with waiting room chairs, shoulder to shoulder.   So the government tells business owners such as bars, restaurants, hair dressers etc they either can't be open of it they are people have to be spread apart, but in their own waiting rooms it is ok to have people sitting literally right next to each other. 

139595715_2926573300956045_3102300469834980949_n.jpg

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, natway09 said:

The tunnel is not a bad idea though, you must admit, but agree, someone already infected would  not make any difference at all & they would still be a carrier. I certainly hope you still had to register, if not it is a joke

No you still had to register.  I just found it hypocritical that other establishments are force to close because they can not social distance sufficiently yet we literally were shoulder to shoulder inside the waiting area.  Yes we went through the misting tunnel.  However we still could have had Covid but no temperature and now were right next to numerous people. 

Hey, it could be worse.  They could have painted the entire tunnel with scenes of Buddhist Hell including pictures of what happens if you fail to use masks (held down by demons who pour molten lead down your throat, or fail to social distance (implaled on pikes set in the ground two meters from the rest of the impalees.)  You know, like a Thai amusement park ride while your being drenched in lord only knows what.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, Thomas J said:

I had to go to the land office in Chonburi and before entering the building you had to walk through a disinfectant tunnel that misted you with disinfectant to prevent the spread of Covid.  You were also then greeted with a person who took your temperature and had you apply disinfectant to your hands.  However once inside the office was stacked with waiting room chairs, shoulder to shoulder.   So the government tells business owners such as bars, restaurants, hair dressers etc they either can't be open of it they are people have to be spread apart, but in their own waiting rooms it is ok to have people sitting literally right next to each other. 

139595715_2926573300956045_3102300469834980949_n.jpg

All these things are just for doing without any particular use. Just like writing down the names and mobile numbers at the book of a shop or restaurant. Who will check or bother to check its accuracy ?  Inside a restaurant, even family members say 4 were told not to sit in the same table, why ?  They are from the same household and sit down together to eat at home.  This is ok and legal. Why they have to sit separately when they together at a restaurant ?  "Lack of common sense disease" catched from whom ?  

1 hour ago, supertomdee said:

All these things are just for doing without any particular use. Just like writing down the names and mobile numbers at the book of a shop or restaurant. Who will check or bother to check its accuracy ?  Inside a restaurant, even family members say 4 were told not to sit in the same table, why ?  They are from the same household and sit down together to eat at home.  This is ok and legal. Why they have to sit separately when they together at a restaurant ?  "Lack of common sense disease" catched from whom ?  

Many years ago I was working for a major bank that was encountering financial problems because of the oil price decline in Texas.  The bank came out with a statement of the actions it was going to take.  I was talking to a man in our investment area and I said, Phil, these actions do nothing to address the problem.  He laughed and said, Tom most actions are intended to create the illusion of progress.  I think this is the case with the Coronavirus.  The media has hyped it to the point where the government feels compelled to implement rules to show it is addressing the problem even if those actions do absolutely nothing.  

Consider, it is ok to be shoulder to shoulder at Makro but not in a restaurant.  It is ok to drink a soft drink at a restaurant but not a beer.  At one point there was a curfew you could not be out past.  I guess Covid spreads more after curfew.  All of this points to how ludicrous the rules are.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Consider, it is ok to be shoulder to shoulder at Makro but not in a restaurant.  It is ok to drink a soft drink at a restaurant but not a beer.  At one point there was a curfew you could not be out past.  I guess Covid spreads more after curfew.  All of this points to how ludicrous the rules are.   

At MAKRO you're wearing a mask. Difficult to eat at a restaurant that way.

Considering their effect on one's health, it may be foolish to drink soft drinks but they won't make you behave foolishly after you drink them. Unlike beer.

21 hours ago, placeholder said:

At MAKRO you're wearing a mask. Difficult to eat at a restaurant that way.

Considering their effect on one's health, it may be foolish to drink soft drinks but they won't make you behave foolishly after you drink them. Unlike beer.

You seem to be of the impression that somehow a mask creates an impenetrable barrier preventing the spread of Covid. While masks are “helpful” they are far from creating a wall though which Covid can't escape through or be inhaled through. One Danish study showed that the use of masks provided something less than 50% better protection than no mask at all. Even if the figure is 70% common sense would tell you that you are far safer sitting at a restaurant table 2 meters away from someone not wearing a mask than you are standing shoulder to shoulder to people in Makro or worse yet packed in chairs in an enclosed government office with people sitting in rows next to, in front of, and behind you. That is particularly true if the restaurant is outdoors with fresh air dissipating any virus and during the day sunshine killing it.

I have seen you repeatedly post with absolute certainty that if drinking were allowed at restaurants that the patrons would become drunk, and “act foolishly” There certainly are no studies to back up that premise. I know I have dined at restaurants serving alcohol for over 6 decades and never have I had even a single instance where a patron became drunk, rude, obnoxious, and my table was confronted by their presence. I have been in Thailand for 3 years and not witnessed such behavior before Covid so I have no reason to think suddenly such behavior would exist.

Since you speak with such 100% certainly of that happening I can only assume that your are either clairvoyant or that you have repeatedly witnessed such behavior at places you dine at. If that is the case, I might suggest you change the class of restaurants since where you dine at obviously appeal to a class of drunken boorish, classless, uncouth louts.  Your other choice is stay home and not expose yourself.  
image.png.f434bb5300e958699492c9412f41cec7.png
https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4586/rr-6

Edited by Thomas J