Thailand’s home internet fastest in the world

webfact

2 hours ago, superal said:

Thank You Beau ,  Just checked my 2 systems , 1 cable is cat 5e , the other is cat 6 , also same poor performance by wifi to top end mobile phones and laptops . Are my cables OK ?

I am not an expert but I am told cat 8 will be an improvement and its inexpensive to try. I also bought a small type C3.1 usb3.0 ethernet adapter (lazada)-also cheap but only just arrived so not tried yet.

But if you get poor results from wifi to top end phone I think your computer will be disappointing too.

I would get your provider technicians back - worst case they should be able to achieve at least 400 mb down, to your phones I think, if you are paying for gigabit.If they cant then the problem must be router or backwards surely?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rtco said:

I called out 3BB because my download sped was abysmal even with the super-duper 5g and associated router. They  checked it and what did they suggest? Connect to you router with an ethernet cable and you'll get the speed you want!!! Errr ... emmmm ... I don't always use my laptop in the same place in the house so if I wanted to move out of the home-office onto the back porch I would have to disconnect the ethernet cable and back then to my slow speed.    

What is this Super Duper 5g you mention please. Are you talking about 5G mobile data connection  or the 5GHz WiFi signal your router is sending out?

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You need to be in a decent sized city or town, to be able to get good fiber optic. It is worth it. Blazing fast. And no issues with streaming, video calls, downloads, etc. 

I am in a small village 40 km from Phitsanulok. 3BB fibre cable to my router, which they ungraded yesterday. 1ms ping, 980Mb/s down, 478 Mb/s upload on their 1000/500 Bht 749 package.

However, as soon as the VPN goes onto UK or Singapore, those figures go down. But still plenty fast enough to stream HD TV.

• Like 1

Funny to see that people still mistaken bandwith with internet speed. Even if I had a 1000 Mbit/s download lane if I want to see content on a website which is hosted in Germany, my connection still has to be routed through endless cables and it will sum up to a ping of approximately 260ms.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But to my knowledge fiber is not available in most rural areas, as most barely even have telephone lines, much less fiber. Am I wrong about that? 

I can not speak for other rural areas, but we live in a small village twenty km from the nearest small town and we have had broadband for over six years. The service in that time has steadily got better around two years ago we got a fibre connection. From 30 mbps, six years ago, we now get more than 500 mbps with little increase in price. I have nothing but praise for our provider 3BB. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What is this Super Duper 5g you mention please. Are you talking about 5G mobile data connection  or the 5GHz WiFi signal your router is sending out?

According to my log-in options on my laptop wi-fi I have the option of either 3.5g or 5g ... there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the tow.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, rtco said:

I have the option of 2.5g or 5g

Best to use correct terminolgy. WiFi routers typically broadcast signals on 2.4ghz or 5ghz wave bands. Whereas 5G is normally used as reference to mobile phone networks which is totally different technology. 2.4ghz WiFi signal travels further and better through walls however it is subject to slower speeds and more likely to suffer from interferance. 5ghz WiFi offers faster data transfer rates and is less prone to interferance but the signal won't penetrate walls as well. I find that using 5ghz WiFi on my Samsung Galaxy S20 phone drains the battery faster.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

BS, True vision keep telling me we can get up to 500 megs per second, rarely see over 50 megs. Maybe in Bangkok but definately not in Issan country.

Depends if you are measuring it via wifi or LAN cable. If you are measuring it via wifi you will only get as much as your hardware can deliver. Try plugging in a LAN cable for an accurate reading.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rtco said:

According to my log-in options on my laptop wi-fi I have the option of either 3.5g or 5g ... there doesn't seem to be that much difference between the tow.

Get it right. A minute ago it was 2.5, now it's 3.4, when really it is 2.4.

46 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Best to use correct terminolgy. WiFi routers typically broadcast signals on 2.4ghz or 5ghz wave bands. Whereas 5G is normally used as reference to mobile phone networks which is totally different technology. 2.4ghz WiFi signal travels further and better through walls however it is subject to slower speeds and more likely to suffer from interferance. 5ghz WiFi offers faster data transfer rates and is less prone to interferance but the signal won't penetrate walls as well. I find that using 5ghz WiFi on my Samsung Galaxy S20 phone drains the battery faster.

306497306_Wi-FiSpeeds.jpg.c8dcde8957c53e076989331f8c96850e.jpg

3 minutes ago, rtco said:

1708160835_Wi-FiSpeeds.jpg.f11c469df7e3f6d7315085a60bfdd19b.jpg

This means that you are connecting to your WiFi router via the 2.4 GHz channe. 

At the bottom it shows that there is also a 5GHz signal coming out of your router. SoiEddie explained the differences earlier.

Try connecting to that one instead, although some phones/laptops canoot access this network.

Had issues recently,TOT rolled out  within an hour which was good, told me to use the 5g as preference over the usuall 2.4 and it increased the speed dramatically but is much shorter in terms of distance for some reason.

Its actually gone completely this morning I am on data sim at the moment.????

45 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This means that you are connecting to your WiFi router via the 2.4 GHz channe. 

At the bottom it shows that there is also a 5GHz signal coming out of your router. SoiEddie explained the differences earlier.

Try connecting to that one instead, although some phones/laptops canoot access this network.

I've tried both and there is no discernable difference that is why I asked 3BB to come and sort it out in the first place and they suggested ethernet!!!

1 hour ago, dogfish180 said:

Depends if you are measuring it via wifi or LAN cable. If you are measuring it via wifi you will only get as much as your hardware can deliver. Try plugging in a LAN cable for an accurate reading.

LAN will also only deliver what your hardware can deliver - Check the specs of your LAN & WiFi cards. Pointless having a 1Gbps connection if your hardware only supports 100Mbps

19 minutes ago, rtco said:

I've tried both and there is no discernable difference that is why I asked 3BB to come and sort it out in the first place and they suggested ethernet!!!

Of course a LAN Ethernet cable will be faster than either WiFi channel. I bought a 10 metre CAT 6 cable from Lazada and threaded it from my downstairs office to the upstairs living room PC, with use of a lot of glue gun! Works perfectly with 1Gb/s on both PCs.

What’s the difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi?
Your wireless router uses radio frequencies to transmit internet to your WiFi-connected devices like smartphones, laptops, tablets and more. The difference between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz really comes down to two factors: bandwidth (speed) and range. Remember that the speeds you get over WiFi depend on the internet service speed you are paying for.

Article

Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet: How Much Better Is a Wired Connection?

Wi-Fi is obviously more convenient than wired Ethernet cables, but Ethernet still offers significant advantages. Join us as we take a look at the pros and cons of wired and wireless connections.

You probably won’t be connecting an Ethernet cable to your smartphone any time soon. But it’s usually worth running Ethernet cables to the devices that matter, if you can—gaming and media PCs (or consoles), backup devices, and set-top boxes being just a few examples. To help you make the decision, we’re going to take a look at the three main advantages of using Ethernet over Wi-Fi—faster speeds, lower latency, and reliable connections.

Article

On 1/21/2021 at 4:37 PM, Luuk Krueng said:

Funny to see that people still mistaken bandwith with internet speed. Even if I had a 1000 Mbit/s download lane if I want to see content on a website which is hosted in Germany, my connection still has to be routed through endless cables and it will sum up to a ping of approximately 260ms.

260ms would be the latency, not the speed.

5 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

260ms would be the latency, not the speed.

260ms is his ping (latency - both of these terms are used to measure round trips for packets of information) time, - he correctly measured ping in ms.  260ms means that he's either using a VPN, or he has a problem somewhere because that's an extremely slow ping time, and a very annoying lag if you're a gamer.

Edited by 2530Ubon

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Had issues recently,TOT rolled out  within an hour which was good, told me to use the 5g as preference over the usuall 2.4 and it increased the speed dramatically but is much shorter in terms of distance for some reason.

You must have an old router as the new ones will automatically switch to the fastest connection. I doubt if it will be 802.11ax but 802.11ac will switch automatically anyway

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Absorption is greater as the carrier frequency increases hence if going through a wall the attenuation is greater at 5G than at 2.4G

Edited by Pro1Expat