New Email Account.

NoshowJones

I have had a Hotmail/Outlook account for years and got fed up with messages in my archives disappearing, I had about six, now they all disappeared all at once.

Anyone tried Fastmail? I know there is a small monthly fee involved, but would anyone recommend it? Thanks.

11 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have had a Hotmail/Outlook account for years and got fed up with messages in my archives disappearing, I had about six, now they all disappeared all at once.

Anyone tried Fastmail? I know there is a small monthly fee involved, but would anyone recommend it? Thanks.

Have you not backed them up?

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I did, but forgot a couple which was my fault, I started backing them up a while back, but feel I should not have to.

Ouch I feel for you but in any case any email you may want in the future needs to be backed up - no matter which one you use

1 minute ago, JoePai said:

Ouch I feel for you but in any case any email you may want in the future needs to be backed up - no matter which one you use

I have never lost anything with Yahoo, but I don't fancy them in other ways, which way would you back them up apart from send them to yahoo, make up my own folder?

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Anyone tried Fastmail? I know there is a small monthly fee involved, but would anyone recommend it?

Can't say I have but until someone pops in with direct experience another option to perhaps think about is registering a domain name with a provider that includes email. Cheapest Fastmail looks like $36 a year for 2GB email storage (plus 1GB file storage), domain registration should be at least half that for around the same email storage with the added benefit of personal email addresses (for daily use just add the account to your phone app and/or use Thunderbird on PC which should have a backup regime already in place.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 3:44 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes, I spent some time with Fastmail a few years back. Not something I'll be doing again... I'm using Outlook for now and have been broadly happy with it, but GMX is pretty good as well...

8 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

Yes, I spent some time with Fastmail a few years back. Not something I'll be doing again... I'm using Outlook for now and have been broadly happy with it, but GMX is pretty good as well...

I have had outlook/hotmail for many years, but it is dreadful for keeping posts in the archives, they just keep disappearing. I will try GMX. Thanks.

I use yahoo and gmail, yahoo for many years.  I did lose some very old emails from yahoo once a few years ago but read somewhere if you put important emails into folders from your inbox they wont be deleted no matter how old.  It has worked for me since.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I have had outlook/hotmail for many years, but it is dreadful for keeping posts in the archives, they just keep disappearing. I will try GMX. Thanks.

You're more than welcome. I keep stuff in the archive as well, I do believe I should check it... fore-warned, as they say...