Prayut’s moment of truth arrives

snoop1130

Prayut’s moment of truth arrives

20-High-light-of-the-week.png

The prime minister can be forgiven if he assumes that his previous problems were “political”, albeit ones that had more to do with ideology and power play than genuine well-being of the people. He will be disastrously wrong, however, if he makes the same assumption about the current trouble.

COVID-19 is very good at separating real problems from “less-real” ones. It has done so with many countries and is doing so with Thailand. In the process, the government’s biggest weaknesses have been exposed, a situation that opinion polls and even the administration’s supporters agree cannot be handled or diverted by rhetoric. In short, Prayut will have to bite the bullet.

Corrupted immigration authorities and illegal gambling houses have combined to allow the coronavirus to wreak havoc in Thailand again. Although this does not mean that stricter measures on foreign labour and widespread gambling would have made the country 100 per cent safe from the second wave, there is no denying that the government’s weakest spots had made the door much wider open.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prayuts-moment-of-truth-arrives/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-20

• Like 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Corrupted immigration authorities and illegal gambling houses have combined to allow the coronavirus to wreak havoc in Thailand again.

Something that he pledged he would wipe-out after the election... dereliction of duty?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

They are the protectors of the trough, they won't go anywhere in a hurry! Maybe a coup would unseat them! Who has the firepower wins!

And the nod from up high, that's unless it's a real coup as in "Do can hear the people sing........" 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

I'm sorry, using the words "Prayut" and "truth" in the same sentence does not compute!!

Not even when it means "day of reckoning!"

I Iike him.  He compares well with many in the western world, 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I Iike him.  He compares well with many in the western world, 

It is right to distrust a comment which is immediately followed by a reason appearing to justify the opinion. It is odd though, it rather seems that many other leaders of the western world try to avoid him when possible - he's a bit of a pariah on the international stage - still, he's a democrat. He must be, he keeps saying so. Doubtless he's another one whom all Thais love; if he says it, it must be true.

Edited by Glaswegian2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glaswegian2 said:

It is right to distrust a comment which is immediately followed by a reason appearing to justify the opinion. It is odd though, it rather seems that many other leaders of the western world try to avoid him when possible - he's a bit of a pariah on the international stage - still, he's a democrat. He must be, he keeps saying so. Doubtless he's another one whom all Thais love; if he says it, it must be true.

there is no absolute format for a good 'politician' if such a person ever exists.  One can only compare and contrast when one is not a citizen of the country in question.  As far as I can see, he does okay, on Covid, better than okay,  and there are no better alternatives around that could do a better job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He and his utterly hapless and stunningly incompetent army have failed us once again, and he needs to admit the failure, apologize to the nation, and fall on his sword, metaphorically, by handing in his resignation, in utter humiliation. 

A speech to the nation. "I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand. This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. We are two sorry. 

Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost. And the truly astonishing aspect of this, that few seem to be discussing, is that this could have been at least partly avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakorn (just a relatively small section of the province, actually) the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? It is one of the largest seafood distribution centers in Thailand, and it would have meant the loss of a small fortune, for some. So, it came down to sacrificing a large fortune, and the nations economy, for a relatively small out of money, coming from those seafood sales. Nothing else makes sense. No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. 

I would love to do a poll, and ask how many of us and how many Thais, thought the army would use this latest outbreak to their advantage? To flex their feeble muscles, even more? To put down the return of the promised protests? To contain the masses?

How about if we turn this around on them. I don't know about you, but I am quite angry right now. They allowed this to happen, after all. This could have been so easily prevented. So, what the ex-pat community, and the Thai people should be asking is:

1. How can you demonstrate to us, that you are up for the task of leadership?
2. What are you doing to prove that you can and will protect us?
3. Instead of contact tracing us, how about we trace you, and make sure you are doing your job? How about you report to us daily, and let us know how you are handling and containing this epidemic that happened on your watch? Stop talking, and start working, and doing your jobs.
4. Why did you not prevent this? How did you allow these corrupt officials to let infected people in? Why is nobody in a position of power being arrested? Why aren't heads rolling?
5. Why are you not making the vaccines more of a priority? Why isn't the army sacrificing some of its huge budget for the people? 
6. What are you planning on offering the people in the way of assistance, so they can survive this disaster you helped create?
7. Can you demonstrate to us why you think Anutin, who has no background whatsoever in the filed of health, is up for the task of tackling this emergency?
8. And why are you shutting down so many businesses, yet you allowed ground zero to remain open to people coming and going since this latest outbreak happened, only closing the province down yesterday? Why such bad decisions, and such extreme incompetence? How do you justify that? How do you explain that? Thousands of cases emanated from Samut province. You knew that would happen. 
9. How about a compulsory level of competence and experience, for all future administration appointments to key positions?
10. Why have you been so hard on foreigners, making it so incredibly difficult to fly in, yet so lax on the borders?
11. Why should we allow you to remain in power? What have you done lately to deserve that power? 

And how about tourism, both international and domestic. What brilliant plans have you come up with lately? In addition to the 40,000 expats and business people who returned, how many tourists have signed onto your ridiculous quarantine program? Total? 4,000? Maybe? Any program requiring quarantine is destined to fail. Testing and vaccines. That is the answer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Great post, I really enjoyed reading it, but #11? Is there anything, anything at all in this country which can be done to unseat him? I don't think so except maybe if it was a group of  Generals, but even so we would be no better of as these Military Academy educated people know nothing about running a country, as is proved time and time again, and we would just get another Unelected "PM".

The only thing that Prayuth is skilled in (and it's a relative term), is appearances, and let's be honest, there aren't that many sigma3-or-better intellects in Thailand; if you told them that a cow is a pig, many would believe you.

So the government continues to attend mainly to appearances, knowing that they'll likely get away with it if they say that all Thais love Mr Prayuth. If it worked once, it'll likely work twice eh? Appearances 10: Reality 2 (or less).

• Like 1

Once again we see the grumpy choir of foreigners spitting in the well that we all drink from.

Again I ask myself why all those miserable ex patriates, who suffer so badly in this country, don't pack their belongings and return to their precious homeland.  

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

He and his utterly hapless and stunningly incompetent army have failed us once again, and he needs to admit the failure, apologize to the nation, and fall on his sword, metaphorically, by handing in his resignation, in utter humiliation. 

A speech to the nation. "I am so sorry. I could have stopped this from happening. Same goes for my health minister. We are both handing in our resignation, starting tomorrow. We really dropped the ball, and failed. It is the right thing to do. I now realize both myself and Anutin have been way over our heads, this entire time. We take responsibility. Forgive us, if u can, but we will never forgive ourselves for failing you, the people of Thailand. This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. We are two sorry. 

Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost. And the truly astonishing aspect of this, that few seem to be discussing, is that this could have been at least partly avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakorn (just a relatively small section of the province, actually) the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? It is one of the largest seafood distribution centers in Thailand, and it would have meant the loss of a small fortune, for some. So, it came down to sacrificing a large fortune, and the nations economy, for a relatively small out of money, coming from those seafood sales. Nothing else makes sense. No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. 

I would love to do a poll, and ask how many of us and how many Thais, thought the army would use this latest outbreak to their advantage? To flex their feeble muscles, even more? To put down the return of the promised protests? To contain the masses?

How about if we turn this around on them. I don't know about you, but I am quite angry right now. They allowed this to happen, after all. This could have been so easily prevented. So, what the ex-pat community, and the Thai people should be asking is:

1. How can you demonstrate to us, that you are up for the task of leadership?
2. What are you doing to prove that you can and will protect us?
3. Instead of contact tracing us, how about we trace you, and make sure you are doing your job? How about you report to us daily, and let us know how you are handling and containing this epidemic that happened on your watch? Stop talking, and start working, and doing your jobs.
4. Why did you not prevent this? How did you allow these corrupt officials to let infected people in? Why is nobody in a position of power being arrested? Why aren't heads rolling?
5. Why are you not making the vaccines more of a priority? Why isn't the army sacrificing some of its huge budget for the people? 
6. What are you planning on offering the people in the way of assistance, so they can survive this disaster you helped create?
7. Can you demonstrate to us why you think Anutin, who has no background whatsoever in the filed of health, is up for the task of tackling this emergency?
8. And why are you shutting down so many businesses, yet you allowed ground zero to remain open to people coming and going since this latest outbreak happened, only closing the province down yesterday? Why such bad decisions, and such extreme incompetence? How do you justify that? How do you explain that? Thousands of cases emanated from Samut province. You knew that would happen. 
9. How about a compulsory level of competence and experience, for all future administration appointments to key positions?
10. Why have you been so hard on foreigners, making it so incredibly difficult to fly in, yet so lax on the borders?
11. Why should we allow you to remain in power? What have you done lately to deserve that power? 

And how about tourism, both international and domestic. What brilliant plans have you come up with lately? In addition to the 40,000 expats and business people who returned, how many tourists have signed onto your ridiculous quarantine program? Total? 4,000? Maybe? Any program requiring quarantine is destined to fail. Testing and vaccines. That is the answer. 

Well put,  but can just imagine the PM and his lackies immediately losing what English reading and comprehension skills they posses after about the second line - - "we no understand". 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The water in the well is putrid and fetid mate, some of us would actually like to help the Thais get some clean, fresh water for a change.

By the looks of things more and more Thais are coming round to our way of thinking too.

The day will come, when is the question. 

• Like 1