Thailand’s home internet fastest in the world

webfact

4 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

260ms is his ping (latency - both of these terms are used to measure round trips for packets of information) time, - he correctly measured ping in ms.  260ms means that he's either using a VPN, or he has a problem somewhere because that's an extremely slow ping time, and a very annoying lag if you're a gamer.

But if one is going to compared the speed of internet in various countries it wouldn't be valid to use the ping time alone  to do that.  Of course the ping time between Bangkok and New York is going to be long, at the speed of light it would take 93 milliseconds to go from Bangkok to New York and back if the most direct route is taken.  That 93ms might be important if you're a gamer but you can't blame it on your ISP.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:41 AM, goldenbrwn1 said:

I think they are referring to local speeds . Even then it’s hit and miss with alot of ISP’s. I use Virgin in the U.K. and nothing in Thailand comes close ( thst I have used) in my opinion for connection speeds to anywhere in the world.  

I might add that I download movies etc with news net servers and the only service in Thailand that actually gave me any download speed was AIS and 3BB. True was a joke .  It’s the international connections that are slow here.

International connections are very good with ToT, with or w/o a VPN. This speedtest is on a ToT fiber connection, ethernet CAT6, Asus AC86U router to a Seattle WA server on a 500Mbps pkg. costing 500 baht/month. Fit for purpose and reliable.

10798528998.png

Edited by codemonkey
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pro1Expat said:

Mobile data is slow yet they are pushing 5G. Doesnt make a lot of sense really

Why doesn't it make sense?  Not so many people have 5G-capable phones yet so not so many people get 5G speeds on their Mobile devices.

1 minute ago, suzannegoh said:

Why doesn't it make sense?  Not so many people have 5G-capable phones yet so not so many people get 5G speeds on their Mobile devices.

It is being promoted as a game changer. It wont be unless mobile speed are increased significantly. That is why it doesnt make sense.

8 minutes ago, Pro1Expat said:

It is being promoted as a game changer. It wont be unless mobile speed are increased significantly. That is why it doesnt make sense.

I was interpreting that data to reflect the speeds that current users are getting, not the capability if the infrastructure.  However I can't find anywhere on speedtest.net in which they describe their methodology in detail.  They must be filtering the data somehow, otherwise in the case of "Fixed" internet connections they would wind up reporting the average speeds of people's wifi rather than the average speed of the fibre internet coming into people's houses.

I was interpreting that data to reflect the speeds that current users are getting, not the capability if the infrastructure.  However I can't find anywhere on speedtest.net in which they describe their methodology in detail.  They must be filtering the data somehow, otherwise in the case of "Fixed" internet connections they would wind up reporting the average speeds of people's wifi rather than the average speed of the fibre internet coming into people's houses.

It is all to do with the infrastructure to a large extent. They can throttle the speed by reducing the bandwidth which they are very likely doing

3 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

It is all to do with the infrastructure to a large extent. They can throttle the speed by reducing the bandwidth which they are very likely doing

Yes, but I don't think that the data on SpeedTest directly reflects the capabilities of the infrastructure because (as you pointed out before) the client equipment is variable.  I think that all that they are doing is recording speedtest results that users initiate and filtering them.  They could still be correct that Thailand has the fastest connections but I'd take their 308 Mbps figure with a grain of salt.

Yes, but I don't think that the data on SpeedTest directly reflects the capabilities of the infrastructure because (as you pointed out before) the client equipment is variable.  I think that all that they are doing is recording speedtest results that users initiate and filtering them.  They could still be correct that Thailand has the fastest connections but I'd take their 308 Mbps figure with a grain of salt.

And it must not be forgotten, the speed and latency will depend on what switches you go through and how heavily congested they are at the time

9 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

And it must not be forgotten, the speed and latency will depend on what switches you go through and how heavily congested they are at the time

Normally speedtest connects you to the server in your areas that has the lowest ping time.  That's another thing that could make their data misleading.

However, overall I find their conclusions to be plausible.  My internet in Thailand is even faster than what they report and I don't subscribe to the fastest package that's available in my area.  While there are people popping up in this thread to say that they have all sorts of problems with their ISP or complaining about the 5GHz band of their router not being good "5G", that might just mean that ISPs have problems on a certain number of installations and/or that a certain number of users don't understand the technology well enough to know whether their problems are due to something on the ISPs end or on their end.

Edited by suzannegoh
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

Normally speedtest connects you to the server in your areas that has the lowest ping time.  That's another thing that could make their data misleading.

However, overall I find their conclusions to be plausible.  My internet in Thailand is even faster than what they report and I don't subscribe to the fastest package that's available in my area.  While there are people popping up in this thread to say that they have all sorts of problems with their ISP or complaining about the 5GHz band of their router not being good "5G", that might just mean that ISPs have problems on a certain number of installations and/or that a certain number of users don't understand the technology well enough to know whether their problems are due to something on the ISPs end or on their end.

Definitely plausible but would be nice to know what the actual setup was that they used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 6:51 AM, Pro1Expat said:

Definitely plausible but would be nice to know what the actual setup was that they used.

Say you had a "setup" ordained by God himself. You are still at the mercy of the server doling out data.

That server could also have been ordained, but if it is hit with millions of queries at one time, then you may experience latency on receiving data.

The internet, err network, is full of uncertainties. I would rather spend my day measuring pleasures of life than measuring the speed of my network at home.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gumballl said:

Say you had a "setup" ordained by God himself. You are still at the mercy of the server doling out data.

That server could also have been ordained, but if it is hit with millions of queries at one time, then you may experience latency on receiving data.

The internet, err network, is full of uncertainties. I would rather spend my day measuring pleasures of life than measuring the speed of my network at home.

If you're not interested in the subject matter why bother to comment?  Just to let us know that you are more enlightened than the rest of us?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've not read through this thread but I'm deeply involved in the IT industry in Thailand and just have to comment. I lost count how many times people come to me to say their in-to-net not working, only to point to one site they can't visit while everything else is fine. It's entirely legitimate to highlight the likelihood of the hosting server as being the source of the plomplem, but the user will just blame the IT guy, or 3BB, or whoever is nearest. Bleh, pfffft, idiots.

I also work with some Australian companies. The speeds they have on site are laughable compared to what we enjoy in Thailand. Same with the UK, the BT monopoly has turned the UK into a backwards state with regards to modern communications. I live in mountains, yet I have 3 separate 1 Gig fibre lines from different providers coming to my house (plus a 4G backup gateway of last resort). It costs pennies for what we have compared to what you pay in Europe.

About international speeds, it used to be the case that things slowed down internationally, but it's not really an issue any more. . . and actually, everyone's internet slows down internationally, in any country. Many new submarine cables are coming into service, recently I was surprised to see latency to my UK rackspace of less than 170 milliseconds. Amazing actually, must be pretty close to the theoretical best case.

Be careful with those speed tests by the way. 15 or more years ago I used to see comedy speed tests posted on ThaiVisa by posters boasting about their awesome speeds to the UK. . . except the ping times were often under 10 milliseconds. The ISPs back in those days were tricking customers by using local proxies for international speed tests \;-)

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 8:23 AM, Gumballl said:

555 Gese maybe someone should string us up by a tree because we like fast internet.

Fastest within Thailand. But bandwidth outside of Thailand is severely throttled is my suspicion. YouTube, Netflix etc all have content/caching servers nearby. Smaller foreign sites and streams are frequently way too slow. Latency is expected, but speeds should be usable. Using a VPN which normally slows things down, does speed things up which proves it. It wouldnt even surprise me if they handled speedtest traffic prioritized, some ip list that gets the full speed treatment.

Edited by Blablaat