Thailand’s home internet fastest in the world

webfact

1 hour ago, HappyinNE said:

Dunroamin,  I just ran my speed in Nong Khai, which is way up in Issan, and got 580.4 Download, 344.1 Upload and 16.23 Latency.  The Upload and Latency numbers are a lot worst than usual for me. 

Please include the units for these numbers.

• Confused 2

I get 550mbps on True Fiber. Amazing speed. At 500 baht a month, for the first month. And a free streaming box, that gets me alot of channels. I love it. In the US it is far more costly. My downloads are super fast, if there are enough peers. Also, my 4G on True is blazing fast. Kudos to Thailand for making this happen. 

• Like 2

Just now, spidermike007 said:

You need to be in a decent sized city or town, to be able to get good fiber optic.

Apparently not: see thereport from an ‘Issan Village’ .

But you definitely need to be ‘not in Jomtien’.

1 minute ago, bjorn2 said:

Would be interesting to know if this is measured on domestic traffic or international. Domestic is very good, but international is not very impressive. I believe most tests that are tested domestic.

But I get picture freezing on Thai channel 3 and have 1 gb from 3BB , international iptv can often be worse through several iptv providers . 3BB techs unable to resolve however a speedtest on their laptop always shows 950 plus download but on my equipment i.e. chromebook laptop and android box 96 pro to LG tv only gives around 60 mbps down and up .

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You need to be in a decent sized city or town, to be able to get good fiber optic. It is worth it. Blazing fast. And no issues with streaming, video calls, downloads, etc. 

Why ?   fiber is fiber in town or not ? 

Differing reports of speeds and comparisons abroad. I have been here 18 years with Internet connection for all that time and never really had problems that would require me to complain. For the last few years I have 3BB and very rarely has there been down time that I have noticed, when some workmen are around doing minor repairs. I too, was upgraded 8 or 9 months ago to 5G completely free and no extra monthly charges.

I don't need the speeds that others talk of. I can watch anything on YouTube and other channels without interruptions and downloading anything is as fast as I need.

Yes, I am happy with what I have.

As others have said, there is little point in being number one in the general sense when for them it isn't!

Just now, spidermike007 said:

True. But to my knowledge fiber is not available in most rural areas, as most barely even have telephone lines, much less fiber. Am I wrong about that? 

I live in a semi rural area about 2 km from a small town and have fiber that is slow , pay for 1 gb but only get 60 mbps down and up , I could write a book on the amount of visits to my house by so called technicians from 3 BB

2 minutes ago, superal said:

I live in a semi rural area about 2 km from a small town and have fiber that is slow , pay for 1 gb but only get 60 mbps down and up , I could write a book on the amount of visits to my house by so called technicians from 3 BB

Sorry to hear that. Are you referring to LAN or wifi? With wifi I find that a supplemental router can make a big difference, like a higher end Netgear unit. 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

My son in Australia is quite envious, he has to pay 5 times as much to get the same speed as I do here.

I can remember back 20 years ago I'd really look forward to making a trip back to Australia so I could get decent internet, now the exact opposite is the case. When I'm in Australia I get a Vodafone sim, costs me about double what it costs me per month here in Thailand and whereas in Thailand I get unlimited d/l, in Australia I get 15-20gig a month, so streaming movies and doing large d/ls are out of the question as I need to be constantly conserving data. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, superal said:

also depends on the capability of your kit. my high end phone gets 500mdb down but my 3 year old hp laptop only gets 80mb. more if ethernet cat 8. needs better network card

• Thanks 1

I'm a Cheap Charlie. I pay for me and my wife's True Move unlimited data at 4mbps, and that's all the Internet I want to pay for. Works well enough for us, to do Premier League streaming through TrueID, YouTube, and streaming video apps.

Then I turn on the hotspot and do all that on my PC, which even works with video conferencing for my online teaching.

They do offer higher priced higher mobile speeds, but as been said, heh, you're not likely to get them.

Have True fibre into the house here in northern Nan province. Reasonably reliable service. Just ran three different speed tests. Download ranged from 260-330. Upload 330-360. Was surprised by the upload being higher, that's why I ran the different tests, all three had it higher.

32 minutes ago, beau thai said:

also depends on the capability of your kit. my high end phone gets 500mdb down but my 3 year old hp laptop only gets 80mb. more if ethernet cat 8. needs better network card

Thank You Beau ,  Just checked my 2 systems , 1 cable is cat 5e , the other is cat 6 , also same poor performance by wifi to top end mobile phones and laptops . Are my cables OK ?

I think the data has to be examined a little.

From what I read on this thread, many posters are falling short; well short in fact. If someone in Isan, or other out-in-the-sticks place, is only getting 60/40 then to average out at 300m someone has to be getting in excess of 600m.

Possible but improbable.

50 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to hear that. Are you referring to LAN or wifi? With wifi I find that a supplemental router can make a big difference, like a higher end Netgear unit. 

Thanks Mike ,   I have 2 set ups to TVs and both on ethernet cables , wifi also poor signal ,  the router is 3 BB supplied and their laptop plugged directly into the router gave 950 mbps . All a mystery to me . 

1 hour ago, superal said:

I pay 800 baht a month to 3BB for 1 gb fiber but get  60 mbps down and up . 3BB techs have been to my place a dozen or more times but cannot resolve the problem . Thay will not allow me to cancel without paying for the full 2 year contract plus the installation cost . 

Consequently my iptv often freezes even during the small hours .

I get from True 50 down and 20 up for 640 a month and my IPTV almost never buffers or freezes even when watching a FHD station

I wonder?  Are they working on figures given to them by the govt here (maybe TAT lol!)  or did they actually come out and test.

I've given up on 3BB because their techs are a waste of time, not worth them coming out because its always just some excuse!

True?  They ran a new fibre line down our soi about three months ago.  An hour after the linesmen left, the cable fell down across my driveway.  I poked it into the air again with a bamboo pole.  The village head and I have both immediately called TRUE several times but nothing done yet!

I previously had True in when I lived in Bangkok.  Every time after a rainy spell the internet would fail.  Each time True came out and renewed the connection in a small plastic box on the wall.  Maybe 3 or 4 times a year!  I started to watch the techs after the first couple of times they came and noticed the wire ends were corroded.  Each time they would cut off the old wire, strip the new end and reconnect.  My suggestion to use electrical tape to keep the moisture out was met with laughter and strange looks.  The next time I had the problem I didnt call but did it myself but sealed it with electrical tape.......I never had the problem again during the next 4 years I was in that house.

If Thailand does have the high success they claim I am sure its not due to its staffs' technical abilities nor to common sense being common here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

True. But to my knowledge fiber is not available in most rural areas, as most barely even have telephone lines, much less fiber. Am I wrong about that? 

I asked 3BB if they could supply fibre to the village house in Buriram and they wanted about 20,000 Baht to do it as a fibre cable would have needed to be run from the main road about 8kms away. Then they told me that it could/would be shared with anyone else in the village who subscribed (but would not have contributed to the 20,000 Baht). Ditched that idea and went with the 4G modem/router instead for the time there.

• Sad 1

I think they are referring to local speeds . Even then it’s hit and miss with alot of ISP’s. I use Virgin in the U.K. and nothing in Thailand comes close ( thst I have used) in my opinion for connection speeds to anywhere in the world.  

I might add that I download movies etc with news net servers and the only service in Thailand that actually gave me any download speed was AIS and 3BB. True was a joke .  It’s the international connections that are slow here.

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1