'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

snoop1130

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

Really? Australian citizens can return back to Australia the same method as how Thai return back to Thailand. 14 day quarantine and covid free cert before flight. So what's so difficult for a citizen?

https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/covid-19/covid-19/returning-australia

You cannot come to Australia unless you’re an Australian citizen, permanent resident or in an exempt category

Or a tennis player or cricket player the you are most welcome.

17 hours ago, moouaan said:

If he really wanted to leave he could have left. There are lots of airlines that are flying to Australia, but he might have to do a few layovers to get out. There are flights leaving on 22 January if you use Google travel.

Not sure he made all the right moves, but you cant just look online for flights

I have been there several times, as operating crew.

You cant just book a flight, it must be approved and the limiting factor from watching hours of Australian government proceedings while locked in my hotel room appears to availability of quarantine facilities. Aren't most of the Ministers managing the country  women? They are doing a great job!  

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, TSF said:

But when I went to CM and Pai I saw younger backpacker types who have been stuck in Thailand since March, so many look destitute.

That's just what Millenials look like ????

It is quite possible that the subjects of your pity are successfully working or running their own businesses online. Nothing about Mark Zuckerberg's hoody and grubby converse trainers suggests he is worth over $100 billion.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Australia appears to have become one of the toughest nations, when it comes to coming or leaving. Even a trip to the West Coast requires a 14 day quarantine. 

It's OK since we doing great against corona. The upside is most of Australia is not on curfew or lockdown especially where I am right now on the gold coast 

So ok he left his job & wanted a short break before heading home (Auss)

His idea of the Auss Gov spending 60,000 on tickets is insane

What they would of done is over booked the flights (let alone further restrictions ) incase people were unable to take the flight & due to Gov picking who comes or not

The last episode of him changing flight would have peed the Gov of as they also need to line these spots with quarantine/ect (also to enable Auss to have complete control)

Aussies are still wandering who runs the country Gov or the States 

They made a good commercial about Lamb - The united states of Australia, OH (Just Australia )

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes i agree with you, Thai women are great.... Well some of them are.

Money hungry, selfish emotionless, again so of them are, some are not.

Been there, done that, been married to both money hungry types, and the complete opposite type.

Thailand is an amazing country.

I know a real real somchai, who used to drop his real thai wife so she could make money. Wait outside the hotel until she finishes the job.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TSF said:

Please show me a flight BKK to Perth.

Ya din need a flight BKK to Perth.????For months last year you could have flown BKK to USA daily. Then you relax there for an indeterminate period of time while waiting for a repatriation flight , at you own expense. Most basic hotels in San Francisco are cheap now, just about $125 USD per night minimum.  Add $50 dollars for  food per person Might only be a few months. Then get to Sydney lock, down for two weeks for what $AUS 3000? Are you allowed to fly to Perth from Sydney then for another 2 week quarantine or do you have to buy/rent a house in Sydney?

See how easy it is? Every expat in Thailand???? is a Multi-Millionaire!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Ya din need a flight BKK to Perth.????For months last year you could have flown BKK to USA daily. Then you relax there for an indeterminate period of time while waiting for a repatriation flight , at you own expense. Most basic hotels in San Francisco are cheap now, just about $125 USD per night minimum.  Add $50 dollars for  food per person Might only be a few months. Then get to Sydney lock, down for two weeks for what $AUS 3000? Are you allowed to fly to Perth from Sydney then for another 2 week quarantine or do you have to buy/rent a house in Sydney?

See how easy it is? Every expat in Thailand???? is a Multi-Millionaire!

Yep, you sum it up well. While doing 2 weeks quarantine in Sydney for $aud4000, I'd apply for a permit to enter WA, flight Sydney to Perth, approx $aud600, and depending on the covid situation in NSW at the time, upon arrival in Perth could well be taken to another quarantine hotel for a further 2 weeks at another $aud4000. Fortunately, I'm quite comfortable here in Thailand and can wait it out. Just hope this pandemic doesn't drag on for years and years or I may well have to bite the bullet and go through all the hassle of finding my way back to Perth.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

By Rachael Dexter

b691aaef382eed97828d2ba338756f09610fa6d8.jpg

Justin Peck will have been in Thailand for one year on January 24.

An Australian man who has been stranded in Thailand for 10 months claims he has been abandoned by the federal government after it cancelled his ticket on a flight home this week and cut him off from further financial support.

Justin Peck, 41, originally from Melbourne, left his business job in Hong Kong in early 2020 and travelled to Bangkok for what should have been a short holiday.

When the pandemic struck and Thailand closed its borders in March, Mr Peck had no job and no way to get home.

Full Story: https://www.smh.com.au/national/i-gave-up-a-long-time-ago-australian-stranded-for-nearly-a-year-in-thailand-20210118-p56v2s.html

Lucky Justin . 

5 minutes ago, TSF said:

Yep, you sum it up well. While doing 2 weeks quarantine in Sydney for $aud4000, I'd apply for a permit to enter WA, flight Sydney to Perth, approx $aud600, and depending on the covid situation in NSW at the time, upon arrival in Perth could well be taken to another quarantine hotel for a further 2 weeks at another $aud4000. Fortunately, I'm quite comfortable here in Thailand and can wait it out. Just hope this pandemic doesn't drag on for years and years or I may well have to bite the bullet and go through all the hassle of finding my way back to Perth.

In November I was sent to Aus to pick up an airplane.   Aussie lady I talked to obboard said her one way business class fare  from Los Angeles was $16,000 USD. She has some important job, second time to quarantine. Had no good things to say about the hotels assigned or the food. No choice where to stay either. When will this bad dream end?

8 minutes ago, TSF said:

I think it won't go away completely , it will be like the cold & flu .

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Wonder when the Go Fund me page will go up.  Nothing in the article indicates he has any family in Australia or any friends who are wanting to help him get home.  I do feel for him, as it has become a nightmare just in the last few months to return whence you came.  Now with the pre flight Covid tests being required, limited Quarantine locations, and other rules that certain countries have in place with the new mutated strains of Covid.  The better question is, what can he possibly do to get home if he does not raise funds. I just wonder what was left out of the story and why he did not return last summer before the restrictions fully went into place.

I can tell you from experience just being stranded here for an extra month as well as in Cambodia that flight cancellations in the early days were an unstoppable plague. I must have had at least a half dozen flights out booked and then cancelled abruptly just before they were scheduled to depart. I had to search flights every day and finally booked a one way that came up which left the very next day. That was to the US. For other countries it was even more difficult, and I seem to remember very few flights to Australia at that point

20 hours ago, Pilotman said:

why no money?  If no money here, then no money in Australia? If no money here, why is he here? No family to send some on to him? 

Well, son, there are things in life you're too young to understand. We adults must face a very complicated world every day and find it hard even for US to understand, so don't worry your little mind. Run and play now

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

I bet some underpaid, overworked government employee retaliated against this guy, making BS excuses for cutting him off, probably couldn't handle an upset and frantic person calling them out on their mistakes. The Australian government ought to be ashamed of itself. This has been going on long enough, measures for helping stranded citizens should be firmly in place and effective by now.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I bet some underpaid, overworked government employee retaliated against this guy, making BS excuses for cutting him off, probably couldn't handle an upset and frantic person calling them out on their mistakes. The Australian government ought to be ashamed of itself. This has been going on long enough, measures for helping stranded citizens should be firmly in place and effective by now.

I agree the Australian gov't shoud be doing more to help stranded citizens instead of allowing  their millionaire mates and  entertainers to drop in and self -isolate.

8 hours ago, tandor said:

...agree..he's young, single, no ties (but sharing on a meagre salary of AU$10000 per month), with both feet in paradise...he is better off than a lot of us retirees here!

If its that urgent, he could, borrow the money, by a small yacht and island-hop his way home..what an adventure that would be!

..sorry, should read AU$1,000.

If his situation was so precarious, why on Earth did he burn through the 60.000 baht loan he was granted in just three months? His girlfriend obviously has the money to take care of rent and her own needs, so why did he spend 20 000 baht a month? He could easily have made that money last for twice as long or even longer.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I think you have had enough of the internet for one day .

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Australia appears to have become one of the toughest nations, when it comes to coming or leaving. Even a trip to the West Coast requires a 14 day quarantine. 

It is, lockdowns from March onwards were draconian. Not just coming or going, mask discipline, restricted shopping hours, staying within 5 km of the home. $1700 fine for non-compliance.

OTOH, good social support and success against COVID. The economy was not badly impaired.

• Like 1