Change to the 90 day report process at Nonthaburi - not happy!

Okay so here goes my little gripe... it's not major but has quadrupled my waiting time at immigration from 10 - 15 mins to aprox 1 hour and it seems completely pointless. Just wondering if this is the same everywhere or only Nonthaburi?

I use Nonthaburi Immigration. Its a small building and the 90 day report used to take about 10 minutes. The process was very simple: get a ticket - wait for your turn - provide passport to officer, get a stamp/ paper - finished. Time taken 10 - 15 minutes.

So now the process goes as follows: get a ticket - wait for your turn - provide passport to officer - leave passport with officer and take a seat - watch officer continue to see more people and collect their passports in a nice little pile on his/her desk - then see pile of passports moved to the back office and presumably sit on supervisors desk for about 30 minutes - pile of passports come back out and handed back (with stamp/paper) - finished. Time taken aprox 1 hour.

So, has anyone else experienced the same or is it just good old Nonthaburi that has decided to create a system that takes 4 to 5 times longer than the previous one!!??

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It appears your time is of no consequence to them... sadly I have seen a lot of examples of that from the bank to car service centres and on.

About 20 years ago at the beginning of my time in Thailand, it quickly became apparent that time and efficiency are of no consequence here. Suppose it's because labour is plentiful and cheap.

20 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Have you tried doing the 90 day report online?

I've never really had much faith in anything online where immigration is concerned... maybe I need to reassess this. Do you have any advice/comments about using the online reporting?

Thanks in advance!

Last time I did 90 day report in person at Khon Kaen I forgot to use the stopwatch.

Was it 60s, 90s or 120s?

After online reporting now seems possible for me too I will of course try that.

(I worked until 2017 for me)

online TM47 is great when it works. i was able to report online 4 consecutive times (around 13 months). on my 5th report (early october last year), it just stopped working. so i called IO and i was told to report in person. in and out in 30 minutes without appointment. out of curiosity, i tried the app several days later. good thing i did because i finally found the reason i couldn't report online - the app said i'm on overstay.

90 days hence, i tried reporting online again - to no avail. app still reporting i'm on overstay. off i went to muangthong thani again and showed the "overstay" screenshot. officer explained that the database migration/update from the previous (PIBICS) to the current (Biometric-something) systems is still incomplete, and that i'll need to contact chaengwattana IO to resolve my "overstay".

the hub of hoops

2 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

I've never really had much faith in anything online where immigration is concerned... maybe I need to reassess this. Do you have any advice/comments about using the online reporting?

Thanks in advance!

Have you considered using the snail mail method for your 90-day reports?

I've been using Nonthabhuri immigration for about 5 years now. Sometimes the process is reasonably quick, sometimes the same process is slow. I presume the number of people in the 'queue' regardless of which service they require and also the time of day.  The process you describe is exactly the situation I had a month ago and took 15 minutes.

So I guess you were unlucky.

To me it's a bit like going into hospital. No one wants to experience it but as long as you come out unscathed and alive then I consider that a win.

2 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Thanks in advance!

Fill out everything with an asterisk next to it and always, always use the drop-down menus if there is one (small square icon to the right of the question).

Best use an IE browser, or a simulated IE browser on whichever one you use.

Here is the link I use.

https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do?cmd=acceptTerm

After designating that you want to apply for the 90 day report, scroll down to the bottom and tick the box saying you understand the content.

Not all immigration offices use the online feature, so, cross your fingers that yours does.

23 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

So now the process goes as follows: get a ticket - wait for your turn - provide passport to officer - leave passport with officer and take a seat - watch officer continue to see more people and collect their passports in a nice little pile on his/her desk - then see pile of passports moved to the back office and presumably sit on supervisors desk for about 30 minutes - pile of passports come back out and handed back (with stamp/paper) - finished. Time taken aprox 1 hour.

This is remarkably similar to how the system used to work in Jomtien to get a re-entry permit until a year or two ago.

Get a ticket, wait a few minutes until you're called, pay the money while the IO stamps the permit in your passport, then instead of getting your passport back and leaving, you were told to sit down again and wait. All the passports went into a pile on a desk at the back and you usually had to wait well over 30 minutes before some Immigration puyai bothered to have  a look at the stamped passports and then give them to an underling to distribute to the impatient waiting punters.

Completely unnecessary, but around two years ago the puyai at the back seemed to leave and the system became much faster. Maybe they got posted to Nonthaburi, lol?

The truth of it is they really don't give a t**s

I can recall many years ago before this military government, that a trip to Immigration was all light and laughter, a 1000 baht in the pasport was laughed off, as was a bottle of whiskey in a brown bag, with the comment, "No, we don't do that"

Often I used to see the second in command at the driving range, we were friendly.

Nowadays the hostility and contempt from them is threatening.

23 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Okay so here goes my little gripe... it's not major but has quadrupled my waiting time at immigration from 10 - 15 mins to aprox 1 hour and it seems completely pointless. Just wondering if this is the same everywhere or only Nonthaburi?

I use Nonthaburi Immigration. Its a small building and the 90 day report used to take about 10 minutes. The process was very simple: get a ticket - wait for your turn - provide passport to officer, get a stamp/ paper - finished. Time taken 10 - 15 minutes.

So, has anyone else experienced the same or is it just good old Nonthaburi that has decided to create a system that takes 4 to 5 times longer than the previous one!!??

That is essentially the same thing that is occurring for the migrant workers for the 4 border countries as well.  They collect the passports and new report form as well as the old 90 day, give out a new que and then they are told to return a few hours later to pick up the passport with the new 90 day receipt when their que number is called.  Makes me wonder if they are just trying to maximize the time and have only one person doing the data entry in order to print out the new receipt or if they are running you through the data base to ensure the extension of stay is real instead of faked, and/or of course checking to see if you might have a warrant out and you are in need of being remanded into custody.  I did my first 90 day in Nonthaburi 2 years ago and I was in and out downstairs in the brand new building in 5 minutes.  Nothing is as it used to be unfortunately.

On 1/19/2021 at 4:23 PM, greenmonkey said:

Same at Jomtien Immigration Office last week! On top of that all the 90 day people waiting had to wait outside, chairs were provided!

On 1/19/2021 at 4:23 PM, greenmonkey said:

Same at Jomtien Immigration Office last week! On top of that all the 90 day people waiting had to wait outside, chairs were provided!

21 hours ago, greenmonkey said:

Yes, you definitely need to re-assess this. 

Using the TM-47 (90-day reporting) website is easy.

Here is the link > https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn90online/online/tm47/TM47Action.do

There is also an app but that seems to be more troublesome to use.

As I live +70 km from my local IO, doing those 90-day reports on-line saves me quite some time.  After you have done the first one on-line (would take you approx 1/2 hour, it being new and you have to input your details first time), your next ones are done in less than 5 minutes as the site remembers your previous inputs and the first letter of an input then pops up your previous input for that field.

There is much gripe on the Forum about on-line 90-day reporting as the system is sometimes down or 'refuses' your input, but I have never encountered any difficulties with it.

>> I did PM you two small text-files.  The first one being a step-by-step approach, starting from logging in to printing out the 'next appointment' notification.  The second one being a Trouble-shooting guide, addressing most of the 'errors' you might encounter and how to overcome them when using the on-line 90-day reporting website.

I would say > do give it a try, definitely worth avoiding a visit to your Imm Office especially as yours is Nonthaburi which kind of has a reputation as being one of the worst offices nationwide.

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Last time I did 90 day report in person at Khon Kaen I forgot to use the stopwatch.

Was it 60s, 90s or 120s?

After online reporting now seems possible for me too I will of course try that.

(I worked until 2017 for me)

Khon Kaen is great for 90 days.
I always take a number but never need it.

Wait a few minutes and one of the officers will call out "gao sip wun" and it is complete in a matter of seconds.

My province is doing about what you describe plus demanding a 100 baht bribe for each filing and will not accept the form otherwise (if report done in person).

online report is the way to go but glitches are common and can sometimes make it impossible.

Archived