Thailand’s home internet fastest in the world

webfact

Until last year or the year before I had the so called Wi-Net from TOT. That was 16 mbps, which was "fast" for me at that time. One day I got a visit from TOT and they asked us if we were interested in internet via fiber optics. It was 100 Baht per month cheaper and here speeds up to 300 mbps up and download! I have it now and it works great. No cap like in the US or Australia. Also I have mobile internet which is pretty fast too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Now if only the Thai government would actually make it easier for the country to benefit economically from this superfast internet. Watching YouTube and playing Facebook will not drive the economy. How about using connectivity to encourage businesses and individuals to relocate here? Of course that might require changes in visa and company regulations.

Even worse than both the above mentioned, that childish app Tik Tok is a;ll the craze thee days....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

That might be something to brag about if it didn't go down every day. Speed varies wildly and often requires resetting the cheapo modem. I will say that it's more reliable than the power grid and tastier than the tap water. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Cobblers. 

when I had broadband in the UK i never once had to call them up to find out why my net had gone down, only to be told that an outside cable had been blown down by the wind and they were replacing with a new one ????

or that the reason my connection is slow is that i have an ‘old’ router, even though it was only installed 6 months ago by the ISP themselves.... must pay 1,500 to upgrade to the most recent modem.. 

and never once has adverse weather conditions affected my internet in the UK. Here even if it rains a bit you stand a good chance of your net going down for the evening ????

Occasional fast speeds they may have here, but as usual it is the shocking infrastructure that lets the side down. 

Been using 3BB for over two years and only gone down twice time for about 10 minutes the first time and all day/night the second time. The second time was due to a pole that got in the way of a drunk driver on the main road in our town who decided he did not want people on the internet at home that evening, 5555.  Speed is fibre and currently have  140Mbps download and 100Mbps upload. We use,  Speedtest by Ookla,  https://www.speedtest.net/

to test the connection which goes to Nakhon Si Thamarrat. Been happy with this and pay only 900baht per month (approx  £22).

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Thaijack2014 said:

Until last year or the year before I had the so called Wi-Net from TOT. That was 16 mbps, which was "fast" for me at that time. One day I got a visit from TOT and they asked us if we were interested in internet via fiber optics. It was 100 Baht per month cheaper and here speeds up to 300 mbps up and download! I have it now and it works great. No cap like in the US or Australia. Also I have mobile internet which is pretty fast too.

There's no cap in the U.S. if you're using regular wifi with a laptop. I don't use a data plan on my phone--somewhat redundant for my needs, as the phone also has wifi.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

I use AiS service, generally it's fine but dependent on some peak times it can lag.

Used to be with T.O.T absolute rubbish service... they got booted out.

Used to crash daily...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, DUNROAMIN said:

BS, True vision keep telling me we can get up to 500 megs per second, rarely see over 50 megs. Maybe in Bangkok but definately not in Issan country.

I'm in central Bangkok, and even here True has told me that I can't get over 100mbps in my building.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Cobblers. 

when I had broadband in the UK i never once had to call them up to find out why my net had gone down, only to be told that an outside cable had been blown down by the wind and they were replacing with a new one ????

or that the reason my connection is slow is that i have an ‘old’ router, even though it was only installed 6 months ago by the ISP themselves.... must pay 1,500 to upgrade to the most recent modem.. 

and never once has adverse weather conditions affected my internet in the UK. Here even if it rains a bit you stand a good chance of your net going down for the evening ????

Occasional fast speeds they may have here, but as usual it is the shocking infrastructure that lets the side down. 

OK! My last broadband connection, on the edge of a long established town in Yorkshire ... new house, new village ... contract with BT gave the range 1 - 20 Mbs download. Along with everyone else in the village, I struggled to get 1 Mbs but, of course, I paid the same as anyone who got 20Mbs.

In the end, after so many promises and calls, I made a nuisance of myself. I had several home visits by engineers but they achieved nothing. Not surprisingly, no other provider would touch the area.

Here in rural Thailand, 200+ Mbs download speed on my iPad is my maximum. Laptop and phone slower but they still put Yorkshire to shame. Touching wood, very few disruptions of service here.

Edited by todlad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankfully I caught this thread on page 2.

When I'm in Thailand, I borrow the services (fiber optic) offered to my BIL. It is fast enough to peruse the internet, and to stream Netflix.

I pity the person (let's just say it, the fool) that requires something faster.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2