Renewing a 5 year licence?

ChomDo

On 2/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, Yellowtail said:

As a note, when I renewed my five year at Lat Krabang, I used my pink ID & yellow book and they did not ask for my passport, did not check my visa and did not require a C of R.

I didn't know there's a DLT in Lat Krabang. I should try that then instead of the crazy busy Sukhumvit branch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, ChomDo said:

I didn't know there's a DLT in Lat Krabang. I should try that then instead of the crazy busy Sukhumvit branch. 

Just called the DLT "hotline" yesterday and they told me the only way is to go to the center and get a queue number.  Also, there's no DLT in Lat Krabang but there is on in Minburi. Perhaps Yellowtail referred to that branch?

Anyway, the first available dates are around March 15 they said. They didn't seem to have much clue about what papers are needed, so I guess they will tell me once I pick up the number. 

9 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Just called the DLT "hotline" yesterday and they told me the only way is to go to the center and get a queue number.  Also, there's no DLT in Lat Krabang but there is on in Minburi. Perhaps Yellowtail referred to that branch?

Anyway, the first available dates are around March 15 they said. They didn't seem to have much clue about what papers are needed, so I guess they will tell me once I pick up the number. 

Some guy (on this forum) reported that while they had a queue number they just rocked up at the DLT anyway as they didn’t want to wait - they were allowed entry into the DLT offices and able to get their license on that day. 

- I guess it just comes down to whoever you speak to on the day. Worth a try if you have the time.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some guy (on this forum) reported that while they had a queue number they just rocked up at the DLT anyway as they didn’t want to wait - they were allowed entry into the DLT offices and able to get their license on that day. 

- I guess it just comes down to whoever you speak to on the day. Worth a try if you have the time.

Ok sounds good. I'm going to pick up the queue number tomorrow, but after I have it I would hardly go there before the time they give me. Mostly I'm nervous about them asking for paperwork that I don't have. I'm just hoping they won't start to be all silly about my STV TR visa. Still, I'm pretty sure I extended on a TR visa last time too.

4 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Sorry:

275634207_DLTArea4.JPG.5b2169be37cd49d92afe4ccf836c8498.JPG

Went to the DLT 3 on Sukhumvit yesterday to pick up the queue number. The place was nearly as busy as before. Maybe 50 people in line but it moved fast so I got it done in about 15 minutes. They game me a yellow slip with an appointment time for April 8, so the wait now is about 1.5 months. Also showed my STV visa to confirm that everything will be ok. The guy went to show it to someone and said I can only get 2 years with a TR visa – otherwise it would be a 5 year extension. Well, anyway was relieved that they didn't have a problem with the TR visa other than the shorter extension. 

16 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

No messing about with queue numbers and returning the following month at Mor Chit. Just turn up early (7am) with your papers and out by around 10.30am.

What's this advice related to? My time marked on the yellow slip is 10.30 at Sukhmvit DLT area 3.

This advice is related to renewing a 5yr driving license at the Mor Chit branch of the DLT in Bangkok. You can go there with your paperwork and get everything done in a morning. No need for further appointments.

You appear to have gone to a different branch of the DLT in Bangkok and been given an appointment for April 8th to renew your license.

My point is that the Mor Chit branch seems much quicker.

Edited by jaiyenyen
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:15 PM, jaiyenyen said:

This advice is related to renewing a 5yr driving license at the Mor Chit branch of the DLT in Bangkok. You can go there with your paperwork and get everything done in a morning. No need for further appointments.

You appear to have gone to a different branch of the DLT in Bangkok and been given an appointment for April 8th to renew your license.

My point is that the Mor Chit branch seems much quicker.

Ok that sounds good but I'm only looking for advice for TR visa holders like myself, so I'm not sure if your info is accurate for us. I'm sure all you guys with the different coloured books (pink, yellow and how knows what) can get it done the same way Thais can, but for anyone on a tourist visa the process is to go there and get the queue number and then return with the following paperwork:

- Old licence

- Copy of passport and visa page

- Certificate of residence from immigration or embassy

This is all stated in the queue slip I got from DLT. And as I mentioned earlier, I will now get only 2 years because of TR visa.

• Like 1

Now can anyone tell me if it's even possible to get a certificate of residence from the immigration when on a TR visa? Seems like a lot of paperwork they require for that and a two weeks waiting time. I have a memory that somewhere it stated that TR visa holders have to get COR from embassy only. Can someone with TR visa confirm?

On 2/24/2021 at 11:44 AM, ChomDo said:

Ok that sounds good but I'm only looking for advice for TR visa holders like myself, so I'm not sure if your info is accurate for us. I'm sure all you guys with the different coloured books (pink, yellow and how knows what) can get it done the same way Thais can, but for anyone on a tourist visa the process is to go there and get the queue number and then return with the following paperwork:

- Old licence

- Copy of passport and visa page

- Certificate of residence from immigration or embassy

This is all stated in the queue slip I got from DLT. And as I mentioned earlier, I will now get only 2 years because of TR visa.

Getting your queue number etc is not related to what visa you are on. Anyone, on PR, Non-Imm, with our without a Yellow house book etc still have to queue.... (or go earlier and see if they are let in). 

Based on jaiyenyen's comment it looks possible to rockup at DLT at Mor-Chit and queue up there and then and receive your DL that same day without having to come back in 1.5 months. No harm in giving that a try if you have the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Now can anyone tell me if it's even possible to get a certificate of residence from the immigration when on a TR visa? Seems like a lot of paperwork they require for that and a two weeks waiting time. I have a memory that somewhere it stated that TR visa holders have to get COR from embassy only. Can someone with TR visa confirm?

Any Immigration office is different - all you can really do is take utility bill with you to Immigration and see if they will issue you one. 

Some Immigration offices insist that you have to have done a 90 day report, others don’t. Covid-19 may also come into play.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Any Immigration office is different - all you can really do is take utility bill with you to Immigration and see if they will issue you one. 

Some Immigration offices insist that you have to have done a 90 day report, others don’t. Covid-19 may also come into play.

Utility bill won't have my name on it, but I do have plenty of letter sent to my house with my name on them if that helps. But there's a long list of other paperwork they need for COR. I'm going to immi Muang Thong Thani next week for STV extension so maybe I'll try at the same time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Getting your queue number etc is not related to what visa you are on. Anyone, on PR, Non-Imm, with our without a Yellow house book etc still have to queue.... (or go earlier and see if they are let in). 

Based on jaiyenyen's comment it looks possible to rockup at DLT at Mor-Chit and queue up there and then and receive your DL that same day without having to come back in 1.5 months. No harm in giving that a try if you have the time. 

I actually went to Mor Chit a week earlier than when I got my DL renewed. I got there around 8.30am and was told by the staff that I was too late for that day and that I should try  another day.

No mention was made of a queue number. Just come back another day, but earlier.

So that's what I did.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:22 PM, jaiyenyen said:

I actually went to Mor Chit a week earlier than when I got my DL renewed. I got there around 8.30am and was told by the staff that I was too late for that day and that I should try  another day.

No mention was made of a queue number. Just come back another day, but earlier.

So that's what I did.

Sounds good! It's just that I live quite close to the Sukhmvit DLT so I wanted to go check that out first. Now that I have my appointment for the beginning of April I'd probably stick to it, but of course if I happen to be around Mo Chit, I could give it a try. But I do have a TR visa. Were you on a TR? That seems to change things quite a bit. 

• Like 1

I'm on a Non Imm 'O' visa, so as you say, it might change things for you.

DLT at Mor Chit is very near to the BTS. If you have the time, it might be worth a quick trip up there with your papers. You might get lucky.

Good luck. Whatever you do ????

Went to Muang Thong Thani to extend visa today and wanted to get the Certificate of Residence for my driving licence renewal that's booked for April. They said it's ipossible without Non-immigrant visa – they can not do one for TR visa holders. I called my embassy, as it's advised in many places that it's the right place to get one for DLT matters. They said they can not do it either. Not sure why but they insisted that they can't help. Now I'm in a real mess because I need it to renew my licence.

Anybody have some helpful advice what I can do in this situation?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

How overdo is your license?

Try a different DLT office...

Not overdue yet. Expiry at the end of this month and my appointment at Sukhumvit DLT in April. I mean I have no idea if they would give me the new 2 year licence even without the certificate of residence, but it's clearly stated as one of the documents to bring. So unlucky with this since I heard a few reports that you can get the COR at immigration offices in other provinces just fine with a TR visa. 

Not overdue yet. Expiry at the end of this month and my appointment at Sukhumvit DLT in April. I mean I have no idea if they would give me the new 2 year licence even without the certificate of residence, but it's clearly stated as one of the documents to bring. So unlucky with this since I heard a few reports that you can get the COR at immigration offices in other provinces just fine with a TR visa. 

I know with a five year you are okay for a year after the expiry date, not sure about a two year.

Do you have a pink ID?

In any event, if you have the time, I  would try some other offices, or perhaps check with one the agents. I think agents that help with D:s are pretty cheap.

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I know with a five year you are okay for a year after the expiry date, not sure about a two year.

Do you have a pink ID?

In any event, if you have the time, I  would try some other offices, or perhaps check with one the agents. I think agents that help with D:s are pretty cheap.

I'm on a five year licence now, but I mean the next one will be a 2 year due to the fact that I have a TR visa. Many people seem to think it's ok to drive one year after the licence has expired but that's not exactly correct. I mean the idea is that you can renew the licence within a year after expiry but not legally drive with an expired licence. At least if you have an accident or need to claim insurances there can be issues.

I don't have a pink ID. I'm on an STV visa now.

I've actually found a tricky solution to the Certificate of Residence issue. I have dual nationality of two EU countries and the other embassy can give me the COR. But now I can not be sure what the DLT would say about the COR document being tied to another passport and not the one that my visa is in. I guess nobody knows the answer to this question since it would be a very uncommon thing to do? I hope it would be ok under the circumstances since it's my only option and I can show them both passports and explain. 

1 hour ago, ChomDo said:

I'm on a five year licence now, but I mean the next one will be a 2 year due to the fact that I have a TR visa. Many people seem to think it's ok to drive one year after the licence has expired but that's not exactly correct. I mean the idea is that you can renew the licence within a year after expiry but not legally drive with an expired licence. At least if you have an accident or need to claim insurances there can be issues.

I don't have a pink ID. I'm on an STV visa now.

I've actually found a tricky solution to the Certificate of Residence issue. I have dual nationality of two EU countries and the other embassy can give me the COR. But now I can not be sure what the DLT would say about the COR document being tied to another passport and not the one that my visa is in. I guess nobody knows the answer to this question since it would be a very uncommon thing to do? I hope it would be ok under the circumstances since it's my only option and I can show them both passports and explain. 

I would contact one of the DL agents and see if they can help you. Better to pay an extra B500-1,000 and get another  five-year.

Your insurance cannot legally not pay a claim because your license has expired.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I would contact one of the DL agents and see if they can help you. Better to pay an extra B500-1,000 and get another  five-year.

Your insurance cannot legally not pay a claim because your license has expired.

Ok that sounds great. I didn't know there are DLT agents. I would definitely not mind paying for an agent for an easier way to get a 5 year licence. How can I use one of those agents?

Ok that sounds great. I didn't know there are DLT agents. I would definitely not mind paying for an agent for an easier way to get a 5 year licence. How can I use one of those agents?

I've never used one, but think there is one that advertises on the board and gets recommended from time to time. In any event, someone should be along momentarily to go on and on about what an incredible waste of money it is. 

Here's another thing you might try.

I needed a proof of address/residence for my first Thai D/L.

I went to the local police station with my wife. She asked the officer if he could just write a few words to confirm my name and say that I lived at my address.

I used that, and it was accepted.

If you're not married, or in a permanent relationship, you could try taking your landlord along to the police station to vouch for you.

It's a long shot, I know but it might be worth a try.

5 hours ago, jaiyenyen said:

Here's another thing you might try.

I needed a proof of address/residence for my first Thai D/L.

I went to the local police station with my wife. She asked the officer if he could just write a few words to confirm my name and say that I lived at my address.

I used that, and it was accepted.

If you're not married, or in a permanent relationship, you could try taking your landlord along to the police station to vouch for you.

It's a long shot, I know but it might be worth a try.

Yea that's an option too, thanks for the hint. You guys think what I told above is not a good solution? Repeated below:

I have dual nationality of two EU countries and the other embassy can give me the COR. But now I can not be sure what the DLT would say about the COR document being tied to another passport and not the one that my visa is in. I guess nobody knows the answer to this question since it would be a very uncommon thing to do? I hope it would be ok under the circumstances since it's my only option and I can show them both passports and explain. 

Personally, I think it might complicate matters for you.

Anything too far out of the ordinary is likely to find the word 'Cannot' ringing in your ears.

I mention the police letter only because I find officials in one department are sometimes reluctant to knock back paperwork from another department. In this case the DLT v Police.

I'm sure a bottle of JW will get you a nice letter from plod.

• 1 month later...

Got my licence done today at DLT. So finally it was ok for them that I got my certificate of residence from another embassy (not related to the passport where my STV stamp is). The funny thing was that today they didn't even notice that the certificate was not from the same country's embassy as the passport I showed them. So let's say that they clearly don't care much as long as you have some official COR document from some embassy or the immigration.

A surprise was that they now want the medical certificate from everyone even tho it was not stated in the requirements for DL renewal. I had to take a motorbike to the closest clinic which seemingly deals with quick DL certificates. That took only an extra 20min altogether so not a big deal.

After that I had to take the reaction and light tests again and join in for the one hour video. I wasn't expecting this since last time I didn't need to do those when extending to a 5 year DL. Anyway the whole process took 2,5 hours. And just a reminder that you get the 2 year extension only with TR visa. I'm happy with that after all the hassle.