Pastrami

Guderian

Is there any good deli-style pastrami available in Pattaya? I usually bring it back with me from a deli in the UK, but this last year that hasn't been an option. I tried the TGM locally-produced pastrami but wasn't very impressed with that, it's better than nothing but that's about all the praise I can give it. I've looked in Villa on many occasions but have never seen it there. Has anybody seen any in the various supermarkets, locally-made or imported, I don't mind as long as it's good?

12 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Is there any good deli-style pastrami available in Pattaya? I usually bring it back with me from a deli in the UK, but this last year that hasn't been an option. I tried the TGM locally-produced pastrami but wasn't very impressed with that, it's better than nothing but that's about all the praise I can give it. I've looked in Villa on many occasions but have never seen it there. Has anybody seen any in the various supermarkets, locally-made or imported, I don't mind as long as it's good?

Not sure if they still make it at the Big Kahuna on Thappraya. You might enquire.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Not sure if they still make it at the Big Kahuna on Thappraya. You might enquire.

Never been there, but it looks like a restaurant, or do they have a deli counter inside?

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Do you remember the make, was it TGM?

Don't think it was TGM, but was local. I am going there in a couple of days so will put it on my shopping list to remind me to look for it. German rye bread is sold in the bakery department too.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Guderian said:

Never been there, but it looks like a restaurant, or do they have a deli counter inside?

I meant that you should enquire with them. ????

https://food.grab.com/th/en/restaurant/บิ๊กคาฮูน่า-big-kahuna-ถนนทัพพระยา-delivery/3-CYWCVCMGVCCBJX

Seems like only corned beef now, but again, you should check with them to see what they can organise for you.

831425423_cornedbeef.jpg.4093336e261d3506c0c78e6238676bca.jpg175511327_cornedbeef1.jpg.58937938d8116a4a61dfb1f9f0920d60.jpg

Edited by Eindhoven

20 hours ago, Susco said:

I have by coincidence today the beef pastrami from TGM bought at Big C extra.

They also have the loaf and slice it to your requirements. Will let you know tomorrow how it tastes.

Tried the Pastrami from Big C this morning, not a bad taste, in fact no taste at all, so will not bother again. Lucky I bought only 100 gram'

The black forest ham at Foodland is my go to. Taste good and inexpensive

Katz's deli on the lower East Side of Manhattan.  My mom was born a block away on Orchard St. over a hundred years ago.  My parents used to take me into Manhattan from Queens once a month for a Katz's Pastrami sandwich.  Still the best in the world.  I was last there in November of 19 with my cousin right before Covid hit.

For  Pattaya, the pickins are slim.  The TGM stuff is <deleted>.  Sloane's is found occasionally in Villa or Central near the imported cold cuts.  He's a Brit butcher in Bangkok and his pastrami is OK.  A bit on the tough side but a decent taste.  It should be cut thinner.

Not cheap, either.  A 200 gram package is 290 baht.  Take it or leave it.

When they can get it, Central makes a pastrami burger that is decent in the upscale food court.

What happened to the Pastrami on Rye restaurant in Jomtien after it was bought and closed down, by someone in Bangkok I think? Did they start a new shop/restaurant up there, or even a chain, and if so then why haven't they opened a branch in Pattaya? I never tried it myself, but I recall a lot of positive comments about their pastrami.

b4820bec540ffd68b2e566e8ef580931.jpg

Edited by Guderian