'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

snoop1130

'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

By Rachael Dexter

b691aaef382eed97828d2ba338756f09610fa6d8.jpg

Justin Peck will have been in Thailand for one year on January 24.

An Australian man who has been stranded in Thailand for 10 months claims he has been abandoned by the federal government after it cancelled his ticket on a flight home this week and cut him off from further financial support.

Justin Peck, 41, originally from Melbourne, left his business job in Hong Kong in early 2020 and travelled to Bangkok for what should have been a short holiday.

When the pandemic struck and Thailand closed its borders in March, Mr Peck had no job and no way to get home.

Full Story: https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-gave-up-a-long-time-ago-australian-stranded-for-nearly-a-year-in-thailand-20210118-p56v2s.html

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

why no money?  If no money here, then no money in Australia? If no money here, why is he here? No family to send some on to him? 

The clue is in the short break that lasted a year like me ????

• Like 2

The flight out 17th got reduced in numbers 38 to 25, 13 put on 24th from 17th plus 12. Aus govt said increase repat flights, but embassy says no BKK extra. One message mentioned being available every week if your registered with smarttraveller to increase chances.

But I think it's time embassy handed out priority numbers like 15, ok next flight, or 150, in 6 weeks, give or take as people find alternatives to Aust. You get positive test, you'll be chasing a refund minus fees. In February hopefully Thailand eases, but who knows. I left Thailand late last Feb but came back to go to a wedding in Bali early April. Aus govt opened to access super if needed and maybe this guy could have done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

We sent one of our staff to NZ last July. There were several options for getting there all of them via Australia and none of them were particularly expensive.

I just searched my email and found the following;

BR 212 S 03JUL 5*BKKTPE DK1  1220 1710  03JUL  

BR 315 S 03JUL 5*TPEBNE DK1  2300 0950  04JUL  

NZ 152 W 04JUL 6 BNEAKL DK1  1740 2255  04JUL  

COST OF BR-TICKET 13900 BAHT INCLUDE TAX.

CHANGE DATE/FLIGHT CHARGE THB4000, BAGGAGE 30 KG.

COST OF NZ-TICKET 9700 BAHT INCLUDE TAX.

CHANGE DATE/FLIGHT NOT PERMITTED AND BAGGAGE 23 KG.

COST OF TOTAL = 13900+9700 = 23,600.-

CX 654 S 03JUL 5*BKKHKG DK1  1500 1900  03JUL 

CX 105 S 04JUL 6*HKGMEL DK1  0010 1110  04JUL 

NZ 124 W 04JUL 6 MELAKL DK1  1230 1805  04JUL 

COST OF AIR TICKET 13900 BAHT INCLUDE TAX.

CHANGE DATE/FLIGHT CHARGE THB3500 AND NON REFUND

COST OF AIR TICKET 9100 BAHT INCLUDE TAX.

CHANGE DATE/FLIGHT NOT PERMITTED AND NON REFUND

COST OF TOTAL = 13900+9100 = 23,000.-

The cost of EVA to Brisbane or Cathay to Melbourne were both THB13,900 (AUD600). Both of these flights operated. I heard from my colleague later that his flight to AUS was 3/4 empty.

Just another Covid media beat-up which is full of lies.

Going to NZ is different, Australia has imposed quarantine capacity limits. If they exceed the limit you can't board and you get a credit voucher. This doesn't apply to transit passengers.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

There are still (tens of) thousands of Australians trying to get back. Pitty this guy isn't a rich tennis player. Be there now. Being stranded since last March is interesting. 

That many? Where did you get that number from? What percent of tourists? There would have been 30-40-50K Australian tourists here at that time?