90-day reporting is a mess??

20 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

But it is recommended to check - especially when entering Thailand - that you were provided with the correct period of time on your permission to stay that you were entitled to.  And if not correct, to point this out to the Imm officer so that it can be corrected on the spot. 

I once got a stamp that allowed me to stay three months on a multiple entry two year visa, halfway into the period. I didn't notice, but on my next 90 day thingie, the local IO caught the miss and corrected it, strangely, I was not arrested and deported on the spot. Nowadays I check and double check after entering at Swampy. On the other hand, I once left the country with a half year overstay and the IO didn't notice, no fines, just a stamp and pass:) I think most IO are decent people at least in the provinces. The horror stories you hear on TV forums mostly emanates from Pattaya, Phuket and Bkk and som specific local place like in Isan or Chiang Mai.

In my post, I just wanted to clarify the distinction between a visa and extension or permission to stay. Many people do not seem to understand how a visa works. I understand the standardized way it is supposed to work, but legally, it is up to the individual IO to allow you to enter the country, but he/she is bound by the regulations of the office of course.

Archived