Analysis - Trump's legacy: A more divided America, a more unsettled world

webfact

19 minutes ago, J Town said:

No, it's not. Just cuz you don't like it doesn't make it provocative.

It's like CIA, FBI, etc. It's an acronym. 

Absolutely.  It's just used as shorthand--nothing provocative about it at all.  The First Lady is FLOTUS--First Lady of the US.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

As 45 plans to announce the pardon of steve bannon, fraudster and another inciter of the 6 Jan violence, that's evidence that even on his last day, 45 takes yet one more bucket of slop and pours it into the swamp that has never been so deep.

45 pardoning a guy indicted by 45's Justice Department for defrauding 45's supporters over 45's fake wall is a fitting ending to 45's presidency.

Each silly pardon, each silly statement, increases the odds of Senate Majority Leader Schumer getting the supermajority he needs to convict 45.

There ain't no chance that any but a few GOP Senators will vote to convict. Given the support Trump still enjoys among the big majority of Trump supporters, that would be electoral suicide.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There ain't no chance that any but a few GOP Senators will vote to convict. Given the support Trump still enjoys among the big majority of Trump supporters, that would be electoral suicide.

I never thought I'd agree with anything you said, but that is what I, and many, think.

A few have come out and said they would vote to convict. I imagine the response to them from voters would be rapid and not favourable. IMO the only ones that could safely vote to convict would be those not planning to stand for re election.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We'll see how that works out after a couple of years of Biden/ Harris in charge.

I'm waiting for the 2022 elections to see how it's gone. Could be he's back even huger than before.

Were you against Biden because of his age?

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We'll see how that works out after a couple of years of Biden/ Harris in charge.

I'm waiting for the 2022 elections to see how it's gone. Could be he's back even huger than before.

Do you think he'll get parole?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never thought I'd agree with anything you said, but that is what I, and many, think.

A few have come out and said they would vote to impeach. I imagine the response to them from voters would be rapid and not favourable. IMO the only ones that could safely vote to convict would be those not planning to stand for re election.

You really need a better source for your news.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/10/politics/poll-impeach-trump-historic-number/index.html

You can see that well in an ABC News/Ipsos poll released on Sunday. The majority (56%) say Trump should be removed from office, while just 43% believe he should not be removed.

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

Not so sure about that.  Especially after Mitch's statement today:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/mitch-mcconnell-rioters-provoked/index.html

"The mob was fed lies," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on the Senate floor. "They were provoked by the President and other powerful people."

McConnell is hard core establishment. IMO he has been holding his nose the past 4 years, but is now showing his true colours. He'll be sorry if he plans to stand for re election though, IMO.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jeffr2 said:

You really need a better source for your news.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/10/politics/poll-impeach-trump-historic-number/index.html

You can see that well in an ABC News/Ipsos poll released on Sunday. The majority (56%) say Trump should be removed from office, while just 43% believe he should not be removed.

Apparently you believe in polls. I don't.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Not so sure about that.  Especially after Mitch's statement today:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/19/politics/mitch-mcconnell-rioters-provoked/index.html

"The mob was fed lies," McConnell, a Kentucky Republican, said on the Senate floor. "They were provoked by the President and other powerful people."

I'll bet McConnell won't vote to convict. He's just making noises to sound impartial.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

McConnell is hard core establishment. IMO he has been holding his nose the past 4 years, but is now showing his true colours. He'll be sorry if he plans to stand for re election though, IMO.

Agreed. But at his age, he might not want to try again.  IMHO, he's too old.  We should have a mandatory age limit for members of congress and the president.  70 and you're retired.

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I suggest you take a look at Trump’s polling figures, they are only headed in one direction.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Too early to tell really, as usually history is the better judge of events and their aftermath, is the world worse now because of Trump? some will say yes others will beg to differ, for now, let's see how 46 will do...

Biden will be facing an uphill battle on several fronts, to be sure. Mu crystal ball is clouded for telling of the future. As to the past, I am on firmer round. The Donald and his supporters will go to their graves condemning the judgement of history. Sad, but then again, some might learn from history ...

• Like 2

Just now, placeholder said:

I'll bet McConnell won't vote to convict. He's just making noises to sound impartial.

That was a very significant statement.  If he supports impeachment, with the ultimate goal of removing Trump from the list of contenders for 2024, then this makes sense.  This has been suggest as the goal of Mitch.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Throatwobbler said:

What does POTUS mean to you? Generally curious. Presidents have been called that for many years.

President Of The United States. FLOTUS is First Lady Of The United States. I've never taken either acronym to be  pejorative.

• Like 2