An emotional Biden bids farewell to Delaware on his way to White House

webfact

An emotional Biden bids farewell to Delaware on his way to White House

By Trevor Hunnicutt

2021-01-19T212137Z_1_LYNXMPEH0I1KD_RTROPTP_4_USA-BIDEN-NATIONAL-GUARD.JPG

U.S. President-elect Joe Biden cries during an event at Major Joseph R. "Beau" Biden III National Guard/Reserve Center at New Castle County Airport in New Castle, Delaware, U.S. January 19, 2021. REUTERS/Tom Brenner

NEW CASTLE, Del. (Reuters) - U.S. President-elect Joe Biden became emotional during a brief farewell ceremony in Delaware on Tuesday before heading to Washington for his inauguration, choking back tears as he reflected on his long journey to the White House and remembered his son.

Biden thanked friends and family who had gathered to see him off at a National Guard center named after his son Beau - whose death from cancer in 2015 contributed to then-Vice President Biden's decision not to seek the White House in 2016.

"When I die, Delaware will be written on my heart," said Biden, his voice shaking with emotion.

"It's deeply personal that our next journey to Washington starts here, a place that defines the very best of who we are as Americans," he said. National Guard troops assist law enforcement and deal with domestic emergencies.

"I know these are dark times, but there is always light. That's what this state has taught me the most," said Biden.

Biden, who served Delaware as a senator for more than three decades and had run for president unsuccessfully two times before winning in November, said his one regret was that Beau, who served as attorney general in Delaware, was not there.

Before departing for Wednesday's presidential inauguration in Washington D.C., President-elect Joe Biden became emotional as he addressed a hometown Delaware crowd.

"We should be introducing him as president," Biden said, tears streaming down his face.

"Don't tell me things can't change. They can, and they do," Biden said. "I'm truly honored to be your next president and commander in chief."

After the ceremony, Biden flew to Washington to appear at a Lincoln Memorial remembrance for COVID-19 victims. He will spend the night at Blair House, the president's official guesthouse, before he is sworn in on Wednesday and moves into the White House.

(Reporting by Trevor Hunnicutt in Delaware; Writing by John Whitesides; Editing by Scott Malone and Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-01-20

• Haha 2

Stoicism was the standard for generations of American politicians, many of whom kept physical and emotional troubles under wraps.

Three decades after crying on camera helped sink Edmund Muskie's presidential campaign, signs of emotion are no longer the kiss of death in this age of heart-on-your-sleeve politics.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Give me a break the damn place is a short commute to Washington DC.

Heartless...

From the OP.

Biden thanked friends and family who had gathered to see him off at a National Guard center named after his son Beau - whose death from cancer in 2015 contributed to then-Vice President Biden's decision not to seek the White House in 2016.

"When I die, Delaware will be written on my heart," said Biden, his voice shaking with emotion.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

Today the US will join the world again. 

The idiot his rule is done. Lost in the senate too. The Democrats can push their legislation through and not worry too much.

Can't be worse as Trump his reign of lies. 

Agree with most, except the dems don't have enough of a majority to get all the legislation passed.  Still some nutter members of the GOP left who will fight the dems no matter what.  Even if it's done to help the economy and to save lives.  Horrible politicians.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sujo said:

And in a final infantile act trump, going against tradition, refused to ok a govt plane to take president elect from delaware to dc.

What a baby.

Yup, despite Trump being afforded all the usual trappings back in 2017. What a.........!!

https://www.al.com/news/2017/01/watch_president-elect_trump_me.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sirineou said:

Something that some might not know is that Beau Biden  

"When Beau Biden realized that he was going to die amid a battle with brain cancer earlier this year, he sat down with his father and asked him to make a promise: Run for president in 2016. "

https://www.businessinsider.com/beau-biden-joe-to-run-for-president-2015-8

Joe Biden sited many reasons why he did not run in 2016 but I am convinced that when Obama won the nomination eight years earlier, he made a deal with the Clintons that if they threw the support of the Clinton machine behind him, Hillary would get the nomination after Obama's term was over. 

After Biden's stelar performance as Obama's VP it was certainly his turn. 

I think that is another reason why this win was do emotional for Joe Biden. 

For  "WHAT IF"  scenarios, I had thought about one intriguing one while reading a TIME Magazine commentary article pinpointing the current USA issue to three major points : Race, Capitalism, Tech Media ,  rather than the Trump figure. 

About your take.   What if Biden decided running in 2015,  Showdown in 2016 would be Trump Vs Biden.   Likelihood was Biden won in 2016 and took over in 2017.

About my take.    What if Trump NOT running in 2015,  Showdown in 2016 would be Ted Cruz Vs Hillary Clinton.   Likelihood was Ted Cruz won in 2016 and took over in 2017.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BonnieandClyde said:

Stoicism was the standard for generations of American politicians, many of whom kept physical and emotional troubles under wraps.

Three decades after crying on camera helped sink Edmund Muskie's presidential campaign, signs of emotion are no longer the kiss of death in this age of heart-on-your-sleeve politics.

Times change.

It would be hard to imagine a president like Kennedy crying in public.

The lack of self-control that was so damaging to Muskie during his campaign might be a plus in Biden’s case.

Politics aside, there is a time and place for everything.

Crying is something best done among family and close friends. Anyone who does it on camera is either an emotional basket-case or playing to the gallery.

• Like 1