Strange call from dentist's office

Andy from Kent

I have an appointment tomorrow to get fitted for a night guard.    As per usual I got a call today reminding me of the appointment.
I was happy to be able to tell the caller that I reaffirm I do not want any filling for striations on some  molars as  I rethought how I’ve been asked about them for 40 plus years now.  Before they become an issue I suspect I’ll die.   I tend to think because I was so agreeable  about work on the Missus’s teeth she may have been upselling me a bit.   I don’t fault her.

Anyway,  the caller wanted me to be sure I understand there’s now a premium of 300 THB charged for all visits because of the COVID-19.    I kind of laughed to my self and was chuckling when I asked the caller how 300 bath helps the dentist stay healthy

The caller laughed as well and it’s just one of those things.     Take it or leave it.    TIT.

during the pandemic, my dentist had to put on a whole body suit -- I doubt he charged for that... and at the prices I am charged for excellent dental care, absolutely no 'up-selling' - I am thrilled at the prices and fairness here... I even hit the tip jar for the receptionist on the way out...

that is not my custom back home, but, there is this jar and a chance to offer a small reward to everyone there.. 

ps - at least they were considerate enuf to call beforehand and alert you... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne

1 hour ago, tonray said:

It's a fee for extra sterilzation and cleaning procedures. Some items which may have been sterilized and reused now may be discarded, add to the costs of treatment.

Yes. My dentist has new air filtration and everything is covered in plastic and him too. The charge also covers the PPE cost.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

My daughter has been seeing a dentist in Surin since Nov 2019, for monthly adjustments to her braces. There have been no add-on fees. Perhaps the OP's dentist is taking advantage of dual pricing. 

Or the OP's dentist is located in one of the 28 provinces which have seen new COVID cases and are designated "highly controlled" whereas Surin is not

He'll see when he goes whether special measures with cost implications (air filtration, PPE) is in use or not