Outbreak easing, strict controls might lift next month, says PM

snoop1130

50 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Would you be so kind as to name all those Western countries whose leaders have done a better job than the Thais in halting the spread of Covid-19????

Indeed, maybe just Australia and NZ.

The one smart thing was to hand it to the medical experts much as they did in New Zealand. They are a major/primary part of the reason Thailand has done so well. The chink in Thailand's armour though was always going to be the ego and incompetence of Prayut and his cabal. He also saw it as an opportunity to tighten the noose around the people of Thailand, introducing a SOE act that restricted far more than medically required. It could have been done with a few simple changes to other laws, but Prayut saw it as another way to control the population longer term for the benefit of his masters and the elite he is there to protect and enrich.

His incompetence is a primary reason we are back here again - zero police reform in 6 years plus the disastrous  removal of 5000+ Border Police from the Myanmar border just as COVID was going nuts there - as so well pointed out in that brilliant Nation editorial a few weeks back. He can blame corrupt cops etc but the responsibility is personally his, not that he'd ever accept it.

Now this shutdown and blip in COVID is being used to suppress the protests he was otherwise at a loss to control. That countless thousands of Thai businesses and Thais are being hurt financially, possibly terminally, by this is of little concern to a man who has shown absolutely no interest in public health or welfare otherwise in the six years he's misruled - look at the total inaction on road deaths and the awful air over the years. Prayut exists as PM for one reason and it ain't Thailand as a nation or a people. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Lest it be thought I am a Covid sceptic or breaker of rules I am the main organiser of a social drinking and running group - Ubon Hash House Harriers. Following the Prayut announcement about social group restrictions (perhaps my use of the 'waffle' reference was misplaced) we cancelled our 'runs' until further notice. We feel that the risks are relatively low in this part of Thailand but the potential penalties for foreigner organisers if a remote risk were to convert to an out-break could be huge.

You can probably resume your runs around mid-February I'd say. 

My main concern is the overly authoritarian nature of all these restrictions and yes, you could be caught up in the dragnet if the authorities so choose...even though if you went out of town there is little reason why you would be subjected to any scrutiny but it's always possible panicky locals could call up the authorities. 

15 minutes ago, Harry Fingerling said:

What’s the odds on Sonkran being cancelled for a 2nd year?

50/50.

Depends on the politicians and the prevailing direction on which this "pandemic" is going.

Domestic travel is likely to resume cautiously next month, but won't be back to normal until March so I think Songkran might be allowed to be held this time. Obviously they will have to lighten their grip on control because you can't splash water around wearing a face mask.

In parts of Vietnam, a lot of people have stopped wearing face masks even to enter supermarkets where no checks are taking place anymore. In that country, we've seen waves of enforcement followed by a relaxation and then another enforcement phase, directly related to whether they declare any domestic infections or not. In the large cities like Hanoi and Saigon, they've tightened and maintained relatively strict rules in recent months, but elsewhere, such as in a recent video out of Quy Nhon north of Nha Trang, it's almost normal with only 30-40% of people wearing face masks to walk around town or enter businesses and no one using apps. 

1 hour ago, oslooskar said:

Would you be so kind as to name all those Western countries whose leaders have done a better job than the Thais in halting the spread of Covid-19????

Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland come to mind. There are also a few in the EU but I don’t care enough to look up for you.

Regionally, there’s Vietnam that did a better job than Thailand. If you’re to believe the numbers, Laos and Cambodia did a bang up job as well. 

32 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland come to mind. There are also a few in the EU but I don’t care enough to look up for you.

Regionally, there’s Vietnam that did a better job than Thailand. If you’re to believe the numbers, Laos and Cambodia did a bang up job as well. 

Come to think of it, what is Burma doing to roll out a vaccine? If the neighbors don’t get vaccinated, how does that leave Thailand?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Come to think of it, what is Burma doing to roll out a vaccine? If the neighbors don’t get vaccinated, how does that leave Thailand?

17 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Depends how many Burmese can swim in the dark.

19 hours ago, RickBradford said:

And sometime later, some tests will see a few more people test positive, and they will lockdown again. Then it will ease, then sometime later they will do some more tests and see a few more people test positive, and they will lockdown again. Then it will ease again, then ......

For ever and ever, amen.

Sop people going out of one province into another.  Including cars and motor cycles. Train ok . Travel by train.

2 hours ago, Miss Pickle said:

Thailand are doing the right thing. Shutting everything down quickly.Something the UK should have done we had 1600 Deaths yesterday.you don’t want this Virus spreading.

Well I feel very lucky being in lockdown in Thailand . I'll give UK a miss.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

50/50.

Depends on the politicians and the prevailing direction on which this "pandemic" is going.

Domestic travel is likely to resume cautiously next month, but won't be back to normal until March so I think Songkran might be allowed to be held this time. Obviously they will have to lighten their grip on control because you can't splash water around wearing a face mask.

In parts of Vietnam, a lot of people have stopped wearing face masks even to enter supermarkets where no checks are taking place anymore. In that country, we've seen waves of enforcement followed by a relaxation and then another enforcement phase, directly related to whether they declare any domestic infections or not. In the large cities like Hanoi and Saigon, they've tightened and maintained relatively strict rules in recent months, but elsewhere, such as in a recent video out of Quy Nhon north of Nha Trang, it's almost normal with only 30-40% of people wearing face masks to walk around town or enter businesses and no one using apps. 

None. Money matters.

A conspiracy troll post and replies have been removed, please read the following extract pinned at the head of the Corona virus forum before you post further:

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

Thank you for your co-operation.

21 hours ago, Guderian said:

This seems to be the opposite of what Dr Taweesilp of the CCSA was saying today. He said that he's very worried by the situation in both Samut Sakhon and Bangkok West. Is Mr P even talking to his expert advisors, let alone listening to them? 

I hope you're not accusing the PM of listening to anybody?

9 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've got a few friends now in self isolation for not abiding by the restrictions.  Attending large, indoor birthday parties.  A CV19 carrier was present at both and now many are in self quarantine and being checked on a regular basis by the health care volunteers.  One is over 80 and really scared now.

Serve them right then, should be lucky if they are Farang not to have their visas cancelled.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, Baggy said:

Australia, new Zealand.

Australia has tested 14 million.

How many tested in Thailand?

I don't see any conclusive evidence that New Zealand and Australia have done a better job than the Thais in halting the spread of the virus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

I don't see any conclusive evidence that New Zealand and Australia have done a better job than the Thais in halting the spread of the virus.

All three have done a very good job.  Better than countries in the West.

On 1/19/2021 at 9:15 PM, dcnx said:

Australia, New Zealand, and Iceland all have higher percentages of their populations who either are, or were, infected with Covid-19. Regarding, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia; last time I checked they were not Western countries.

9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

All three have done a very good job.  Better than countries in the West.

Yes, but it should also be noted that Australia and New Zealand have a great advantage over the Thais due to their geographical locations. Hence, both are surrounded by water and thus neither had to deal with infected Burmese sneaking across their borders.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Yes, but it should also be noted that Australia and New Zealand have a great advantage over the Thais due to their geographical locations. Hence, both are surrounded by water and thus neither had to deal with infected Burmese sneaking across their borders.

For sure.  Oz just had to worry about infected quarantine guards going out and becoming super spreaders!

It's a crazy virus that is about to become worse with this new variant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, oslooskar said:

Slightly correct but the really important bit you missed.

Australia and NZ did huge amounts of testing and still do.

Thailand does little to no testing except when there's a huge flare up like in Samut Sakkon and then only in that area, so who knows how much is really out there?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steevjee said:

Slightly correct but the really important bit you missed.

Australia and NZ did huge amounts of testing and still do.

Thailand does little to no testing except when there's a huge flare up like in Samut Sakkon and then only in that area, so who knows how much is really out there?

Totally, nail on the head. 

There is no denying the truth in your post. 

On 1/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, RickBradford said:

And sometime later, some tests will see a few more people test positive, and they will lockdown again. Then it will ease, then sometime later they will do some more tests and see a few more people test positive, and they will lockdown again. Then it will ease again, then ......

For ever and ever, amen.

It reminds me the champions on this forum saying that there was no covid cases in Thailand before we knew it officially...

it's quite ridiculous actually !

On 1/19/2021 at 2:08 PM, Guderian said:

This seems to be the opposite of what Dr Taweesilp of the CCSA was saying today. He said that he's very worried by the situation in both Samut Sakhon and Bangkok West. Is Mr P even talking to his expert advisors, let alone listening to them? 

Health administration chiefs anywhere in the world, always worry and always spread anxiety and apocalyptic prophecies.  

They want to cover their asses. They don't give a s**t about the economic havoc and the psychological damages.

• Like 1