Visa Exempt from USA currently not possible?

Hi all.  Quick question, or really just a check to make sure I'm not completely stupid --

Per the Consulate in Los Angeles "COE and Visa FAQ", persons in the USA can't go to Thailand:

Due to a high number of infection rate, 
    – the APEC card holders and the applicants who are currently in the USA or will be traveling to 
      Thailand from the US and 
    – those who wish to obtain Special Tourist Visa (STV) 
      do not fall under the categories that could enter Thailand at the moment, 
      please check back regularly for any updates.

Source: https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/faq_non-thai/

I assume there are exceptions, i.e. visas you could acquire, and I also assume Visa Exempt would not be possible.

Am I missing something?

Context: US citizen / German resident trying to decide whether to deal with going back to Germany or just try to get to Thailand directly from California.

I was eyeing SFO SIN BKK flights earlier today but this info implies I have to go back to cold, dark, locked-down, completely disorganized Berlin first and sit out my totally not at all controlled quarantine.  Even if I can get a visa from LA, the >= 15d turnaround burns the time advantage and I might as well stare at the walls in Berlin.  Visa Exempt is still available there:

http://german.thaiembassy.de/bekanntmachung-der-koniglich-thailandischen-botschaft-uber-einreisebestimmungen-fur-deutsche-und-auslander-die-zu-touristischen-zwecken-nach-thailand-reisen-mochten

Thanks Joe.

Weird that both of these are linked on the front page of the consulate, but indeed the more favorable one is linked first!

Based on reports in this forum I am guessing the COE part is not 15 days, but rather a few, so in principle if I get on it I ought to be able to arrange everything and fly in two weeks.

Then after 15 days of quarantine I have 30 + 30 to arrange a longer-term visa (as per my other topic in which you generously assisted).

Hmm, now I just have to figure out whether my other business in Germany can be put off till June.

Except that you don't want to cut it too short.  For instance, I had my ASQ booked and I posted my ASQ confirmation letter.  Unfortunately, the ASQ put the wrong departure date on my confirmation letter so I was denied the first time.  I contacted the ASQ and they sent me a new letter.  I reposted this new letter but got denied again because I think I posted it in the wrong area of the application.  This went around and around for a week before they gave me a link to email the ASQ letter to them.  It was really nerve racking as I didn't get my final confirmation until 2 days before my flight was to leave.  I was sweating bullets there for a while as the flight and ASQ were allready paid for.   Anything can happen so give yourself some breathing room.

OP,

The US travel alert is still in effect. There currently is no STV short term Visas or Visa Exempt available. 

The Emergency decree has been extended to February 28th, and until the government stabalizes with domestic travel and/or restrictions.....only International  long term visas or returning of non-thai residents is just beginning.  

Having talked to several LTV's  and PR's it is a very trying process, not to even mention Quarrentine. 

Rolling the dice with multiple government (German, USA, or Thai) agencies, health accredited medical services, and large financially strapped airlines is problematic at best.

Happy Hunting

7 minutes ago, Bradmeister said:

The US travel alert is still in effect. There currently is no STV short term Visas or Visa Exempt available. 

The Emergency decree has been extended to February 28th, and until the government stabalizes with domestic travel and/or restrictions.....only International  long term visas or returning of non-thai residents is just beginning.  

Misleading information at best. There are plenty people from all over the world currently/on the way to quarantine on numerous types of visa including people visa exempt.

32 minutes ago, Bradmeister said:

That is false info. From the the Thai embassy in the US. https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

"As one of the Countries listed for Visa Exemption and Visa on Arrival, U.S. Passport Holders are not required to obtain a visa when entering Thailand for tourism purposes and will be permitted to stay in Thailand for a period not exceeding 45 days** on each visit (**Previous permitted period of stay was 30 days; the extension to 45 days will be in effect until 30 September 2021) or 15-day stays if arriving by land-crossing. However please note that with the visa exemption scheme, travelers still need to obtain the Certificate of Entry (COE) in order to enter Thailand. Please check here for more information."

And for the STV.

"For Tourism purposes (Visa exemption scheme, Tourist visa TR – single entry only and Special Tourist visa -STV)  (click here for more information) "

On 1/19/2021 at 10:59 PM, ubonjoe said:

It should not take long to have your COE approved since you do not have to apply for a visa.

If you already have flights, ASQ reservation and etc ready to enter when you apply it should not take very long.

"Long" being a relative term. I sent in my "step 1" copy of passport and proof of Covid-19 insurance and it was accepted and approved same day! Then on the same day, 11 Jan (this month) sent in my airline confirmation and ASQ hotel confirmation and at this very moment...nearly 10 days since getting the e-mail stating they had received those documents...SILENCE. Still waiting for approval. "Not long" to me would be within 3-4 days. This is not...IMO..."not long". I'm up against the clock now...again. If do not get COE by end of tomorrow (Friday 22nd), then will have cancel everything and start all over. For the THIRD time! 

@FalangTingTong my mistake was thinking that anything Thai could be ever done in a reasonable amount of time. I know better than this, but when they approved step 1 on the same day, fell into the same ol' trap of thinking they had finally gotten their $hit together. NOT the case. FAIR WARNING: Don't be in a big hurry and leave adequate time for those on "Thai Time". If I have to start over again...will leave a full month until my flight and ASQ begin. 

image.png.1b47fe071f030c94ce23ea9e5918d35a.png

24 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

If I have to start over again...will leave a full month until my flight and ASQ begin. 

Where are you applying from? Based on reports looks like the Brits are getting a really fast turnaround but certain places in the States are holding on until 2 or 3 days before the flight.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Where are you applying from? Based on reports looks like the Brits are getting a really fast turnaround but certain places in the States are holding on until 2 or 3 days before the flight.

USA...Thai Embassy Washington DC.

2-3 days prior to flight is ridiculous, as have to book and pay for the limited appointments for RT-PCR (same day/next day result) test and Fit to Fly certificate within 72 hours of departure. Not easy to locate either of them here and impossible to just walk in and get it. Everything has to be scheduled in advance. Of course you and I and everyone else knows all this...everyone but the Thais, that is.

But still a chance then! Still holding on to a sliver of hope, but absolutely zero confidence in anything concerning Thailand "officialdom". 

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

USA...Thai Embassy Washington DC.

Seems to be others on here with same issue and same place. See this post and a couple of posts after it: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1197307-coe-brick-wall/?do=findComment&comment=16181844

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

2-3 days prior to flight is ridiculous

The post above with a reply from the Embassy says "at least 3 days", pretty sure I read someone got it 2 days before somewhere.

No worries.

9 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Fit to Fly certificate

Perhaps worth looking at Dr Donna to alleviate the pressure on the above document if having trouble with it. Online consultation then emailed to you for 400 Bht. But, "she" needs to see your negative RT-PCR test. 

1841549413_131389520_10158233923989608_5559427257914872371_o-jpg-10801329-.png.d5b3dc046a9e3b7195e520f774e6d867.png

Bangkok based but has been used with no issues by people coming from all over the world (ignore the UK in the targeted ad).

59 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

If I have to start over again...will leave a full month until my flight and ASQ begin. 

However...based on another thread link below, seems that Thai Embassy in USA is waiting until the last minute to issue COE regardless how much time they are given. So...don't know what to do or think now.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1197307-coe-brick-wall/?do=findComment&comment=16181844

5 minutes ago, Salerno said:

But, "she" needs to see your negative RT-PCR test. 

Which makes no sense at all, since one has nothing to do with the other. Both are required separately to be allowed on the flight and for entry into Thailand. Many places here are stating the same, yet even the TWO different fit to fly examples on the Thai Embassy Wash DC website don't mention anything about negative RT-PCR test result. 

That said...that is a great price and service, but not knowing until 2 days before doesn't leave much time at all to coordinate with her, especially with the time difference. Also...my luck it would be some Buddhist holiday, her day off or other BS. Passport Health will do Fit to Fly here for $50 without negative test. About an hour drive from my current dwelling. Also an online medical facility in California that will do it last minute without negative test for $200. That's my back up. 

It just shouldn't be this difficult. Can't imagine anyone ever putting up with all this Thai red tape and tedious BS, anxiety, expense and unacceptable extensive wait times voluntarily. Thailand is not worth any of it anymore...but my life and loved ones there are. 

Yes, there are fairly significant hoops to jump through. "Normal" tourist would have to be mad, people with family like yourself or those heading over for a decent length of stay, just have to put up with it I guess. On the plus side, you're nearly done with it from the looks of things and soon be jetting back to your family.

3 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

That said...that is a great price and service, but not knowing until 2 days before doesn't leave much time at all to coordinate with her, especially with the time difference.

Actually just been reading about her service again in a group I've been following (even though it's FB which I don't actually use) someone got the FTF even before the consultation 5555. The group is actually an excellent resource, first-hand reports and reviews/videos/pics of ASQ hotels from people in quarantine and helpful advice re all things getting back to Thailand. Worth a read, particularly for those that aren't as far advanced as yourself. If you're wondering what the food is like at the hotel you've booked under ASQ circumstances you may well find reviews and pics https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

Yes, there are fairly significant hoops to jump through. "Normal" tourist would have to be mad, people with family like yourself or those heading over for a decent length of stay, just have to put up with it I guess. On the plus side, you're nearly done with it from the looks of things and soon be jetting back to your family.

Actually just been reading about her service again in a group I've been following (even though it's FB which I don't actually use) someone got the FTF even before the consultation 5555. The group is actually an excellent resource, first-hand reports and reviews/videos/pics of ASQ hotels from people in quarantine and helpful advice re all things getting back to Thailand. Worth a read, particularly for those that aren't as far advanced as yourself. If you're wondering what the food is like at the hotel you've booked under ASQ circumstances you may well find reviews and pics https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884.

Thanks for all the info! Truly appreciate it. That is hilarious about the FTF before consultation! 555 now that is Typically Thai!!! Just found another place online here which states that Fit-to-Fly for Thailand doesn't require the negative test result and for only $75, as opposed to the other place for $200. Think I'll use this one. It's an official Tele-heath facility.

My ASQ is booked at Solitaire Bangkok Sukhumvit. It's $1500 and they have already sent the menu with meal choices. Fortunately they offer veg choices. Was worried I might be fasting for 15 days! 

27 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

My ASQ is booked at Solitaire Bangkok Sukhumvit.

A guy did a pretty cool video from there: https://www.facebook.com/561763850/videos/10159139841213851/

Getting good write ups from the looks of it including the food, don't think I've seen full on vegetarian review/pics though.

27 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

That is hilarious about the FTF before consultation! 555 now that is Typically Thai!!!

Yeah, had a chuckle at that one. Dr Donna is actually a Bangkok based Brit, no doubt making a few Bht out of this but doing a good service for people trying to get back so I certainly can't begrudge her, and pretty damn cheap compared to our options in our own countries. Your $75 option still a bit of a rip off for what it is but sure beats $200!

Archived