Renewing a 5 year licence?

ChomDo

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

After hearing all this, I'm not sure if I should even bother with it right now. I mean the whole process is on stand by anyway until at least end of March due to the general restrictions. So next question is what's the general time limit for renewing and expired licence? I mean there was talk about some time that you can still drive with an expired licence. Mine is expiring in March so I was wondering how many months could I keep using my current licence without trouble if stopped? Probably an impossible question to answer and foreigners can be fined at any time anyway, but just want to get some idea about how ok is it to do so?

Up to a year after expiry.  If you have the yellow appointment slip you should be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Up to a year after expiry.  If you have the yellow appointment slip you should be OK.

Really? You mean people can use their expired licence for a year legally? I mean is that an actual rule or something vague? Seems great if that's the case!

As I understand it.

With the 5 year license, you can use your license for up to 1 year after it has expired with no problem. If you leave it more than 1 year you have to do the full test including the online/written test.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jaiyenyen said:

As I understand it.

With the 5 year license, you can use your license for up to 1 year after it has expired with no problem. If you leave it more than 1 year you have to do the full test including the online/written test.

Not so sure about that.

you have one year to renew your license, true

but you need a valid license to drive or ride on the roads here.

an out of date license is not valid.

• Like 1

So I guess a bit 50/50 on this one about driving with an expired licence. If there is such a rule, I would imagine it won't always be applied to foreigners. I mean we might get fined anytime anyway. 

I'm just thinking that it there's a problem with renewing while on an STV visa, then I'd have to wait at least until August. That would mean driving 4-5 months with the old Thai licence. I guess a safer option is to get that "international driver's licence" attachment paper for my EU licence just in case. That should always be legal in Thailand but then again depends on the police that stops you. But I guess with an expired Thai licence, valid EU licence and the additional international licence paper all should be fine for a while until everything gets sorted out? 

38 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So I guess a bit 50/50 on this one about driving with an expired licence. If there is such a rule, I would imagine it won't always be applied to foreigners. I mean we might get fined anytime anyway. 

I'm just thinking that it there's a problem with renewing while on an STV visa, then I'd have to wait at least until August. That would mean driving 4-5 months with the old Thai licence. I guess a safer option is to get that "international driver's licence" attachment paper for my EU licence just in case. That should always be legal in Thailand but then again depends on the police that stops you. But I guess with an expired Thai licence, valid EU licence and the additional international licence paper all should be fine for a while until everything gets sorted out? 

Think that would only be ok for 90 days.

bottom line is, if PC plonker wants your money, not much you can do.

I would be more concerned if i had a serious accident !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and no valid license

Edited by quake

No new driver’s license until Emergency Decree ends

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced that there will be no driver license services until the Emergency Decree in Thailand ends. Jirut Wisarnjit the DLT Director-General reported that the Department will be moving all driving license services out. Originally the plan was to re-open the services again on 7 May 2020, but due to the extension of the emergency decree the DLT has also moved out the date and the services will continue when the emergency decree ends. The goal is to minimize the spread of Covid-19, as a safety measure to the people and the employees at DLT.

Those with an expired driver’s license from 2 January 2020 to the date when the emergency decree ends will have an extension as long as Thailand is still in an emergency state. The DLT has notified the Royal Thai Police and the Office of Insurance Commission to allow those with an expired driver’s license since 2 January 2020 to continue driving on the road. The Insurance Commission will make sure that those with insurance will be able to claim the costs in case of an accident provided that you are driving the type of vehicle as registered in the driver’s license. For example, a Private Car Driving License, a Taxi Driving License, and etc.

For those who have already booked an appointment with the DLT for a driver’s license examination or to renew their driver’s license will be served first when the driving license services open for business as usual. The officer at the DLT will provide those who have previously made an appointment to enter the exam or to renew their driver’s license before those with no previous appointments. When the services become available, the DLT will continue to practice safety precautions in the prevention of the virus. This is to make sure that the people will not be at risk when visiting a Provincial DLT Branch.

https://thairesidents.com/local/no-new-drivers-license-until-emergency-decree-ends/

Thailand’s nationwide Emergency Decree has been extended again

Thailand’s nationwide Emergency Decree has been extended again, this time until the end of February. The decree gives the Thai government the ability to set policies and procedures to prevent the control the spread of Covid-19… things like restricting travel, setting up road checkpoints and introducing other restrictions without having to consult the parliament.

Government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri says it is just an extension of the decree that is currently in place that was initially set to end on January 15. The extension, adding on another 45 days, was proposed by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration and approved by the Thai Cabinet this week.

The initial emergency decree was enacted in March last year and has been extended ever since.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/nationwide-emergency-decree-extended-until-the-end-of-february

• Like 1

I have booked time to renew tomorow, and bring my two health declaration papers from the doctor. One for car and one for motorbike. I also bring my yellow book for proof of resident. I got one year retirement visa! 

So tomorow I will know what they want me to do.

2 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I also understand that if you are renewing a 5 year license, you don't need a medical certificate.

Does anyone know if this is true?

You only need it if they ask for it...

I know the Bangkok district 01 office required the C of R, but district 05 did not...

District 01 also required an appointment, but district 05 did not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2021 at 10:42 AM, UncleMhee said:

No new driver’s license until Emergency Decree ends

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has announced that there will be no driver license services until the Emergency Decree in Thailand ends. Jirut Wisarnjit the DLT Director-General reported that the Department will be moving all driving license services out. Originally the plan was to re-open the services again on 7 May 2020, but due to the extension of the emergency decree the DLT has also moved out the date and the services will continue when the emergency decree ends. The goal is to minimize the spread of Covid-19, as a safety measure to the people and the employees at DLT.

Those with an expired driver’s license from 2 January 2020 to the date when the emergency decree ends will have an extension as long as Thailand is still in an emergency state. The DLT has notified the Royal Thai Police and the Office of Insurance Commission to allow those with an expired driver’s license since 2 January 2020 to continue driving on the road. The Insurance Commission will make sure that those with insurance will be able to claim the costs in case of an accident provided that you are driving the type of vehicle as registered in the driver’s license. For example, a Private Car Driving License, a Taxi Driving License, and etc.

For those who have already booked an appointment with the DLT for a driver’s license examination or to renew their driver’s license will be served first when the driving license services open for business as usual. The officer at the DLT will provide those who have previously made an appointment to enter the exam or to renew their driver’s license before those with no previous appointments. When the services become available, the DLT will continue to practice safety precautions in the prevention of the virus. This is to make sure that the people will not be at risk when visiting a Provincial DLT Branch.

https://thairesidents.com/local/no-new-drivers-license-until-emergency-decree-ends/

Thailand’s nationwide Emergency Decree has been extended again

Thailand’s nationwide Emergency Decree has been extended again, this time until the end of February. The decree gives the Thai government the ability to set policies and procedures to prevent the control the spread of Covid-19… things like restricting travel, setting up road checkpoints and introducing other restrictions without having to consult the parliament.

Government spokesperson Anucha Burapachaisri says it is just an extension of the decree that is currently in place that was initially set to end on January 15. The extension, adding on another 45 days, was proposed by the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration and approved by the Thai Cabinet this week.

The initial emergency decree was enacted in March last year and has been extended ever since.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/nationwide-emergency-decree-extended-until-the-end-of-february

trust in Thailand .. the first article was from May last year - they seem to have implemented a procedure now. But who knows?

23 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

I also understand that if you are renewing a 5 year license, you don't need a medical certificate.

My local office said the wanted one for foreigners, the Thai web app said it wasn’t required.

My local witchdoctor charges 100B just to sign a scrap of paper that will pass, I just pick one up to be safe.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 11:35 AM, ChomDo said:

there was talk about some time that you can still drive with an expired licence. Mine is expiring in March so I was wondering how many months could I keep using my current licence without trouble if stopped?    just want to get some idea about how ok is it to do so?

You can be certain the requirements will vary between different offices and regions.

My Missus told me today that she read besides a medical certificate a person will starting this February need to go to a local hospital and get a certificate from them as well.

Question for you:   Will your insurance be valid if you drive with an expired license or do you even have insurance?

Thanks for all the good replies. Lots of info to absorb here and as usual many kinds of views????

It's a good point about the insurance. I wouldn't want to take a risk with that..nor the cops. So for sure I would try to get the licence renewed in March if possible.

Someone asked how often I', pulled over. During covid time not once, but before there was always a police patrol at a U-turn near my house after 10pm, many nights a week. Most people just passed but every time they saw me/a foreigner they would ask me to show my licence and blow into the alcometer.

Well let's keep sharing info and experiences here about renewing a 5 year licence. For me most interesting would be to know if someone has recently done so with a TR visa. If yes, please let me know.  

On 1/24/2021 at 12:07 PM, jaiyenyen said:

I just renewed my 2 year to 5 year today. Guess it should not be much difference to renew a 5 year license. 

Book time online (found out today it was not necessery in Chaiyaphum, but did as told when we made the phonce call to ask. Same as we did with Phetchabun when we called to ask if they where open to renew license, but they did not tell us we had to book online first. So we went there, for only to return, even there was nobody in the line at the moment)

I brought 2x of eac to renew motorbike and car license

Medical certificate

copy of 

passport

visa page

Yellow Housebook or proof of residence

just had to de the high tech brake test, centertest with rope and colour test. 

0C4D79AC-9953-4580-B31F-DDDB00F6D368.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, Tagged said:

I just renewed my 2 year to 5 year today. Guess it should not be much difference to renew a 5 year license. 

Book time online (found out today it was not necessery in Chaiyaphum, but did as told when we made the phonce call to ask. Same as we did with Phetchabun when we called to ask if they where open to renew license, but they did not tell us we had to book online first. So we went there, for only to return, even there was nobody in the line at the moment)

I brought 2x of eac to renew motorbike and car license

Medical certificate

copy of 

passport

visa page

Yellow Housebook or proof of residence

just had to de the high tech brake test, centertest with rope and colour test. 

Thanks for update. What visa are you on? Still waiting to hear if someone managed to renew with TR visa. If other visa types, then obviously there won't be any issues – maybe just different requirements depending on the office. 

0C4D79AC-9953-4580-B31F-DDDB00F6D368.jpeg

9 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

As a note, when I renewed my five year at Lat Krabang, I used my pink ID & yellow book and they did not ask for my passport, did not check my visa and did not require a C of R.

If you didn't need to show your passport then the number of your pint ID card would be on your license and not your passport number     correct?

1 hour ago, PFMills said:

If you didn't need to show your passport then the number of your pint ID card would be on your license and not your passport number     correct?

Yes, that is correct, I did not even notice until you asked. It was the passport number on the old one as I've had the license a lot longer than I've had the pink ID. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, that is correct, I did not even notice until you asked. It was the passport number on the old one as I've had the license a lot longer than I've had the pink ID. 

The Pink ID card shows your name in Thai language only, so did they print your card with your name in Thai or English (if so, I guess they used the translation from your expired license)?

1 hour ago, mark5335 said:

The Pink ID card shows your name in Thai language only, so did they print your card with your name in Thai or English (if so, I guess they used the translation from your expired license)?

The name on my license is now in both Thai and English. On my old license it was in English only. My Passport number does not appear anywhere on the new license.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The name on my license is now in both Thai and English. On my old license it was in English only. My Passport number does not appear anywhere on the new license.

Mine has my name in English twice!  And my Pink ID card number! One of the times my wife didn't do so well with them.

10 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I can confirm the same:  Both my Thai Driving and Motorcycle Licences have my name in both Thai and English with the same ID number as my Pink ID card (no passport number).

On 2/7/2021 at 8:55 PM, Tagged said:

Non Immigrant O (retirement)

Last time I renewed, I got only two years on TR visa. Just call your closest office and check status, 

Ok sounds good that you got it done once with a TR. I think I extended to a 5 year licence with a TR visa last time too but can't remember for sure.