Thailand reports huge drop in new COVID-19 infections

webfact

One death, 59 new cases – the first day Covid infections are down to two digits since outbreak in Dec

By The Nation

800_893f2180faf92a8.jpg?v=1611120504

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Wednesday reported 59 new cases and one death in the past 24 hours, including eight asymptomatic people who flew in from abroad.

Of the new cases, 28 were exposed to the virus while visiting high-risk areas. The province with the highest number of infections is Bangkok (10), followed by Samut Sakhon (7).

One of the cases involves a woman aged 51, who was detected in Nakhon Panom but actually got infected after visiting a relative in Bangkok.

Proactive testing led to the discovery of 23 other cases – 20 in Samut Sakhon and three among migrant workers in Bangkok.

CCSA deputy spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangsan said a female driver aged 48 in Tak province showed various Covid symptoms around December 15-16. She was confirmed positive on December 27. She passed away on January 18 after failing to respond to treatment.

Of the returnees, four are Thai nationals, one each from the United States, Malaysia, India and Germany. Also testing positive is an Icelander, a Pakistani, an American, and a Japanese, who flew in from their respective nations.

Meanwhile, 265 patients have recovered and been discharged.

As of Wednesday, the number of confirmed cases in Thailand has risen to 12,653. Of these, 10,343 contracted the virus domestically, including 4,130 who were found via proactive testing, and 2,310 are returnees. So far, 9,621 have recovered and been discharged, 2,961 patients are still in hospital and the death toll has increased to 71.

According to Worldometer, as of midnight on Tuesday, the number of confirmed cases globally has risen to 96.62 million (increasing by 585,749), 69.27 million have recovered, 25.28 million are active cases (112,171 in severe condition) and 2.07 million have died (up by 14,675).

Thailand ranks 128th on the global list of most cases. The US tops the list with 24.8 million, followed by India 10.6 million, Brazil 8.58 million, Russia 3.61 million and the United Kingdom 3.47 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401517

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-20

• Haha 1

Just now, Cake Monster said:

There are so many reports of People asking to be tested for Covid, and the hospitals are just refusing to test.

A largely "Fly by the seat of your Pants "attitude IMO

Sure the West isnt looking at all good right now.

Yeah, I've got 2 friends who were quite sick and were refused a test.  They didn't fit the "model". And were told test kits were in short supply.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I am older but no underlying conditions so in my mind, I think I could beat it.

But, when I hear about this 48 year old dying it does give pause to the uncertainty and possibilities.

I'm the same as you. However, you don't have to be 'old' to have underlying symptoms. For instance many relatively young people are diabetics here. A friend of mine attends the diabetics clinic at the military hospital. He told me he was quite shocked at the young age of many of the attendees.

So take heart and you'll have no problems. IMO a positive mindset is our most important weapon.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I've got 2 friends who were denied covid tests because they didn't fit the "model".  I guess they are short on tests.

Both were quite sick.

I can't say anything about government or municipal hospitals testing, although I do know that one such hospital in Chiang Mai offers free testing to Thais, most, if not all, private hospitals offer tests for payment, which varies from one hospital to another.

• Like 2