'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

snoop1130

15 hours ago, madmen said:

He has a social security umbrella in Australia including free medical. 

He has been banned from future assistance flights probably for registering on them and then pulling out last minute. The embassy have been very vocal on this and rightly so. 

He sounds like a total loser leaching off his GF at his age. 

I guess you didn't bother to read the full article. If you had you'd have known the reason why he was not able to board previous assistance flights. It was no fault of his own.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pilotman said:

There are far worse places to be 'stranded'.  Enjoy it mate. 

A bit hard to if you've got no money.

Way back in 1998 I vowed that I wouldn't stay in Thailand until money became a problem, or ran out completely, I left 20 years later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

I guess you didn't bother to read the full article. If you had you'd have known the reason why he was not able to board previous assistance flights. It was no fault of his own.

Of course it wasn't his fault (laugh), it never is with these people!   An acquaintance  of ours,  an Australian lady, got back weeks ago.  A few issues along the way for her, but with a bit of thought and positive action she made it.  She had the determination to get back home and a bit of common sense. This guy is still here because he has either decided to be here, or is too dumb to get a plan together to get home. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

I smell something fishy here. If he has no money, how did he survive in Thailand for one year? 

No friends or family to help him return back to Australia is also fishy. How did he fly to Hong Kong in the first place to do his 'business'?

Are you another one who did not read the article!? So many are quick to criticise on the basis of a tiny bit of knowledge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, happyaussie said:

I was in a very similar situation beginning early March. Booked and paid for 4 different flights over 6 months. Each was cancelled and I am still trying to get some refunded.

I finally returned to Australia in November aboard a repatriation flight organized by the Australian Embassy. 

I found the Australian Embassy in Bangkok very helpful. And trust me, that's a big call coming from me. I have a very low regard for Australian politics and politicians. 

In a nutshell, anyone saying they've been left stranded at this time should take responsibility for their actions. 

Just because you got home means everyone else should have too! There are about 37000 Australians stranded overseas and the Australian governments have only allowed a trickle in. The whole repatriation operation operates on shifting sands and changing conditions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spock said:

Are you another one who did not read the article!? So many are quick to criticise on the basis of a tiny bit of knowledge.

what do you need to know. he's here, been here a long time, says he wants to go home but can't (sic) which is BS, has no money (so why isn't he dead of starvation). He sounds a few sandwiches short of a picnic, even from this minimal report. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tandor said:

...agree..he's young, single, no ties (but sharing on a meagre salary of AU$10000 per month), with both feet in paradise...he is better off than a lot of us retirees here!

If its that urgent, he could, borrow the money, by a small yacht and island-hop his way home..what an adventure that would be!

Another person who does not pay attention to detail. You added a '0' to the GF's salary. She earns $1000 a month not $10000!

3 minutes ago, Spock said:

Just because you got home means everyone else should have too! There are about 37000 Australians stranded overseas and the Australian governments have only allowed a trickle in. The whole repatriation operation operates on shifting sands and changing conditions.

so you have to have a bit of gumption and  determination and stay on top of those shifting sands, not  just sit back and give up

Just now, Skeptic7 said:

Waa waa wah! Been locked outside of Thailand for nearly a year. House, GF, car, pets. We all got our problems and tales of woe. 

Nobody cares! Deal with it. 

Can't you at least get back in using the new long term visa?

17 hours ago, moouaan said:

If he really wanted to leave he could have left. There are lots of airlines that are flying to Australia, but he might have to do a few layovers to get out. There are flights leaving on 22 January if you use Google travel.

Please show me a flight BKK to Perth.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A spokesperson said it had helped more than 38,800 Australians fly home in the past year, including around 12,600 people on 91 government-facilitated flights.

I wonder how many of those were important business people and the most wealthy of applicants. My guess is an abnormal proportion.

No one cares if you can't flash the cash.

Another person of meager means trampled by the hard cold machine of human society.

SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE... !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

I smell something fishy here. If he has no money, how did he survive in Thailand for one year? 

No friends or family to help him return back to Australia is also fishy. How did he fly to Hong Kong in the first place to do his 'business'?

There are many who are barely surviving. I had no idea until I made a short trip to the North a few months ago. All the farang around me where I live in Korat are OK - older guys on retirement or married visas, they have Thai wives, have pensions, have homes and cars, and regardless of covid they are living the good life. But when I went to CM and Pai I saw younger backpacker types who have been stuck in Thailand since March, so many look destitute. I have no idea how they are managing, perhaps family members back in their home countries are sending money, perhaps Thais are helping them. But there are some sad cases out there. Plenty of people all around the world who are stuck in foreign countries unable to return to their homes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spock said:

Can't you at least get back in using the new long term visa?

Working on it. Always waiting on them. Denied first time last month. Took them 3 weeks to say NO, without explanation, but didn't matter cuz "Retirement Visa" & Re-entry Stamp were toast just a few days later.

Now waiting again for approval of Step 2 of the process. Step 1 insurance ($400 USD) APPROVED. Step 2 airline ticket ($800 one-way) and ASQ booking ($1500) last Monday and now 8 days later and counting without a peep. Waiting For Approval. If don't hear by next Monday...will have to cancel everything, at some monetary loss, and start anew for the 3rd time. 

Still need Fit to Fly ($50) and RT-PCR same day result ($200) which are scheduled for Tuesday. Flight departs Wednesday night from Atlanta and arrives BKK Friday. If it all falls into place...out of quarantine 13 Feb. Will be just 3 weeks shy of a year gone. Left 6 March to officially retire, after 35 years total of which the last 15 semi-retired. Intended to make last monthly commute and return FOREVER on 30 March last year.

Like I said, WHO CARES?!? Nobody at Thai Embassy Wash DC...that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Happyman567 said:

Honestly i cant see it improving this year  Maybe 2022 a chance Oh well I am Aussie and I am having a great time  No hurry to go home

Yes, I agree. I was optimistic that rapid mass vaccination would make a big impact and we could get on top of this virus in 2021, but so many are dragging their feet...in particular the two countries that effect me, Thailand and Australia. Neither seem to be particularly interested in cranking up mass vaccination programs. Morrison said vax will start in late Feb, but a couple days ago I heard Gladys B. say nothing's going to start until end of year. So maybe 2022. And no doubt in 12 months time from now we'll say "Maybe 2023" 

9 minutes ago, TSF said:

There are many who are barely surviving. I had no idea until I made a short trip to the North a few months ago. All the farang around me where I live in Korat are OK - older guys on retirement or married visas, they have Thai wives, have pensions, have homes and cars, and regardless of covid they are living the good life. But when I went to CM and Pai I saw younger backpacker types who have been stuck in Thailand since March, so many look destitute. I have no idea how they are managing, perhaps family members back in their home countries are sending money, perhaps Thais are helping them. But there are some sad cases out there. Plenty of people all around the world who are stuck in foreign countries unable to return to their homes.

Well, spending a lot of time in CM I have not seen many.  And Pai did not have many a few months back.

Have seen some standing in the free food lines at the Temples and some wandering around the old city.

You can get a room in CM or Pai for 100 b a night so they can get by on less than a few hundred bucks a month.

I don't find it sad at all.  Look Destitute? Generally that is a backpacker minimalist appearance anyway.

They probably don't want to go home as they may have to actually find a job.

Free food and $3 rooms they hope to stay for awhile I bet and probably what they want.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

He missed the golden chance to fly into Singapore.  The last thing he should be worried is to be stranded in Singapore.  It's a luxury to be stranded in Singapore.  Don't believe ?  Ask the hordes of Indian nationals who have been flocking to Singapore and contributing to the number of imported cases on a daily basis.

The next thing he should be worrying is the gf might find a new bf.   For many Thai girls, a farang bf is a trophy.  He should ensure that he continues to look like one.

Edited by thairookie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I smell something fishy here. If he has no money, how did he survive in Thailand for one year? ...

You didn't read the source article? He's living of the paltry earnings of his Thai girlfriend.

No friends or family to help him return back to Australia is also fishy. ...

Having no friends or relatives isn't unknown in Australia. I know a couple of friendless Aussies here in my corner of Isaan.

How did he fly to Hong Kong in the first place to do his 'business'?

I may be wrong but I think he caught a plane?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1