As he leaves office, Trump pardons former top strategist Bannon

webfact

54 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I would like to see Biden to commit to no pardons during his administration......set the standard.

Totally agree. These pardons are now and forever tainted and have been totally Mugabe'd by Trump.

But Joe should rescind the practice only AFTER Trump has been found guilty.

• Like 2

It was always about protecting the 14 foot alligators they filled the Trump swamp with. Manafort, Kelly, Stone, Bannon. How many others? 

At least Rudy got left out in the cold, with a shattered reputation, no legacy remaining and few prospects.

Talk about a radioactive name. I suppose his $45 million fortune, made representing mostly corrupt men will help. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, these Presidential pardons are neither an item of the Constitution or set in US law. It has simply become a custom that up until now, hasn't been so rudely abused.

It actually comes from  Article II, Section 2, Clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution. The reason I threw "laws" into the mix is some pardons/commuting of sentences do address somewhat overzealous sentencing or even miscarriages of justice e.g. one that on the face of it Trump got right (or at least the committee did) a certain Jaime A. Davidson that got fitted up for a cop killing "Although Mr. Davidson has been incarcerated for nearly 29 years, the admitted shooter has already been released from prison."  To be in the position to get fitted up would suggest he's not exactly a squeaky clean innocent citizen but justice should be ... just.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I imagine Steve Bannon will have a lot of dirt on Trump. There is a reason why Trump is nice to that guy.

And now if Bannon is called as a witness in Trump trial, he cannot claim 5th amendment right against self incrimination and will have to testify. If he doesn't he can be indefinitely jailed for contempt of court & if he lies, he could be tried for perjury, neither of which Trump could pardon him for.

• Like 2