Was Thailand ever the number 1 country to retire to because its not now

superal

On 1/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, lovethai123 said:

Major indian cities may have a traffic issue during rush hours, india is a crowded place, 

but a lot of westerners live in Goa and enjoy there lives.

image.thumb.png.7f1e4ec1a07d432926fff818ce7959c8.png
image.thumb.png.750ba19e1638b14c93c0e51f684e32b8.png

image.thumb.png.87e5d64c860c92c9c159a8c83d5da894.png
To each their own, Goa isn't a place I would ever consider a retirement place.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 2:45 PM, superal said:

Had a chat with a friend who said the Philippines was the number 1 country to retire to but after a Google search that was not the case and Thailand nowhere close on the list  . There are many links for info but the attached covers most aspects .

https://internationalliving.com/the-best-places-to-retire/

Philippines is ok if you love annual Typhoons and bad weather.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

After 12 years i was happily living in Thailand on my O-A visa but now all that has been disbanded and due to my age i am unable to get the required insurance, although i never got married i do have a family a partner of 8 years and a foster daughter aged 7.  I went back to OZ for a short visit first getting a re entry permit with 6 months still on my O-A but the borders were closed. Now i will never be able to get back to my beloved little family.  How cruel can some governments be !

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, andy said:

Just wait for it, next post someone will spout off the usual nonsense claiming they can't find a drink in Malaysia, or that all Malaysians are big meanie Muslims that hate westerners, or that talking to a woman in Malaysia will get you thrown in jail.  It never fails on Thaivisa ????

Lack of Bacon sandwiches worry me.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've read some places near there aren't bad?  Would love to visit some day.

My ship anchored near Goa 5 yrs ago, too many little professional beggars, what little I saw was dirty and crowded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Huckenfell said:

After 12 years i was happily living in Thailand on my O-A visa but now all that has been disbanded and due to my age i am unable to get the required insurance, although i never got married i do have a family a partner of 8 years and a foster daughter aged 7.  I went back to OZ for a short visit first getting a re entry permit with 6 months still on my O-A but the borders were closed. Now i will never be able to get back to my beloved little family.  How cruel can some governments be !

Oz borders are NOT closed to everyone. Just apply for leave of 3months at the proper government department and you will be allowed out. Your passport will also verify that most of your time is abroad, a lease or deeds will further strengthen but not really needed

10 hours ago, andy said:

Just wait for it, next post someone will spout off the usual nonsense claiming they can't find a drink in Malaysia, or that all Malaysians are big meanie Muslims that hate westerners, or that talking to a woman in Malaysia will get you thrown in jail.  It never fails on Thaivisa ????

20 million muzzies and get ready to convert if you want to marry one... That's a fact. Also sharia law is still practiced. 

Allah akbarrrrrrr ????

On 1/22/2021 at 1:38 PM, Leaver said:

I am one of the well travelled, but many came here for a holiday, kept coming back here for a holiday, never went anywhere else for a holiday, then met a Thai girl, then went to Issan to meet her family, then retired here.

Be honest.  Do you know anyone like that?  I do.  

Yes...........me

That “expat report” guy on YouTube is hilarious. I remember when he had a thai girlfriend and was living in Thailand. He was a self proclaimed expert on living successfully in Thailand. Then his thai gf gave him the boot and now he spends all his time slagging Thailand off

Edited by LeeUklondon
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

To each their own, Goa isn't a place I would ever consider a retirement place.

people seeking cheap sex and a "rented-  girlfriend" wont find it a good place.

nobody asked  u to consider and i cant find an "indian retirement visa"  for farangs. 

All I could find online was tourist visas with max 180 days stay. 

so may be they dont want you there  . coz if they wanted they would lure you with retirement visas and condo investments. 

India has been a place for those who seek spiritual enlightenment. And certainly those who frequent Thailand won't "consider" going there. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, LeeUklondon said:

That “expat report” guy on YouTube is hilarious. I remember when he had a thai girlfriend and was living in Thailand. He was a self proclaimed expert on living successfully in Thailand. Then his thai gf gave him the boot and now he spends all his time slagging Thailand off

lot of things he says are true though. 

On 21/01/2021 at 11:16 PM, lovethai123 said:

I would love to eat filipino cuisine. They speak very good english. and u can talk to them about anything, watch YT vids with them too unlike the thai cuisine

had a colombian cuisine in walking street once, bit shy, had too much plastic inside and was overpriced, 

Philippine food is actually rather horrible: lots of oil and congealed cold gravy, with strange mismatched flavours. The only good food are things that are unchanged like fresh fruit, barbecued fish and piglet. It's my least favourite in the entire region. 

In the western world, there are hardly any Philippine restaurants to be found. There's a good reason for that.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Philippine food is actually rather horrible: lots of oil and congealed cold gravy, with strange mismatched flavours. The only good food are things that are unchanged like fresh fruit, barbecued fish and piglet. It's my least favourite in the entire region. 

In the western world, there are hardly any Philippine restaurants to be found. There's a good reason for that.

u didnt quite get what i said. 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:41 AM, Pro1Expat said:

I assume you don't really like Thailand, would that be a fair comment?

3 reasons for not like Thailand

1. Burned

2. Burned

3. Burned

Personal as practical reasons are  useal and economical reasons. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/21/2021 at 7:27 PM, Pro1Expat said:

Thailand is as good or as bad, as cheap or as expensive as you make it. It depends upon your life style. Thailand used to be a lot cheaper but is now getting more expensive. 

Exactly. 

If you want the family, the house, SUV, etc it won't come cheap. 

If you are single, happy with modest accommodation, don't need 8 pints and a p4p lady every day it can be very affordable. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rott said:

Exactly. 

If you want the family, the house, SUV, etc it won't come cheap. 

If you are single, happy with modest accommodation, don't need 8 pints and a p4p lady every day it can be very affordable. 

Spain used to be cheap to, and thats how it is going with countries that will expand on tourism and foreign expats who want to invest and retire. 

Will Phillippines, Cambodia or Vietnam become of same interest? Someone mentioned Sri Lanka, but I really cant see that will happen in a dekade that they will replace Thailand! 

I truly believe we will start to look around in our own backyards the next few decades, since the money is not the same, and the world is not the same anymore, and will never be again. 

• Like 1

An American publication aimed at American retirees and naturally weighted towards countries close to home where the dollar is still king and airfares back home in emergencies are cheap.

The list is heavily based on opinions of people who have made the choice to live in a particular location and who naturally expound the virtues of their choice. The ranking chart does allocate points on various indices in each country,  while at the same time dismissing this data in favour of individual opinion. 

"Our index is informed by hundreds of opinions and real-life experiences—information—compiled by our trusted sources in the best retirement destinations across the globe. 

Our sources are living in the places where they’re gathering their intelligence. And we trust their judgment. If they say the healthcare is good, or that a meal for two in a nice restaurant costs $20, then we believe them."

How much of this opinion comes from or applies to other nationalities?

Some things don't add up. Why is Portugal at #5, a couple of points from the top, marked down in the visa category.  Last year the same publication ranked Portugal #1 and said this:

"U.S. citizens can retire in Portugal with relative ease. The most common visa for U.S. and Canadian citizens looking to live in Portugal is the Type 1 visa. This visa is issues to persons who intend to reside in Portugal permanently for retirement among other reasons."

What has changed in a year, an individuals opinion based a personal bad experience? (Actually, looking at this list again, it seems they mark countries down in the visa/residence category based on distance from the US!) 

This publication's income relies on pricey subscriptions paid by their patrons and the even costlier sales of items from their bookstore. These sort of press releases are designed to excite interest, and subscriptions, in their business, and should be looked at with suspicion.

There is no #1 retirement place suitable for all retirees. We all have differing priorities. Some list the availability of fit women, others Mexican food, and at least one here ranks female head coverings as their priority.

There are a few common denominators, such as COL, visas and healthcare, but individuals have thousands of different wants, needs, resources, etc.  All we can do is research all data (including opinions) and go with the place that ticks the most boxes for our personal situation.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:30 AM, dbrenn said:

I'm not saying that Pinoy food is as good as Thai. Nobody is saying that. But I find all the hate directed at their food to be lazy and annoying. I've enjoyed very wonderful Pinoy food. On my one visit there yes it was a challenge to find the good stuff but I did indeed find some. Also perhaps ironically the good stuff was much easier to find at their restaurants in the U.S  where there are large populations of Filipinos. Plus of course home cooking at parties etc. Overall I think their food is underrated.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not saying that Pinoy food is as good as Thai. Nobody is saying that. But I find all the hate directed at their food to be lazy and annoying. I've enjoyed very wonderful Pinoy food. On my one visit there yes it was a challenge to find the good stuff but I did indeed find some. Also perhaps ironically the good stuff was much easier to find at their restaurants in the U.S  where there are large populations of Filipinos. Plus of course home cooking at parties etc. Overall I think their food is underrated.

I travelled only Cebu island, and I did not find any good local restaurants, and hardly any good restaurants at all (outside city)

But a ladyfriend used to cook for me, and she knew how to make good food, so I guess I would survive there to ????

The only thing that kept me back from moving to Phil, is the long travel from where I work and partly lived before covid arrived. 

18 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I travelled only Cebu island, and I did not find any good local restaurants, and hardly any good restaurants at all (outside city)

But a ladyfriend used to cook for me, and she knew how to make good food, so I guess I would survive there to ????

The only thing that kept me back from moving to Phil, is the long travel from where I work and partly lived before covid arrived. 

The best Pinoy meal I ever had was at a seafood restaurant just outside Cebu City on Mactan Island. Yes undoubtedly its a much bigger effort to get good stuff there than in Thailand but it does exist. 

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The best Pinoy meal I ever has was at a seafood restaurant just outside Cebu City on Mactan Island. Yes undoubtedly its a much bigger effort to get good stuff there than in Thailand but it does exist. 

I stayed mostly at Mactan and Moalboal. Liked Moalboal alot more than Cebu city and Mactan. Nice slow living and small place with some few decent restaurants and disco one day a week. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There are always going to be exceptions to any rule - the odd half decent dish here and there, and it's a matter of personal taste. Freshly barbecued lapu lapu and lechon are good by any measure. 

That said, Philippine food in general is pretty ghastly, which is probably why nobody outside the Philippines eats it, except homesick Filipinos & Filipinas - for instance, a Google maps search reveals only 15  Philippine food outlets in the entire Greater Sydney area. A city of over 5 million people. Nobody likes it, because it tastes disgusting. 

Edited by dbrenn

3 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

There are always going to be exceptions to any rule - the odd half decent dish here and there, and it's a matter of personal taste. Freshly barbecued lapu lapu and lechon are good by any measure. 

That said, Philippine food in general is pretty ghastly, which is probably why nobody outside the Philippines eats it, except homesick Filipinos & Filipinas - for instance, a Google maps search reveals only 15  Philippine food outlets in the entire Greater Sydney area. A cosmopolitan city of over 5 million people. Nobody likes it, because it tastes disgusting. 

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The best Pinoy meal I ever had was at a seafood restaurant just outside Cebu City on Mactan Island. Yes undoubtedly its a much bigger effort to get good stuff there than in Thailand but it does exist. 

Seafood, steamed or barbecued, unaltered, you can't go wrong. Things fall apart when they add their vile sauces, stodgy gravy and seasoning. Yuck.

Edited by dbrenn

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

That said, Philippine food in general is pretty ghastly, which is probably why nobody outside the Philippines eats it, except homesick Filipinos & Filipinas - for instance, a Google maps search reveals only 15  Philippine food outlets in the entire Greater Sydney area. A city of over 5 million people. Nobody likes it, because it tastes disgusting. 

Nobody huh?

https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/best-restaurants-in-washington-dc