As he leaves office, Trump pardons former top strategist Bannon

webfact

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Great move by Trump. Bannon is a master strategist. He was one of the architects of the successful MAGA movement that got minorities back into work, got the economy back on track, all the historic peace deals in the ME etc. I envisage Trump and Bannon teaming up to create a new media platform. One that welcomes free speech and champions America and American people. This will be a wonderful new era, can't wait to see it all roll out and lead up to the 2022 midterms. 

If it really welcomes free speech it will be good for the majority. Trump and Bannon won't like that.

• Like 1

A post has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

6 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I don't understand why this pardon system even exists? What other Western democracy has an equivalent system?

It's in the Constitution.  Often overlooked is that governors also have the power to pardon, but to a lesser degree.  And yes, other countries have the pardon system as well...including Thailand. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

It's in the Constitution.  Often overlooked is that governors also have the power to pardon, but to a lesser degree.  And yes, other countries have the pardon system as well...including Thailand. 

Thanks....but that doesn't explain why it exists....just that it does.

I can't imagine a system like that in the UK where politicians commit crimes during office or have other people commit crime for them and then......Oh!.....there you go......here's your pardon.....that's just mental.

• Like 2

On 1/20/2021 at 7:50 AM, ExpatOK said:

Great that Trump pardoned Bannon. Steve deserved one without a doubt. Lots of political prosecution going on.

"“So just to recap: Trump will pardon Lil Wayne, Kodak Black, high profile Jewish fraudsters … No pardons for middle class whites who risked their livelihoods by going to ‘war’ for Trump,” fumed a user in a white supremacist channel on Telegram, the encrypted messaging service that has gained thousands of new subscribers since the Jan. 6 Capitol riots."

Trump leaves QAnon and the online MAGA world crushed and confused - POLITICO

I was disappointed that Trump didn't pardon the Tiger King star, that would have been great ????

with Trump particular taste for YMCA, the gun nut redneck gay man was the perfect candidate to be pardoned, LGBT, gun nuts, "deplorables" united in one person ????

Edited by GrandPapillon
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Surelynot said:

I don't understand why this pardon system even exists? What other Western democracy has an equivalent system?

I do not know of how other Western democracies dealing with injustices that take place within their justice system. I am only aware of the documented injustices, over time, within the American justice system. It is a shame that, after independent citizens sitting as a Grand Jury hear evidence and decide that a trial is warranted and that a separate independent citizen constituted Trial Jury hears the evidence and the Defense, they can still declare the Innocent to be guilty but , this happens. If researching any pardon system, I would first look to England as we Americans adopted their Grand and Trial jury system in large measure. Ah, you got me curious. Not surprising, Queen Elizabeth pardoned Alan Turing and the power of the pardon is common.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme

A 71-year-old supporter of President Donald Trump was reportedly shocked when Trump recently commuted the 40-year sentence of a man who stole his life savings in a Ponzi scheme.

Kimball Pugmire, who supported the outgoing president and voted for him in 2016 and 2020, told the Tampa Bay Times that he was forced to question Trump's honesty after learning that the president had granted clemency Wednesday to "lifetime crook" Fred Davis Clark Jr., who was sentenced to decades behind bars in 2016 after defrauding nearly 1,400 investors out of a combined $300 million.

"I had been trying to forget all this, but it makes you wonder, even being a Trump supporter, about his honesty," Pugmire told the paper.

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme (newsweek.com)

It took this to make him wonder about Trump's honesty? No wonder he fell for a Ponzi scheme.

I guess there's gold in them there pardons.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme

A 71-year-old supporter of President Donald Trump was reportedly shocked when Trump recently commuted the 40-year sentence of a man who stole his life savings in a Ponzi scheme.

Kimball Pugmire, who supported the outgoing president and voted for him in 2016 and 2020, told the Tampa Bay Times that he was forced to question Trump's honesty after learning that the president had granted clemency Wednesday to "lifetime crook" Fred Davis Clark Jr., who was sentenced to decades behind bars in 2016 after defrauding nearly 1,400 investors out of a combined $300 million.

"I had been trying to forget all this, but it makes you wonder, even being a Trump supporter, about his honesty," Pugmire told the paper.

Trump Supporter Shocked Over Clemency of 'Crook' Who Stole His Life Savings in Ponzi Scheme (newsweek.com)

It took this to make him wonder about Trump's honesty? No wonder he fell for a Ponzi scheme.

Interesting case.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-politics/2021/01/19/trump-commutes-40-year-sentence-of-clearwater-ponzi-scheme-operator/

The guy was involved in real estate related fraud in Florida. Surprising?

Also an interesting quote from the article:

"Trump’s commutation did not wipe out the $179 million in restitution Clark is still obligated to pay, but Pastorius did not answer whether he intends to pay it." ????

44 minutes ago, GrandPapillon said:

well if the guy is in jail, he couldn't pay back the people he defrauded, so now he will be haunted by the victims

I'm sure that's why he pushed to get out of prison. Because nothing could be worse than being haunted by the victims...except being in prison.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

I was disappointed that Trump didn't pardon the Tiger King star, that would have been great ????

with Trump particular taste for YMCA, the gun nut redneck gay man was the perfect candidate to be pardoned, LGBT, gun nuts, "deplorables" united in one person ????

Stunning you support a guy who tried to hire someone to kill another.  Shows the mentality of Trump's supporters.  Amazing.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/tiger-king-joe-exotic-went-to-jail-for-more-than-one-crime.html/

It follows the bizarre events that led the 57-year-old to plan the murder-for-hire scheme that landed him in prison. But that wasn’t the only crime he was convicted of. Here’s a list of crimes that sent Joe Exotic to jail.

• Sad 1

So much for being a law and order president.  He just ignored it all.  Horrible person and a bigly liar.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/us/politics/trump-pardons-medicare-fraud.html

For Prosecutors, Trump’s Clemency Decisions Were a ‘Kick in the Teeth’

Commutations in high-profile Medicare fraud cases have elicited anger among those who spent years pursuing complex prosecutions.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

well if the guy is in jail, he couldn't pay back the people he defrauded, so now he will be haunted by the victims

He can never repay or redeem his misdeeds anyway, assuming he wanted to, which is doubtful. He should be morally haunted by his own actions regardless of the victims. 

14 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

He can never repay or redeem his misdeeds anyway, assuming he wanted to, which is doubtful. He should be morally haunted by his own actions regardless of the victims. 

Like Trump, they could care less about anyone other than themselves, or those who help them make money and get power.  Horrible people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1