Row over contact-tracing app threatens to blow hole in Thailand’s COVID defence

snoop1130

Row over contact-tracing app threatens to blow hole in Thailand’s COVID defence

MorChana-tracing-application-Thailand.jpg

This photo illustration shows the Thai ‘MorChana’ contact tracing application on a smartphone in Bangkok on January 7, 2021, after Thai health officials encouraged people to use the tracking app to help curb the Covid-19 coronavirus outbreak in the country. (Photo by Jack TAYLOR / AFP)

Thailand’s much-touted contact-tracing app, MorChana, risks losing its “national hero” status as questions emerge about its efficacy and transparency.

Last Friday (Jan 15), the MorChana Volunteer Team abruptly announced the government had taken full control of the app, adding they hoped its potential to alert people of COVID-19 risks would be maximised. The app uses a red, orange, yellow and green colour code to show users their risk level.

The app’s handover sparked wild speculation that authorities were meddling too much in the management of MorChana, which has already got 7 million downloads.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/row-over-contact-tracing-app-threatens-to-blow-hole-in-thailands-covid-defence/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-19

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The app’s handover sparked wild speculation that authorities were meddling too much in the management of MorChana, which has already got 7 million downloads.

With only 10% coverage of the population, how useful can it be, meddling or not?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s much-touted contact-tracing app, MorChana, risks losing its “national hero” status as questions emerge about its efficacy and transparency.

Starting to think someone quite high up must have a son or daughter who came up with this idiotic app.

"National Hero" status?

On Thai social media this thing is a laughingstock. 

Pretty sure they'll have to mandate use, with penalites if not used, via a new "law" which is then gazetted.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

7 million downloads from a 77 million population.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Im not going to panic just yet, given that Pizza Company has more of my personal details and location data.

Not to mention AIS/DTAC/True.....whenever I walk into a particualr mall, i immediately get SMS messages tailored for the shops I am near...anooying but no great task to track me down apparently

• Like 1

I took Crossy's advice and installed Thai Chana.

2 hours ago, tonray said:

Not to mention AIS/DTAC/True.....whenever I walk into a particualr mall, i immediately get SMS messages tailored for the shops I am near...anooying but no great task to track me down apparently

Really, I've had AIS for 20+ yrs and have never received a SMS message (or otherwise) when I enter a shopping center (aka mall).

24 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I took Crossy's advice and installed Thai Chana.

Really, I've had AIS for 20+ yrs and have never received a SMS message (or otherwise) when I enter a shopping center (aka mall).

prepaidor post paid plan ? Also it may have to do with newer SIM and plan. I just got in December with unlimited plan from Lazada.