'I gave up a long time ago': Australian stranded for nearly a year in Thailand

snoop1130

On 1/19/2021 at 8:10 PM, moouaan said:

If he really wanted to leave he could have left. There are lots of airlines that are flying to Australia, but he might have to do a few layovers to get out. There are flights leaving on 22 January if you use Google travel.

Exactly  I flew into Thailand on October to see my family and returned to Australia December.Registered with the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

They have repatriation flights every Sunday until march 2021.

With Thai or Singapore Airlines.

They did say if you knock back a flight.you will be removed of the list.

Something more to this story he could've come back long ago if he really wanted to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willr said:

Exactly  I flew into Thailand on October to see my family and returned to Australia December.Registered with the Australian embassy in Bangkok.

They have repatriation flights every Sunday until march 2021.

With Thai or Singapore Airlines.

They did say if you knock back a flight.you will be removed of the list.

Something more to this story he could've come back long ago if he really wanted to.

So you had to quarantine both ends? Expensive trip. And you did not have to remain outside Australia for 3 months?! I am assuming you paid for your repatriated flight given you flew in in October.

Edited by Spock

I sympathise with his plight to get back home, but it seems like he should have gone on the flight to singapore. He would have at least been in transit and probably landed home by now.

The one thing I find hard to believe is that he couldn't get a job. He's an Ozzie - pretty much any English speaking foreigner in Thailand now could find a teaching gig for 30k or so a month. Shameful leaching off his GF for such a long time.

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

It is, lockdowns from March onwards were draconian. Not just coming or going, mask discipline, restricted shopping hours, staying within 5 km of the home. $1700 fine for non-compliance.

OTOH, good social support and success against COVID. The economy was not badly impaired.

Contrary to the economy in the US, which has been devastated. Especially restaurants. Dine in. Dine out. Cannot make up our minds. Sorry, you just spent $60,000 in remaining savings to adapt your restaurant to outdoor dining. That is closed now too. 

And the most fascinating stat of all, is Florida. The state is nearly completely open. Yet, the Covid rate is comparable to NY state, which is locked down. Southern California is nearly locked down, and the numbers are soaring. Figure that one out. At the risk of saying something totally not PC, I would say most of the narrative with regard to Covid, is either fake, incorrect, misleading or scientifically flawed. Hard to know exactly what is going on, but it does not appear to be as advertised. 

I do not understand why this Aussie is claiming that he is stranded/no money. I am a Kenyan, I secured a teaching job in Thailand from 2010-2013 in Thailand within 3 weeks after arriving in Thailand. I would go to look for a teaching job every day  at schools, language centres and the favourite website of ajarn.com. I used to see plenty of Native English Speakers (NES) secure teaching jobs literally in one day after they arrived. (Some NES could literally land in the morning and sign contracts in the afternoon). I now live in Finland as a Finnish citizen ???? If I may help, I would advise him to start looking for an English teaching job as a part-time teacher, substitute teacher, English camp teacher or take up a full time position through ajarn.com, if not, just head to Ayutthaya and look for a company called Language services which gave me my first job in Thailand. All the best mate!

On 1/20/2021 at 1:22 PM, lovethai123 said:

Thailand is an amazing country.

I know a real real somchai, who used to drop his real thai wife so she could make money. Wait outside the hotel until she finishes the job.

Now that's a real Thai man. Probably needs the money for his mia noi. I've heard real Thai wives say they had sit in the same room and watch. Like you say, it's easy to see how Western men do well here.  You don't need an ATM queen.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Now that's a real Thai man. Probably needs the money for his mia noi. I've heard real Thai wives say they had sit in the same room and watch. Like you say, it's easy to see how Western men do well here.  You don't need an ATM queen.

When you make a comment like this it says more about you and which segment of society you belong than it does about Thai society in general.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thedemon said:

When you make a comment like this it says more about you and which segment of society you belong than it does about Thai society in general.

I'll ad an additional comment to the one you commented.. I know ' many 'Th ladies working in bars and 'going' with farangs to go spend the money they make to go to MALE gogo bars...... 

On 1/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, chrisandsu said:

In fairness though why should a 40 year old Thai girl leach off a 65 year old farang guy with nothing more then a government pension after a lifetime of work ? Both parasites in my book . 

Because the 65 year old pensioner gets his benefits from that as well ???? this guy is the only part in this story that is leeching (and maybe the brother) so i think you are reading the wrong book . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rabas said:

he looked a bit gayish, i cud see him from my hotel balcony while his "wife" was taking a shower after the "date".

23 hours ago, 5050 said:

If I may help, I would advise him to start looking for an English teaching job as a part-time teacher, substitute teacher, English camp teacher or take up a full time position through ajarn.com,

Things are bad, but surely not that bad?

• Haha 2

On 1/21/2021 at 12:33 PM, Spock said:

So you had to quarantine both ends? Expensive trip. And you did not have to remain outside Australia for 3 months?! I am assuming you paid for your repatriated flight given you flew in in October.

Yes on both counts.but being away from family for nearly 11 months was worth it.

Paid for repatriation flights both ways.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2021 at 5:40 PM, moouaan said:

If he really wanted to leave he could have left. There are lots of airlines that are flying to Australia, but he might have to do a few layovers to get out. There are flights leaving on 22 January if you use Google travel.

No like most of the Australians "stranded" overseas they chose to ride it out most were already expats or living overseas and now they want a free ride home at government expense. I assume there are many in legitimate dire straits bit there are many more just using this as a sound bite. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 4:34 PM, Myran said:

If his situation was so precarious, why on Earth did he burn through the 60.000 baht loan he was granted in just three months? His girlfriend obviously has the money to take care of rent and her own needs, so why did he spend 20 000 baht a month? He could easily have made that money last for twice as long or even longer.

"His girlfriend obviously has....."

Good joke.

"so, why did he spend....."

Cos, it is apparently the man's job to pay for most things.

On 1/23/2021 at 1:44 PM, starky said:

No like most of the Australians "stranded" overseas they chose to ride it out most were already expats or living overseas and now they want a free ride home at government expense. I assume there are many in legitimate dire straits bit there are many more just using this as a sound bite. 

It costs 22K baht from Thailand and you need to do your own PCR test beforehand, and then quarantine back home at your own expense. How is that 'free'?