Thailand reports huge drop in new COVID-19 infections

webfact

6 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I can't say anything about government or municipal hospitals testing, although I do know that one such hospital in Chiang Mai offers free testing to Thais, most, if not all, private hospitals offer tests for payment, which varies from one hospital to another.

Both were Thai ladies.  One was turned down by several government hospitals in Bangkok.  One was turned down by a private hospital.  One didn't have money to afford a private hospital, the other did.  Insane.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Petey11 said:

MOPH website figures, 15-16 January just over 100 tests recorded. Subtract 15th Jan totals from 16th Jan totals gives rise of 118 tests I believe.

https://floridanewstimes.com/thailand-expands-factory-virus-testing/80495/

Bangkok-Thai officials say they plan to expand coronavirus testing to thousands of factories in states near Bangkok. This is because we reported 365 new cases and 1 new death nationwide.

Taweesilp Visanuyothin, a spokesman for the COVID-19 Coordination Center, said he plans to test workers at more than 10,000 factories in Samut Sakhon, of which 100 factories each have more than 500 employees.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

There are so many reports of People asking to be tested for Covid, and the hospitals are just refusing to test.

A largely "Fly by the seat of your Pants "attitude IMO

Sure the West isnt looking at all good right now.

Not if your a patient just got mine , Negative 

It’s either good or bad!

depends on where you sit with the folks who do the reporting and the testing.

Then there is the possibility of it not really even spreading (yet) 

it would be absolutely astonishing if this continued to be the case (truth) moving forward !!

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, graemeaylward said:

What is the "magic formula" that Thailand has?  Even neighbouring countries are rampant with this plague!  It would appear from the figures issued daily by the government the the Thai variant is a) very mild  b) hardly contagious as it doesn't spread like all other variants, c) disappears as quickly as it comes!  Clearly, with so few tests being done, the figures are meaningless.  What would be interesting would be to compare the numbers of folks, particularly elderly, who have died, with previous years, for the each month.  I remember someone posting the increase in the number of deaths of people diagnosed with "viral pneumonia" early last year at the beginning of the crisis and would be interested to see if the trend continued.

Google is your friend, Sir... ????  13,171 people died of viral pneumonia in Thailand during 2010 - A quite typical year with no Pandemic in progress.

Pneumonia is a problem across all ages in Thailand - There is no conspiracy theory going on here.

For your referrence, here is the report "Burden of Adult Pneumonia in Thailand: A Nationwide Hospital Admission Data 2010" 

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Wipa_Reechaipichitkul/publication/264833593_Burden_of_adult_Pneumonia_in_Thailand_A_nationwide_hospital_admission_data_2010/links/5536416a0cf268fd00164b61/Burden-of-adult-Pneumonia-in-Thailand-A-nationwide-hospital-admission-data-2010.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Causes of death per year.png

2 hours ago, webfact said:

CCSA deputy spokeswoman Apisamai Srirangsan said a female driver aged 48 in Tak province showed various Covid symptoms around December 15-16. She was confirmed positive on December 27. She passed away on January 18 after failing to respond to treatment.

This is quite young - any health issues?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Exactly...if there were only 59 tests....OMG!!!

It is only the % of positive results on reasonable sample size that has any meaning

Which is roughly 2-3% at the moment - and that's with active case finding, where the chance of a positive resut is higher that in the random population. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Nobody is forcing you to read anything, believe what you want but refrain from the unsubstantiated claims.  

If you have the real numbers why not post them?, we all know why, figments and imagination come to mind.

Unsubstantiated? I think not.

It's a fact that they are not testing outside of the big cities close to BKK.

It's a fact that Thais / migrants / farang have to pay for tests in a hospital.

It's a fact that many people have been arrested in Ubon for illegally transporting illegal migrants from the border to BKK.

It's a fact that people were travelling up and down the country over New Year during the 2nd wave.

It's a fact that those sick migrants they found with COVID had to go shopping for basic neccesities like food, water, entertainment. Amazingly the Thai population seems to be immune. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

New cases - it's people who are to blame because they won't do what they're told by the government!

A low number of new cases - it's the government and its super rapid preventive measures; or a low number of tests; or the angle of how they report about the situation

"Thailand has seen 0 new cases for the 6th consequative minute"

Edited by gafdtomaka366
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I am older but no underlying conditions so in my mind, I think I could beat it.

But, when I hear about this 48 year old dying it does give pause to the uncertainty and possibilities.

If you look at the stats, most people, under 75 with no pre- existing conditions, have no symptoms or very mild symptoms, around 80%, its only a very few, around 3-5 % that have severe symptoms, but of course nobody knows what category you would be in. But the odds are definitely in your favor!

• Like 2

Wow its hard to read some of your posts about Thailand's great job they are doing with Covid and there low numbers, its like everything else in Thailand when its about numbers, they say exactly what is necessary to make them look good nevermind the truth its always about saving face, if you don't test numbers are false, you can't go from having 3/4/ 500 a day and doing nothing and miraculous things get better, its like there daily road toll average 50 deaths per day always false numbers rather than the truth if you do die at the scene its not a road death, God help us and Thailand if they ever tell the truth and the facts.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

If you look at the stats, most people, under 75 with no pre- existing conditions, have no symptoms or very mild symptoms, around 80%, its only a very few, around 3-5 % that have severe symptoms, but of course nobody knows what category you would be in. But the odds are definitely in your favor!

Don't forget the long term consequences. Many who recover are still suffering months later. We just don't know this virus yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gamini said:

well done Thailand but we will see the Thai bashers as usual. Ignorant and tedious

Hardly think point pointing out the flaming obvious flaw in the Thai scenario of excellence being due to lack of testing is either ignorant or tedious. If you pat yourself on the back by selected figures published on worldometer, you expect the 'ignorant and tedious' people to point out what they are awful at to people willing to ignore it !

I read yesterday that it costs around 2000 baht for the test in a public hospital, and much more in a private hospital. Correct me if 'm wrong on the cost factor, but that could explain the low testing rate and consequent low infection figures.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

I'm quite tired of reading these BS numbers, anyone else?

We all know and understand that the government isn't testing for it because it doesn't want to find it.

People in this country can't get tested for the virus without going to a hospital and paying for a test - how many poor / migrant folks do you think are going to spend what little money they have on a test for covid?

We've all noticed that cases only seem to come from the big cities in and around Bangkok, and Chiang Mai. Haven't people been going up and down the country over new year? Haven't they been travelling up and down to buy produce for their market stalls? 

Did these migrant workers, who seem to feature prominently in the daily tally each day, just pop up out of the ground in the major cities? No, they travelled here from the outer provinces. Did these workers not go to a 7/11, market, restaurant to buy food? Apparently not. Apparently they don't drink in bars either.

Amazingly, many folks have been caught transporting migrants from Ubon - BKK, yet we have no cases in Ubon. Truly amazing, there must be something in the air (other than the haze from burning crops) that's protecting us all. Oh no, wait, could it be the lack of testing producing these wonderful results?

Let's just assume that COVID is all over Thailand and act responsibly. Mask up, social distance & laugh at the daily BS in the news.

I think if it hadn't been for migrant workers causing this 'second wave', we'd have never even heard about it and it would still be zero cases every day

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MuayThaiGuy said:

"The test allows you to take a minuscule amount of anything, and make it measurable.. then talk about it as if it was important".

Kary Mullis (PCR test inventor).

Out of context with no bearing on the broad long term use of PCR testing in science and medicine, esp, testing for viruses and genetic material, or the pandemic. Misleading information.

Russian? Ne hao.